2021 Climate Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprisingly, especially for Nigel I'm sure, one of the countries included in those counts is..... (drum roll please).... the UK.
I guess it is rarely used in the UK, within the USA embassy in London, but that must be about it, otherwise its use would be very confusing!

We use the two formats that are "alphabetically"/Unicode sortable into date order, however when putting the year first, it is always in long format as a 4 digit year, because, as the Canadians explain:

The YYYY - MM - DD format is the only method of writing a numeric date in Canada that allows unambiguous interpretation, and the only officially recommended format.

Why the USA alone chooses to use a format which can't easily be sorted and which doesn't allow unambiguous interpretation from date formats used in the rest of the world, I don't understand... but they have a similar situation with measurement units!

Petrol shortage cuz some muppets thought keep the petrol station tanks low to have more cash to spend on the dogs.

Why the USA alone chooses to use a format which can't easily be sorted and which doesn't allow unambiguous interpretation from date formats used in the rest of the world, I don't understand... but they have a similar situation with measurement units!

As you are well aware, nations all over the world use any of three different notational conventions for date and time and hundreds of millions of us here in the USA and many millions elsewhere in the world have no trouble "sorting" the use of mm/dd/yy, nor do the 1,446,372,638 people in China who use yyyy/mm/dd.

It is outrageous to witness your habitual disdain and disapproval of virtually every aspect of US life and culture. It has been a constant with you since you first arrived on the web site. There is no other member here on DCT who is as hypercritical and abusive towards conventions, habits and characteristics of other nations, particularity the USA as you are.

It is as if anything outside the conventions and comfort of your own little personal provincial bubble in the UK is alien and terrifying to you and thus receives your condemnation.

It's UK tradition to voice their jealousy of the US through things like 'last place to not use metric' or 'expensive healthcare' while being absolute garbage themselves.

I guess it is rarely used in the UK, within the USA embassy in London, but that must be about it, otherwise its use would be very confusing!
Ah yes, another bit of uncited, speculative 'Nigel Knowledge'. The information came from a source you selected as being accurate for the purpose of attempting (and failing) to bolster your previous assertion that the mm/dd/yy format was uniquely a USA usage - which, in case you haven't realized it yet, your information source conclusively disproved your assertion.

Now you 'claim' that usage of the MM/DD/YY format in the UK is constrained to the USA embassy in London. Provide a verifiable source for that claim. Failure to do so will be a tacit acknowledgement that you can't and are, once again, formulating 'theories' for the sole purpose of trying to legitimize your fantasies and biases.

I again notice that you, as is typical when challenged about your inaccurate 'Nigel Knowledge', failed to address, or even acknowledge, the the other 28 areas where your cited information source conclusively discredits your claim that the USA usage of the mm/dd/yy was 'in fact unique in the world'. No need to respond to this as the information itself stands on its own.

Why the USA alone chooses to use a format which can't easily be sorted
You know Nigel, there are times when I'm almost, but not quite, embarrassed for you when you choose to publicly display the level of ignorance that you sometimes do on this forum.

Used as a single entity mm/dd/yy (or mm/dd/yyyy) dates will be sorted with the same level of inaccuracy as dd/mm/yy (or dd/mm/yyyy) dates - and neither is going to produce results that are chronological correct - so in this context the UK standard is as egregious as the USA standard.

The only format that is accurately 'sortable' as a single entity is yyyy/mm/dd. Areas that use a date format that can 'easily be sorted' are those areas that use yyyy/mm/dd format exclusively (there are 9 that fall in this category) which would exclude the UK and many other areas as well as the USA. There are 51 areas that use yy/mm/dd in conjunction with another format and that includes both the USA and UK.

The below example shows the results of sorting dates of differing formats using the entire date string as a single data item. It shows the YY/MM/DD dates sorted chronologically correct. The MM/DD/YY format groups the months together while the DD/MM/YY format groups days together both of which are incorrect. This conclusively demonstrates that both the MM/DD/YY and DD/MM/YY formats will not 'easily be sorted' to a chronologically correct sequence when used as a single entity as versus it's component parts.

YYYY/MM/DD MM/DD/YYYY DD/MM/YYYY

2012/03/15 03/15/2012 15/03/2012
2012/03/20 03/15/2013 15/03/2013
2012/04/15 03/20/2012 15/04/2012
2012/04/20 03/20/2013 15/04/2013
2013/03/15 04/15/2012 20/03/2012
2013/03/20 04/15/2013 20/03/2013
2013/04/15 04/20/2012 20/04/2012

2013/04/20 04/20/2013 20/04/2013

There is no difference in the usability of date formats between the USA and the UK, only a difference in format.

As to the 'USA alone' choosing 'to use a format which can't easily be sorted' again your data source shows a total of 191 countries that do not include a yy/mm/dd (the only format that will sort correctly) option in date formats which is hardly the 'USA alone', and in fact does not include the USA which does, as does the UK. You really should review your data source, and learn something about the subject, before making these types of assertions.

I can also assure you that, based on over 30 years of software development experience, that any date format can 'easily be sorted' to a chronologically correct sequence simply by using the individual mm, dd, and yy/yyyy components (either as uniquely defined data items or a sub-string of the full date) versus the entire date as a whole. If you knew anything at all about computer programming, sorting algorithms and data structures it would be obvious to you and save you from embarrassing yourself by making such ridiculous statements.

As to the first part of your statement I've already shown, again using your information source and my sort examples, that it is not the "USA alone" that uses a format 'which can't easily be sorted'. The fact is the UK falls into that category as well if you're referring solely to the primary date format in use. If you insist on using optional formats there is still no difference between the UK and USA as they both utilize YY/MM/DD as a secondary option.

.... but they have a similar situation with measurement units!
There you go yet again, trying to divert attention from the fact that you're wrong - and to denigrate the USA in the process - 'congratulations' on your consistency. :rolleyes:

But since you have brought up the subject of measurement units I guess it's appropriate to point out the following:

The UK is now metric - or is it?
- Petrol is sold by the liter but milk by the quart - although "Cow's milk is available in both litre- and pint-based containers in supermarkets and shops"
- All UK roads use the imperial system except for weight limits,
- Speedometers on vehicles sold in the UK must be capable of displaying miles per hour (I didn't realize that miles were a unit of measurement in the metric system)
- The United Kingdom completed its official partial transition to the metric system in 1995, with imperial units still legally mandated for certain applications
- Steel pipe sizes are sold in increments of inches, while copper pipe is sold in increments of millimetres.
- Road bicycles have their frames measured in centimetres, while off-road bicycles have their frames measured in inches.
- Original railways....distances officially measured in miles and yards or miles and chains, and also feet and inches, and speeds are in miles per hour.
- Fuel consumption for vehicles is commonly stated in miles per gallon - (even though fuel is sold by the liter o_O).
- Land associated with farming, forestry and real estate are commonly advertised in acres and square feet but, for contracts and land registration purposes, the units are always hectares and square metres.

The above information from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_units#United_Kingdom

It would appear the British are not yet committed, either legally or culturally, to the 'superior' metric system.

Ref: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/lifestyle/articles-reports/2015/06/20/britains-metric-muddle

It's UK tradition to voice their jealousy of the US through things like 'last place to not use metric' or 'expensive healthcare' while being absolute garbage themselves.
See the last part of the previous post - seems the UK itself is one of the 'last places to not use metric', at least on a consistent cultural and legal basis. ;)

The UK is now metric - or is it?
- Petrol is sold by the liter but milk by the quart
What is a quart :unsure:

Looks it up:
a unit of liquid capacity equal to a quarter of a gallon or two pints, equivalent in Britain to approximately 1.13 litres and in the US to approximately 0.94 litre.

I've never seen anything measured or sold in the UK in quarts, and didn't know that in UK it is bigger than a litre but in the USA smaller than a liter, is that why USA spells litre wrongly? :oops:

Speedometers on vehicles sold in the UK must be capable of displaying miles per hour
Speedometers on vehicles sold in the UK must be capable of displaying Km/h!

Looks it up:

I've never seen anything measured or sold in the UK in quarts, and didn't know that in UK it is bigger than a litre but in the USA smaller than a liter, is that why USA spells litre wrongly? :oops:

"The quart (symbol: qt) is an English unit of volume equal to a quarter gallon. Three kinds of quarts are currently used: the liquid quart and dry quart of the US customary system and the imperial quart of the British imperial system. All are roughly equal to one liter. It is divided into two pints or (in the US) four cups. Historically, the exact size of the quart has varied with the different values of gallons over time and in reference to different commodities."

Apparently, if it is outside your personal frame of reference, therefore it must not exist.

And FYI, cars sold in the US display both mph and Km/h on the speedometer.

Finally, we spell liter here that way because that is simply how that word is spelled in American English. Once again, we have an example of you attacking and vilify anything outside your provincial frame of reference as "wrong". There is a big, diverse world out here Nigel, and 333,463,677 people in the United States spell the word liter that way compared to the mere 68,338,194 people in the UK who may use your archaic spelling.

Indeed, we Americans have Noah Webster to thank for his landmark contributions to American English with his original 19th century Webster's Dictionary that brought modernity and clarity to many of the outmoded, archaic and rigid words left over from British rule that were deemed no longer of practical value or interest to our new diverse and growing nation. I know it pains you so to have to admit that the British Empire is a long gone lost relic of the past.

Last edited:

Looks it up:

I've never seen anything measured or sold in the UK in quarts, and didn't know that in UK it is bigger than a litre but in the USA smaller than a liter...

A more complete definition: https://www.britannica.com/science/quart

The fact you've never seen something is irrelevant - especially something sold in quart units which, by your own admission, you didn't even know what that was until you looked it up. (Similar to your 'instant expertise' on different subjects in other threads on Covid-19 and neutral density filters to name but two.) I'm sure there are many things you've never seen but that alone does not prove their non-existence (atoms are the first thing that comes to mind, followed closely by radio waves, and on a larger scale the Lock Ness monster 'Nessie' :) ).

... is that why USA spells litre wrongly? :oops:

No more so than the British spell 'color' and 'tire' incorrectly. Obviously, yet another feeble attempt by you to deflect attention from the subject at hand, as well as a not so veiled attempt to again disparage the USA, as your comment is totally irrelevant to the discussion and only acknowledges the differences in spelling of litre/liter depending on ones location. You really need to get a life.

From the UKMA:

"All vehicles registered in the UK since 1977 have been required to have a speedometer capable of displaying speeds in kilometres per hour (km∕h) as well as miles per hour (mph)."

https://ukma.org.uk/road-signage/speed-limits/

I assume your silence on the many other items in my post (that you've not quoted, challenged, disputed or even acknowledged) is tacit agreement with my conclusions that you were 'mistaken' in your claims and assertions.

Last edited:
I dont have much good to say about the Danish public healthcare, for one i am sure it is very expensive VS a system operating under normal conditions.
Likewise the forced upon you Danish TV station DR, like its British counterpart the BBC i am sure are also colossuses on small clay feet, which would topple the second the tabs are turned off.

There is a old Danish measure called ( translated ) a pole one of those = 1/4 pot which in turn was 0.24 Liter
We had a slew of different measurements, often for different things, and some often covering both liquids and volume, so a measure for butter was called a drittel one of those = 1/3 cask butter which in turn = 45.33 potts which again = 43.80 Liters.
There was also a Oxhead / beefhead of wine which was 6 anker ( anchor ) which again was 240 potts, which was = to 231.84 Liters.
On the other hand a Oxhead / beefhead of vinegar was 1.5 beer barrel which was 204 pots or 197.07 liters

And the list of insanity just go on and one, so i for one welcome the French putting things in order.

Have a laugh for yourself.

Last edited:
And the list of insanity just go on and one, so i for one welcome the French putting things in order.
It is actually the International Bureau of Weights and Measures that defines SI units like the litre, and since they define the litre, everyone should be using their spelling?

Although Denmark seems to be with the USA on litre and metre...

It is actually the International Bureau of Weights and Measures that defines SI units like the litre, and since they define the litre, everyone should be using their spelling?

That is utter nonsense! The spelling is merely a function of the conventions of the country you happen to live in and has nothing to do with the measurement itself. The Bureau of Weights and Measures determines weights and measures only, not the spelling or pronunciation used in any given nation or language.

"The litre (British English spelling) or liter (American English spelling) is a metric unit of volume."

It is appalling to witness you constantly engaging in this sort of inane, petty sophistry surrounding your desire to impose "British English" on the rest of the world as if it is somehow "superior" in some unexplained way. Like it or not however, American English is the dominant form of the English language used all over the planet.

"English is the most widely spoken language in the United States and in most circumstances is the de facto common language used in government, education, and commerce. Currently, American English is the most influential form of English worldwide."

Although Denmark seems to be with the USA on litre and metre...
Once again I'm close to being embarrassed for you over your abysmal history of continually speaking about things you, obviously, know nothing about.

The BIPM is an independent international organization based in Paris, FR. It's complete brochure ( https://www.bipm.org/en/publications/si-brochure ) is written in French followed by an English version. Within the English section (page 124) is an acknowledgement that various words do, in fact, have different spellings -

Small spelling variations occur in the language of the English speaking countries (for instance, "metre" and "meter", "litre" and "liter"). In this respect, the English text presented here follows the ISO/IEC 80000 series Quantities and units. However, the symbols for SI units used in this brochure are the same in all languages.

Nowhere do they specify the spelling of either liter or meter - since their only 'defining' function is the volume of the liter or the length of a meter.

No need to thank me for furthering your education. Whether you retain and use this new (for you) knowledge going forward is beyond my control.

Not sure what that means, most of the world uses British spellings or mainly British, redfish on the map, even in the Americas there are far more countries using British than USA spellings:

Most of the world? How interesting that you conveniently leave out China, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Afghanistan, Japan, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Guam and Liberia where American English spellings are used when the English language is written as it is so often in numerous media, official documents and signage despite not being the official or dominant language in those nations.

And what the heck is redfish? :smuggrin:

Most of the world? How interesting that you conveniently leave out China, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Afghanistan, Japan, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Guam and Liberia where American English spellings are used when the English language is written as it is so often in numerous media, official documents and signage despite not being the official or dominant language in those nations.

Keep in mind that in Nigel's view it's possible 'the world' only encompasses the former British Empire.

...And what the heck is redfish? ...

The British spelling of 'reddish'? ;)

I speak bastard English, actually in my 9 grade verbal English exam i was deducted as i spoke American English, and i was like wtf ????? my teacher is Muppet show Swedish cook English speaking, you people should be happy about what i bring to the table here.

Siemens Gamesa latest lightweight nacelle prototype for the SG 14-222 DD 14 MW wind turbine, only weighs "500 tons", and still fits down the roads! :

2000 tonne suction jackets heading out of port to the world's deepest fixed turbine wind farm, Scotland's 1.1 GW Seagreen:

Seagreen-Broughty-Ferry-1027x1536.jpg

Seagreen-First-Jacket-1536x864.jpg

EU solution vs UK solution vs USA:

As individual nations line up to make pledges to the COP26 summit, the EU will come to Glasgow with a unique ambition to create the first climate-neutral continent by 2050.

That will require huge amounts of offshore renewable energy, with Brussels targeting 60GW of wind in the seas off its member states by 2030.

54fb2123ac96d3220471fef55f494c72

UK Government said:
Offshore wind is the most cost effective way to achieve the UK’s net zero ambitions and delivering 40 GWof offshore wind by 2030 is an essential part of this roadmap.

Underwater-Substation-by-Aker-1536x857.png

US offshore wind capacity is expected to hit 21GW by 2030, missing the White House's target by 30%, according to a new report from IHS Markit.

...and Australia isn't even making promises!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back