128GB SD Card issues

part 4>
2) Higher speed better?
Thinkware has designed the camera with Class-10 speeds necessary for proper operation (that's the C10 symbol on the card). This indicates 10MB/sec write-speed minimum and a high-speed bus mode. Thus, slower cards of class 2, 4, and 6 (normal speed bus) will not work properly or at all. UHS speeds refer to minimum write speeds as well. UHS-1 meaning minimum 10MB/sec write speed, while the much faster UHS-3 indicates a minimum write speed of 30MB/sec. These ratings simultaneously indicate that the card is compatible with an Ultra-High-Speed Bus. In our Thinkware cameras, the card bus is compatible with UHS-1 cards, but not compatible with UHS-3 cards (***UPDATE*** User below posting that Sandisk Extreme U-3 card is working...see post following all of mine). So even though a UHS-3 card is three times as fast (in write speed), it is a terrible choice and will not likely work(but maybe...see update immediately above). I saw someone say their's worked, including below, but many who said it would not and Blackboxmycar.com tech said not to use these...that they don't work.
There is one parameter, sorted out by our esteemed colleague on here, "Dee_82" from the U.K., which may determine which cards work well and why higher speed cards don't seem to work better a lot of the time. Random read speed. Specifically, cards with high "multi/single threaded random read" speeds seem to do well and be compatible with our Thinkware machines. This speed parameter is not advertised on cards and is often slower on the "fastest" cards and higher on some "slower" cards.

Answer: No. Use Class-10, UHS-1 cards, as recommended. Faster not likely to work. (except if you can determine that a card has a high multi/single threaded random read speed, it may work well)

Last edited:
part 5>
3) High-Endurance Card? High endurance cards, from consensus reading, can re-record 3-5x as many cycles as "regular" cards. They are much more expensive, up front; but, when you factor-in cost of shipping, time-cost of shopping, time lost without a card (and thus risk of missing critical video), you likely want to spend the extra money for a high-endurance card. After doing the math, it's a no-brainer: card at double the cost, but lasts 3 times as long, means it ends up less expensive! So we all want a high-endurance card (unless we can find a really inexpensive card that we can buy for 1/3 the price)....IF it's compatible. One of the best cards out there is Transcend High Endurance 64GB:Transcend High-Endurance.png But it is unclear from reading comments if this card works or not. I have read one person on here, Veimus, say that it would not work in their Thinkware F770. He/she got an "error / reboot" message repeatedly. Crap. Plus, it's over $70 ! So not exactly a bargain. AND, what if we find that we're going to get double the recording time from a 128GB card? Then I might say "forget the high-endurance, I'll take the 128GB card". From Transcend's web site:
"Transcend's high endurance microSDXC/SDHC card is built with high-quality MLC NAND flash chips to withstand up to 12,000 hours of Full HD video recording" This is a good card, albeit expensive, if it will work (Anyone???--please chime in if you have tried this card!!!) And I suggest forget listening to people on the phone who say "if it's a card with the right specs it should work fine" because they are not experienced with Thinkware cams and their compatibility issues and the Sandisk Ultra cards are a perfect example. Many have bought them and many have had nothing but headaches as a result.

Last edited:
part 6>
Then there is the Lexar High-Endurance 64GB card! Look at THIS option!!!:Lexar High-Endurance.png $30 on Amazon with free shipping!! FANTASTIC !! (except...see below)

Or the Sandisk (don't get put off by the name. They make high-quality cards, but the Ultra is to be avoided with our cameras as it's not compatible): Sandisk HE.png This is a High-Endurance card for $31 !! But I don't know if it works seemlessly with our cameras or not.

Lexar71.png part 7>
3) Which brand? Well, we know that the Thinkware cards are compatible and work well. Considering what my time is worth, this entire endeavor and learning experience cost me way more money than I'd ever spend simply buying their 64GB card, replacing with another when needed, and calling it good. They also have robust durability to heat and cold and weather (much better than many others). I have, however, enjoyed learning and being educated and enjoy the whole project of "ferreting" this all out for those of you who were like me until I took you into this rabbit hole with me. That said, it leaves a very foul taste in my mouth to pay premium dollar for a dash cam and then allow the same company to pigeon-hole me into buying their over-priced card. I also feel that it's very possible they purposely designed their software/hardware/firmware package to be incompatible with other manufacturers' cards. This makes me not want to give-in to potentially abysmal tactics and thus to resist. I will almost certainly use a different card, myself. I ordered the camera (F800) with the 16GB Thinkware card and will use that card to tide me over after the first 64GB or 128GB card goes bad and I have to order a new one. During the change-over, I'll use the 16GB Thinkware card until the new one arrives. I think this is a good strategy for anyone who is going to buy a camera.

--Lexar: Good cards. 633x 128GB card works well (if you're careful to get the one with product number ending in "R", not the newer ones ending in "A"...or something like that). They have, what I perceived to be possibly the best danged card out there for us (especially their $30 Lexar High-Endurance 64GB Class-10, UHS-1 card...as pictured above).
Problem: card can't be found. B&M photo and all huge camera retailers have this on "backorder". No problem, you say, "I'll wait!". Yeah. I figured it was worth the $30 to try. Well, it's no longer listed on Amazon (disappeared from Amazon Wednesday night). Nobody seems to have it...anywhere. If someone can find one, please sell it to me so I can try it and see if it works (perhaps as a bit of repayment for producing this post and helping the community?)
Next problem. Lexar is no longer. That's right. They are no longer making memory cards. As of two months ago, Micron Technologies, LTD--the maker of Lexar cards--shut down Lexar's memory division. No more cards going to be produced. No more cards, no support, no High-Endurance 64GB cards coming. ;(
This card still available and reported to work well. Blackboxmycar.com recommended: Lexar71.png$71

Attachments

• Lexar28.png
    Lexar28.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
part 8>
These too, except need verification that the 300x works well (the 300x is still Class-10): Lexar21.png $21 Lexar28.png $28

--Samsung: Good cards. Proven to work well. Blackboxmycar.com recommended

Samsung 64.png $28 Samsung 128.png $49
Won't last like a high-endurance card, but ....?? Do I buy the 128 or get a 64 with a "free replacement when it goes bad" ? (pretty compelling reason to go with the 64 if the 128 doesn't really work out to help much with recording time or card life)

--Sandisk: Don't mess with the Ultra cards. They have serious compatibility issues with our cameras. (have seen a couple people say they use them ok, but many, many with problems)
Would really like to know if the High-Endurance card works with our cameras! Other cards from Sandisk work well, but I forget which ones. Good cards. Not a problem with quality, just compatibility with some cards.

Last edited:
Good post, to the one above me :)

I decided to pay $60 for the SanDisk 128GB but I didn't have 8 hours driving time yet to see if it uses the whole card.

See my previous post about testing the cards.

P.s. how's the F800?

part 9>
--Transcend: Good cards. This one, per Veimus, not working though: Transcend High-Endurance.png $70+ Others said it worked well (if I recall correctly)

This one reported to work well: Transcend 400x.png $30 Transcend 128-75.png $75 ! (anyone know if this one works well? And do we care with the Sandisk Evo + costing so much less?)

So there you have it. I've spent a lot of time and energy to learn the "ins and outs" of these cards with Thinkware cameras and have come to this conclusion:

1) Thinkware needs to change their card compatibility issues and increase memory capacity (as well as add options to turn off rear-view when parked, vacation-mode, etc)
2) We need more info on card bus adapters which allow external, very high-capacity external memory devices (would solve vacation, 2- camera parking mode)
3)We need someone to find/make a high-endurance card that works reliably
4) We could really use info on real-life measurements of recording time before rewrite on 128GB cards vs 64GB cards
5) We could use info on real-life card life in Thinkware cams (especially dual camera set-ups)

part 10>
MY CHOICES:
1) Lexar High-Endurance 64GB, if I can find one ($30!!). If it works, I'll buy a second one and be set for years.
2) Sandisk High-Endurance 64GB, if someone can give me a report that it works flawlessly.
3) Transcend High-Endurance 64GB if someone can give me a report that it works flawlessly.
4) Samsung Evo + (64GB or 128GB depending on what feedback anyone can give on experience with different capacity cards)
5) Transcend 64GB (if no good evidence for benefit of 128GB cards)

IF I HAD TO BUY ONE CARD TODAY FOR THINKWARE F750, 770, 800:

Samsung Evo+ 64GB Samsung 64.png $28 Amazon

PLEASE: Anyone with real-world experience, please share card life, compatibility, recording time differences, etc regarding these cards! We all want to know what the best choice really is!!!

Thank you (to Gil too! for input and testing!)

Good post, to the one above me :)

I decided to pay $60 for the SanDisk 128GB but I didn't have 8 hours driving time yet to see if it uses the whole card.

See my previous post about testing the cards.

P.s. how's the F800?
Hey Gil,
Seriously appreciate you doing real-world testing. My F800 is in the mail. I've never had a dashcam before so it's going to be great. Have front and back cameras. Would have gone with 770, but 800 was only $40 more. I don't care about the 800 pro coming out soon. Don't need cloud capability and such, I don't imagine. Will really look forward to your testing and what you see. If it uses the whole card, it's hard to imagine that the card won't last a lot longer.

This is the card I have mentioned in several threads on the forum.........

Works absolutely fine, no issues, formatted in the dash cam.
No flukes as I bought a second unit, one for the UK to include 'Safety' cameras in the UK and one for France, to include French 'Safety' cameras, however Thinkware are one of the companies who in line with French authority do not allow pre camera warnings and yet my Garmin Sat-Nav who I believe use the same source for their information, do pre warn you in a manner "Danger Zone" no mention of cameras !! (Wink).
Max.

i put a brand new one of these in last night https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/attachments/samsung-128-png.32616/ and it said it started recording . came to car this morning switched on card and it says please insert memory card system restarting over and over so had to put my samsing 64gb back in. nothing had been recorded over night on the 128gb card . i have latest firmware

A bit surprising that the Sandisk extreme works with the UHS-3 bus speed. But I guess it varies card to card. Also, seriously disappointing that the Samsung Evo+ 128GB is not working. Those were reported to be compatible and working by many. Maxspeed, you said you've had two of these work. Have you had any experience on if the card is recording longer than a 64GB card? No reliability issues? Over what total time of use?

ive tried two of Samsung Evo+ 128GB now . the first one last week. i took it out of my phone , formated it then put it into dashcam . all it kept saying was insert memory card system restarting . it killed the card ,when i put it back into pc i couldnt format it again as windows wouldnt even acknowledge i had inserted a micro sd card back into pc . the phone wouldnt recognize it as a drive nor would any other dashcam or pc so got a replacement.
the replacement i tried said it was recording but it wasnt saving anything . i originally formatted it in dashcam now it just says insert memory casrd . ill reformat on pc today and try again later

I'm slightly puzzled when confirmation of a named 128gb card has been proved to work with no issues in formatting within the dash cam or the results of recordings and yet people opt to go for a different manufacturer ?.
Any body out there got the F800 yet and despite earlier press releases can they confirm that there is only one F800 model and not two variants that I have seen banded around ?.
Max.

And I tested the 128 Gb from Samsung, which ran for a day smoothless and decided overnight to quit working, and wont work anymore now.
Ive tested the 16 Gb card from Thinkware, a 32 Gb from Transcend (from my other dashcam) and the 128 Gb Samsung Evo

Beginning with the Samsung EVO 128 GB (MicroSDXC UHS-I Grade 3 Class 10)
Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 5.2.2 x64 (C) 2007-2017 hiyohiyo
                           Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) :    33.240 MB/s
  Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) :    27.259 MB/s
  Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :     4.965 MB/s [  1212.2 IOPS]
 Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :     3.222 MB/s [   786.6 IOPS]
         Sequential Read (T= 1) :    33.135 MB/s
        Sequential Write (T= 1) :    27.262 MB/s
   Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     4.623 MB/s [  1128.7 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     2.864 MB/s [   699.2 IOPS]

Test : 100 MiB [D: 50.4% (60.1/119.2 GiB)] (x5)  [Interval=5 sec]
  Date : 2017/08/12 7:16:13

The Transcend 32 GB (MicroSDHC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10)
Code:

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) :    34.067 MB/s
  Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) :     8.361 MB/s
  Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :     4.096 MB/s [  1000.0 IOPS]
 Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :     0.950 MB/s [   231.9 IOPS]
         Sequential Read (T= 1) :    32.927 MB/s
        Sequential Write (T= 1) :     7.340 MB/s
   Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     3.572 MB/s [   872.1 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     0.852 MB/s [   208.0 IOPS]

Test : 100 MiB [D: 0.0% (0.0/29.5 GiB)] (x5)  [Interval=5 sec]
  Date : 2017/08/12 7:31:25

And the Thinkware 16 GB (MicroSDHC UHS-I Grade 1)
Code:

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) :    33.105 MB/s
  Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) :    20.997 MB/s
  Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :     5.005 MB/s [  1221.9 IOPS]
 Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :     1.362 MB/s [   332.5 IOPS]
         Sequential Read (T= 1) :    31.876 MB/s
        Sequential Write (T= 1) :    19.504 MB/s
   Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     4.180 MB/s [  1020.5 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     0.990 MB/s [   241.7 IOPS]

Test : 100 MiB [D: 52.2% (7.8/14.9 GiB)] (x5)  [Interval=5 sec]
  Date : 2017/08/12 7:54:24

Spec wise you should expect that the Samsung SD would work with the Thinkware F770
I'm going to test the transcend 32 GB card today, just for the fun of it and see what it is going to report.
And going to try to format the Samsung in my other dashcam and insert it back in the Thinkware!

Update; formatted the 128 gb card in the other dashcam, and inserted it again in my Thinkware F770 and it does not continuesly report "insert memory card" So far, so good!!
Now going to see how long it will stay that way!

Update 2;
Bwah, after just 1 hour of parking mode the F770 allreade shouts "Insert Memory Card!!"
Inserted the slow 32 GB from Transcend and until now (3 hours later and a road trip) no problems???

A bit surprising that the Sandisk extreme works with the UHS-3 bus speed. But I guess it varies card to card. Also, seriously disappointing that the Samsung Evo+ 128GB is not working. Those were reported to be compatible and working by many. Maxspeed, you said you've had two of these work. Have you had any experience on if the card is recording longer than a 64GB card? No reliability issues? Over what total time of use?
Hello Samba.
All I can give you is some idea of the recording time/coverage, I have the 2 channel F770 with the card I previously mentioned.

We travelled back through France to the UK via ferries and then up toward North Yorkshire, on checking the recording it had started to overwrite approx part way through the French leg of the journey, the vehicle I had at that time would take approx 20 minutes to totally shut down, I had it hard wired but I did not use the parking mode feature as my then model car are well known for poor battery longevity.

At a very rough guesstimate I would say a total of 7 to maybe 8 hours of recording time perhaps a tad higher if I try to factor in the shutdown periods, I can say that our UK leg of the journey is 4.5 hours if that fits in with what the techno phobes amongst you what you would expect from a 128gb card then I would be very interested in your comments as I am basically 'An end user' and bow to those more experienced in applying non overly invasive surgery, so in essence I can only convey my experience.
AND
just to again confirm I have had no issues, the only message I get which perhaps is time based, is 'Regularly format memory card to ensure data integrity' , but I, up to now ignore it and it goes immediately into recording.

Max.

Hi maxspeed. I believe a 64GB card with dual channel recording will produce about 4 hours of recorded data.
Thinkware has this listed in their website somewhere.

So a 128GB should produce 8 hours of recorded data.

If you have 8 hours of recorded data, this is surprisingly good. It means the dashcam utilises the entire 128GB capacity (119GB to be exact)

There is still the risk that 8 hours data may produce corrupted files.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Hi maxspeed. I believe a 64GB card with dual channel recording will produce about 4 hours of recorded data.
Thinkware has this listed in their website somewhere.

So a 128GB should produce 8 hours of recorded data.

If you have 8 hours of recorded data, this is surprisingly good. It means the dashcam utilises the entire 128GB capacity (119GB to be exact)

There is still the risk that 8 hours data may produce corrupted files.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Hello Gil.
Well with my guesstimate and what you quote it more or less confirms the recording time, I randomly scanned through the recording as I wanted to get some rough idea that I benefited from using a 128gb, I also needed to ensure that I had on record a section of the M1 owing to some dubious night road works I mentioned in another thread, fortunately came to nothing, but picking out sequences every so often from the recording did not display any indications of corrupt data.
I'm quite chuft that my ad hoc findings are more or less in line with what you hope to expect by doubling the size of card..... Champion.:)

Max.

Reactions: Gil
Hi Folks.
Just installed the 770 2 channel into a BMW 5 Series F11 and initially used the supplied card, but with a lengthy route shortly I purchased a SanDisk 128gb SDXC UHS-1 offers speeds up to 90MB/s.
Formatted it in the camera and currently recording OK.

Max.
Can you tell me which one Sandisk 128Gb you are using. I look up at bestbuy there 3 different one at the store.
My Samsung evo+ 128gb from bestbuy finally givivg me the same problem after good use for 4 months. It make my F770 reboot if try to formate it. When try format by computer it take hours then show sd card empty but after close and open folder again everything is back.

Can you tell me which one Sandisk 128Gb you are using. I look up at bestbuy there 3 different one at the store.
My Samsung evo+ 128gb from bestbuy finally givivg me the same problem after good use for 4 months. It make my F770 reboot if try to formate it. When try format by computer it take hours then show sd card empty but after close and open folder again everything is back.

Yes looks like 'Photobucket' have thrown their dummy out of the pram..

Trust this helps and just to confirm I have not encountered any problems with these cards, I use two to cover a very lengthy journey.

J.

Attachments

• 20170626_165403 (2).jpg
    20170626_165403 (2).jpg
    283 KB · Views: 19
Back