2021 Climate Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are early days for EVs. Like any new technology prices will fall as it becomes more available and mainstream. The original Tesla went for substantially over $100,000. The Model 3 is now available for $43,000 and has much greater range and efficiency. Today, Tesla delivers more than 200,000 vehicles each quarter, with plans to ramp up production significantly in the future. When the original Tesla was introduced there were no public charging stations. Now there are 30,000 and counting. Long ago, Musk explained the strategy of why you first introduce expensive luxury models as a pathway to midrange, mainstream models at lower prices and that is exactly how this has been playing out. You can now buy a decent electric vehicle in the range of $30,000 such as the 2021 MINI COOPER 2 Door hardtop and this will only keep improving. New EV models in a variety of price ranges from different manufacturers will begin flooding the market over the next few years. And many people find they do not require super long range in an EV.

Indeed. The driving i do in general i do under 100 km in a day ( 2 times a week )
But i still like more range than that though, but that will probably be hard to get in the mini sized car that is all i will be able to afford

The E cooper will probably be 40.000 USD here.

YEP just checked 40.500 USD or 266.500 DKkr for the rock bottom SE version,,,,, Americans probably get the fully decked out one for the 30 K USD

These are early days for EVs. Like any new technology prices will fall as it becomes more available and mainstream. The original Tesla went for substantially over $100,000. The Model 3 is now available for $43,000 and has much greater range and efficiency. Today, Tesla delivers more than 200,000 vehicles each quarter, with plans to ramp up production significantly in the future. When the original Tesla was introduced there were no public charging stations. Now there are 30,000 and counting. Long ago, Musk explained the strategy of why you first introduce expensive luxury models as a pathway to midrange, mainstream models at lower prices and that is exactly how this has been playing out. You can now buy a decent electric vehicle in the range of $30,000 such as the 2021 MINI COOPER 2 Door hardtop and this will only keep improving. New EV models in a variety of price ranges from different manufacturers will begin flooding the market over the next few years. And many people find they do not require super long range in an EV.

1. I agree that distance wise (on average) these cars would fit most people's lifestyle.

I can't find any recent statistics. But from 2011.

The average Thanksgiving long-distance trip length is 214 miles, compared with 275 miles over the Christmas/New Year’s holiday. For the remainder of the year, average trip distance is 261 miles.

2. https://www.bts.gov/statistical-pro...sehold-travel-survey-daily-travel-quick-facts (2017)

U.S. daily travel averages 11 billion miles a day — almost 40 miles per person per day

Price:

The average price for new vehicles sold in the U.S. is currently $46,000! :eek:

I don't think the "Inflated Chip Shortage Price" is a standard benchmark that will last. But for comparison purposes:

The transaction price of the average new vehicle, a measure of how much people actually pay, has been over $40,000 all this year and reached $45,031 in September, according to data from Kelley Blue Book. That’s an increase of $4,872 or 12.1% in the past year.

The number crunchers at KBB just reported that the estimated average transaction price for a light vehicle in the United States was $40,857 in January 2021. That’s an increase of $2,110 compared to January 2020, but is actually slightly down – by $295 – from the prior month.

So in January 2020 the car price was actually $40,857 - $2110 = $38,747

Cars have increased by nearly $6300 in just 1.5 years in the USA.

Americans Driving a MiniCooper? - No Way. Bigger is Better it seems. Very few Sedans on the list. Mostly SUVS and Trucks.

#1 Selling vehicle in the USA in 2020: Ford F-Series (787,422 units sold)

I think they are trying to engage people with this new form of car racing
I'm sure that's a primary motivation - it's new and they want to draw fans to it. What better way to do that than giving them a mechanism to impact the outcome.

In recent years producers have been experimenting in participant engagement in conjunction with social media in various types of entertainment venues such as certain movies where viewers can vote on the ending for the story or where people in different locales can watch the same movie or show together and interact with one another as the action unfolds. They call it "participatory culture". Not sure I'm a fan of any of this but this is where at least some 21st century entertainment is headed.

So far, Formula E racing is the only sport where the audience is given the opportunity to influence the outcome. Your post prompted me to look into this further and I discovered that although people can and do influence the outcome of these races it is more complex, nuanced and interesting than I had previously realized.

The five drivers who receive enough votes for a FANBOOST, are awarded a burst of power, which they can deploy in a five-second window during the second half of the race. There can be a total of four minutes of attack mode available to each driver.

To fire up ATTACK MODE, drivers need to arm their car, by drivinge off the racing line, and through the Activation Zone. It’s here that they are be able to collect an extra 35 kW of power - raising their total to 250kW. Drivers that secure the extra speed, can use it for a few laps when they want to race harder, giving them the edge to keep ahead of the competition.

The details of ATTACK MODE (the number, duration and the minimum amount of times drivers can arm it) are decided by the FIA one hour before the race, meaning the teams and drivers only have 60 minutes to decide the race strategy, ushering in more uncertainty and unexpected action.

On the other hand, the total time of each full course yellow and safety car period will be counted, and 1kWh of energy per minute will be deducted from the total energy available at the start of that period. If the safety car is out for five minutes, every driver will have 5 kWh of energy deducted from their batteries, preventing them from energy saving during these periods and then running flat out for the remainder of the race.

So, this is where it gets interesting. It is not as simple as a popular driver having more power than the other drivers and thus the ability to win the race. A driver "may' have additional power but the outcome of the race is a function of the drivers ability to strategize how and when he chooses to deploy it. So the race is a matter of driving skills and driver power management strategies.

So, the more I've explored this the more I can see where ATTACK MODE adds a lot of excitement and an element of uncertainty to these races and allowing the audience to be engaged in metering out small amounts of extra power now makes more sense to me. Another factor is that when a driver engages ATTACK MODE the halo roll bar over his head glows magenta to indicate that it is in use and blue when the car is in Race Mode and this allows to crowd to witness the strategy each driver is using. If he mismanages or mistimes how he uses his maximum extra power he can just as well lose the race as win it.

Last edited:
Is it open wheel racing ?
Those fairings over the wells cant take much of a hit i recon, but then again get catapulted off a open wheel, thats no fun either.

I think it would take some getting used to for a old guy like me, not only have to watch race positions but also who have / who use, and how many left boosts, i think it would be too much for me, but kids of today would probably love it.
I am not a fan of DRS in F1, it have always come off as some kind of patch to me.
It would not take much asking to get me to try out one of those electric suckers. :cool:

I would prefer the same chassis and motor in all F1 cars, then on Friday you pick a car ( lottery ) and then Saturday you do qualifying / setup and wrap it in your team sponsors wrap, and then Sunday you race, and may the best man win.

I think it would take some getting used to for a old guy like me, not only have to watch race positions but also who have / who use, and how many left boosts, i think it would be too much for me, but kids of today would probably love it.

maxresdefault.jpg

At least it have a button to turn on the dashcam :)

So, the more I've explored this the more I can see where ATTACK MODE adds a lot of excitement and an element of uncertainty to these races and allowing the audience to be engaged in metering out small amounts of extra power now makes more sense to me.
The attack mode was added because the racing was too boring, often just a procession with no overtakes. It hasn't helped a lot since the teams almost always do their best to avoid using it, very common for them to activate it under a safety car when it has no effect! There are several reasons for that, including the fact that the extra power empties the batteries faster, so is not actually extra power, just the ability to use it faster.

Fan boost was there from the start, included as part of the E in the name. It has always resulted in the same drivers getting the boost every week, so does not really add to the racing, plus the amount of boost is normally not enough for a single overtake!

Biggest issue is that the cars are too heavy, it is set up to mimic F1, but that format requires very lightweight cars for great racing. The Extreme-E race series has got it right, using electric cars for what Electric is good for.

The other big problem is that the race tracks are not race tracks, they are city streets or parks temporarily lined with advertising boards, which makes for very poor racing compared to F1. This was intentional to avoid the fans emitting CO2 on their journeys to the race track, better to bring the race track to the people, but it is not suited to the car design.

Is it open wheel racing ?
Those fairings over the wells cant take much of a hit i recon, but then again get catapulted off a open wheel, thats no fun either.
The fairings often come off, doesn't affect the car much, they seem to be irrelevant to the aerodynamics!

At least 2 of the Formula E races I saw they had 'pit stops' of a sort - they changed cars at about the halfway point to address that.
The pit stops were good, the drivers could drive for a few laps without worrying about damaging their car, because they were about to get a new one, but if they damaged the car of someone who had just pitted then they had a good chance of overtaking them after pitting even though they were effectively a whole pitstop behind!

When I was perusing YouTube videos of Formula E racing deciding which ones to post in this thread there was a race where most of the cars ran out of juice in the final stretch and the one that still had power won the race.
That was back in the spring this year I think. They had all planned their fuel use to cross the line having used 100.00%, and then the organisers added one more lap than expected following a safety car, but didn't announce it soon enough for a change of plan!

Formula E is a long way from F1 performance, batteries are just too heavy/KWh to be competitive with liquid fuels, not even fuel cell electric can get close at the moment, thus F1 going for synthetic fuels. It seems quite likely that F1 will achieve Net Zero first though!

The attack mode was added because the racing was too boring, often just a procession with no overtakes.

I basically already said that when I mentioned that it adds excitement and uncertainty.

Formula E is a long way from F1 performance, batteries are just too heavy/KWh to be competitive with liquid fuels, not even fuel cell electric can get close at the moment, thus F1 going for synthetic fuels. It seems quite likely that F1 will achieve Net Zero first though!

Formula E is an entirely different animal than Formula 1. The problem with Formula 1 has been that crowd attendance has been dropping for years wordwide while Formula E has been gaining popularity. I disagree about how dismissive you are about the racing class. It is relatively new and the potential for enhancing and improving the technology is wide open and this factor brings a lot of interest and excitement to the class aside from the racing itself.

I do think E cars have other racing potentials, considering the torque and amazing zero to 60 speeds already achievable. (2.8 seconds!)

Last edited:
I do think E cars have other racing potentials, considering the torque and amazing zero to 60 speeds already achievable. (2.8 seconds!)
Don't forget the bikes, the IOM TT Zero got electric right from the start, never attempted to replicate the liquid fuel formulas but like Formula 1 made it partly a development race so introducing variety between teams and a lot of interest, the team that wins needs the best bike and a very good rider. Formula E made all the cars identical from the start, they have allowed some variation since but very restricted, currently it is really a driver's race and the electric technology plays no real part in the racing, teams win because they hire the best drivers. With the TT the best riders choose the best bike.

We Danes just survived another run away wind turbine, though this time it did not end in destruction, the thing just spun at high RPM for a few days, but now winds have calmed and it was possible to send people into it to manual brake it.
I think this is the #3 time in modern wind turbine history here, and factoring in for how long we done this and how many we have, not bad i would say.

It is a type V39 Vestas turbine that is 27 years old.

As it is a 500 KW model, there is a small chance i might have worked on the main axle on it ( surface treatment )

Rolls-Royce doing 623 km/h on electric power:

_121737694_spiritofinnovation1.jpg

Formula E made all the cars identical from the start, they have allowed some variation since but very restricted, currently it is really a driver's race and the electric technology plays no real part in the racing, teams win because they hire the best drivers. With the TT the best riders choose the best bike.

What you are saying is simply not true!

The whole point of Formula E is to use the same aerodynamics in the cars so that the teams manufacturing sponsors can focus on the other aspects of the vehicles. Teams are responsible for their own powertrain components. So, an important aspect of E class is that refinements achieved in the drivetrains in Formula E will be eventually be applied to electric passenger vehicles.

Each manufacturer has been focusing on refinements and innovations to different aspects of their cars. The designs of the motors each car uses has been a big factor. Audi has put a lot of effort into weight reduction in their chassis designs using carbon fiber and specialized 3D printing. BWM has put focus on their electronic braking systems and regenerative braking techniques and weight reduction of their motors. There are different approaches to the suspension designs and materials.

Power management is an important aspect of Formula E and this is no accident. Techniques from E racing will also find their way into commercial electric vehicles. The Mercedes team has apparently put much research and effort into power management in Formula E.

"Formula E’s rules are purposefully designed to ensure teams focus on pushing electric vehicle technology forward, rather than mucking about with cars’ aerodynamics. Every team drives the same car, using the same battery. They can, however, modify elements of the drivetrain, meaning a team’s competitive advantage comes from getting the best possible performance from an electric system."

“A common view of all of the people involved in Formula E is, we want to focus on the electric drivetrain, we don’t want to focus on whether we can get a tad more aero downforce on the car than the next team, or whether maybe we can squeeze a little more out of the battery.”

"BMW dropped the weight of its motor by supporting it with composites, utilizing highly conductive materials such as resins, titanium, and ceramics. “These materials are being tested in the electric engine during the race season to improve future road-car electric motors,” says spokesperson Oleg Satinovsky."

Why This Electric Car Racing League Matters Even If You Don't Care About Cars

How Formula E Racing Makes Electric Cars Faster, Smarter, Funner

For automakers like BMW, Audi, and Jaguar, making EVs for the track is a natural way to hone EVs for the streets.

Yesterday, I pointed out that Formula 1 and Formula E are two different animals. The same applies to E class motorcycle racing. Each is in it's own category. Motor sports includes all sorts of variations from Formula 1, Formula E, Indycar, to NASCAR, to Rallycross, to Touring car and sports car racing and many classes of motorcycling competition. We are at the cusp of huge technical changes and advances in all of these categories thanks to climate change. To dismiss one form of racing over another is just elitism and snobbishness and as we've seen when it comes to so many other subjects this seems to be familiar territory for you.

Last edited:
That plane look as it it would have a fairly poor glide ratio,,,,, but then again that is the case for all fast planes.

It might fly a bit better than the space shuttle, which i believe was said to fly like a brick. :)

Vestas are shutting down all their IT,,,,,, hackers playing around :mad:

It might fly a bit better than the space shuttle, which i believe was said to fly like a brick. :)
Or the SpaceX Starship which truly does fly like a brick!

Farms can now get their fertilizer supplied over the electricity grid, and if they have net zero electricity in the grid then they get net zero fertilizer, with net zero transport cost!

Chief operating officer Nelson Leite is already making comparisons to the disruption that Elon Musk’s Tesla has brought to the automobile sector.

Chief operating officer Nelson Leite is already making comparisons to the disruption that Elon Musk’s Tesla has brought to the automobile sector.

Self promotional hyperbole like comparing your questionable prototype invention to the success Elon Musk has finally achieved with Tesla after 18 years of hard work and near failure is simply cringe worthy.

(Speaking of which, just last night I noticed that our local Tesla supercharger facility that was recently expanded to 16 chargers from 8 was almost completely full of cars as the Thanksgiving holiday travel season here in Vermont gets under way. Never seen it that full!)

The article makes it all sound so simple, but it fails to mention the other ingredients involved in fertilizers, such as potassium chloride, phosphorus and other ancillary ingredients that all must be carefully blended together before application. This places a lot of burden and loss of productivity on farmers who may otherwise have fertilizers delivered ready to apply depending on the crop. In any case, ammonia has great potential for carbon free power to eliminate green house gases so anything that promotes it will be a good thing. I've been following developments with a young company called AMMPOWER that is engaged with interesting pioneering work with ammonia production and cracking using a catalyst technology to release hydrogen for use in marine, rail and cargo logistics.

Here in Vermont, a state with a primarily agricultural based economy has been shunning chemical fertilizers left and right in favor of organic methods, even in larger more industrial operations. It has been quite a revolution to witness over the years since it began as a counter culture phenomenon on hippy communes back in the late 1960s.

Speaking of fertilizer though, we have an interesting and unique experimental research project going on here in Vermont involving the recycling of urine, a rich source of nitrogen, potassium and phosperous. The now adult son of an old acquaintance of mine founded the Rich Earth Institute. When I first heard about this years ago I thought it was absolutely daft but as the project has developed and matured it has gained the support of The US Agency of Environmental Protection, The National Science Foundation and many other important institutions world wide.

The Rich Earth Institute

The article makes it all sound so simple, but it fails to mention the other ingredients involved in fertilizers, such as potassium chloride, phosphorus and other ancillary ingredients that all must be carefully blended together before application.
I don't know anything about Vermont, but here, for farm grassland, which is the biggest use of ammonia, and one of the biggest contributors to CO2 emissions, the Nitrogen is typically treated separately from the other nutrients rather than being blended in. Also, for farm grass crops, the Nitrogen is the main component of the fertiliser and by far the biggest contributor to CO2 emissions, partly because the other nutrients often come from organic fertilisers such as slurry.

Speaking of fertilizer though, we have an interesting and unique experimental research project going on here in Vermont involving the recycling of urine, a rich source of nitrogen, potassium and phosperous.
The slurry I mentioned above, is often farm slurry, generally from cows, but on farms that don't have cows, it typically comes from human waste treatment. Yes, it is rich in potassium and phosphorous, and many other useful plant nutrients. Has been used since last century, so not exactly a unique new idea!

According to the water industry, around 78% of the UK's treated sludge – 3.6m tonnes – is spread over agricultural land each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back