256GB SD Confirmed working in Panorama (early report, developing)

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
I recently received confirmation that a
PNY 256GB Elite Performance SDXC 90MB/s Flash Card (P-SDX256U1H-GE)
is working in a Panorama S after formatting to FAT32 via these instructions.
(256GB should work in the Panorama II & G too)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/B00FF90EZM
(amazing you can get 256GB for 100 USD!)

316J3LdHr%2BL.jpg

It's been less than 24 hours so I'll follow up if anything funny happens.

Last edited:
So only fat32?
Why not Not exFAT?

sounds like you're only reporting what someone else is trying. Is this right?

sounds like you're only reporting what someone else is trying. Is this right?

Correct, a customer in Baton Rouge Louisiana. He sent photos as we talked real time. We are ordering some of these cards and will test as well. I guess that's what I meant by : (early report, developing)

Last edited:
My problem is that FAT32 is limitation.

For starters file size.
Max File size = 4 294 967 296 bytes (4 Gigabytes)

Last edited:
Do you know size of the video file with 10 minutes segment?
As many people stated & asked on forum sometime they are not using segmented videos.

i'm a fan of continuous recording over this "looped" recording. this is interesting to know. I will be monitoring this for sure...

i'm a fan of continuous recording over this "looped" recording. this is interesting to know. I will be monitoring this for sure...

The continuous mode is an option for people like yourself. (special case / power user) Not many DashCam's even have this feature as a choice in the menu.
99% of customers use their DashCam looped. (set it and forget it worry free mode)
It only takes a few seconds to auto-join and export files via http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html

not many people want to use additional software to format and reformat sd card all the time.
Plus user losing format option of on/via dachcam unit on go if needed.

not many people want to use additional software for format and reformat sd card all the time.
Plus user losing format option of dachcam unit on go if needed.

I agree this isn't "the best" out of the box solution but it's at least an option for the available DashCam products/technology out today. I expect future products to mature and support large cards natively. (exFAT license prices to be reduced / paid by factories)

Don't the latest Panorama firmwares support exFAT anyway?

As we get to larger sizes sticking with FAT32 is going to cause problems when looping etc when the cards are fragmented with the slower cards.

As these things get more powerful and we see more Linux variants out there maybe they could just use something like the FUSE plugin for exFAT which so far is license free to use.

256GB is a lot of space though - you could drive from one end of the UK to the other on a single card :)

They do support exFAT, some cards work fine, others not so FAT32 is a preferred option for stability

Fragmentation is a Windows thing, different principles apply here

You'd still get fragmentation though mate which reduces write speed as the device is working out what clusters to drop where after a deletion? It's helped by the larger file sizes used by these things though.

When you're getting all the firmwares done do they have debug logs on? On the 3H2F I had that used to log everything into a debug log file and was great for seeing what was causing that to have a strop - I kind of miss that level of info but guess it would confuse most end users.

I just wish these things were cheaper over here - not sure about in Aus or the US but the 128GB Sandisk MicroSD cards are £70 here at the moment (actually that's come down £10 since last time I looked - tempting!)

Earlier versions of Windows get fragmented due to the way the O/S picks up and dumps files wherever it wants, DVRs are a lot simpler in the way they write data to disk and delete as needed, I used to do home DVRs and the same applied

I just wish these things were cheaper over here - not sure about in Aus or the US but the 128GB Sandisk MicroSD cards are £70 here at the moment (actually that's come down £10 since last time I looked - tempting!)

Check Amazon UK because today Amazon USA put on sale Platinum II 200x 128GB SDXC UHS-I
$49.13 + FREE Shipping

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D II / S 3
Back