256GB SD Confirmed working in Panorama (early report, developing)

sounds like you're only reporting what someone else is trying. Is this right?
Yeah, that would be me. Tried formatting it through the S itself, and had problems as the camera would freeze up and reset when I tried to record, or if I took a picture it would look like this.

xGpKC4P.jpg

If it wasn't for Jon telling me about reformatting it to FAT32, I would've ended up returning the card thinking it didn't work. After reformatting it, the card works fine now. The only difference I've noticed is that the camera takes like 6-7 seconds to start up now rather than immediately with other cards, but I would assume that it's because the card is huge compared to my 32 GB card. But since I'm not familiar with using PNY cards, I'm keeping an eye on it because the price seemed too good to be true (the only other 256 GB card I found on Amazon was $300!) and will let Jon (and you guys) know if any problems happen to pop up.

I found one concern. After a day of recording footage (in 5 minute loop recordings), I put the SD card in my computer to view the videos and when I try to view them, it views 3 seconds of it then stops entirely. But then when I drag any of the videos off the SD card and onto my desktop's hard drive, they play fine. I'm a little concerned, but they seem to play fine on my dash camera and fine on my desktop so long as I take the file off the SD card.

I found one concern. After a day of recording footage (in 5 minute loop recordings), I put the SD card in my computer to view the videos and when I try to view them, it views 3 seconds of it then stops entirely. But then when I drag any of the videos off the SD card and onto my desktop's hard drive, they play fine. I'm a little concerned, but they seem to play fine on my dash camera and fine on my desktop so long as I take the file off the SD card.

I never have good results trying to play videos directly off SD cards. Always copy the folder to your local computer before playback/editing. This is the recommended procedure. Jokiin tells people this in the forums every so often as well.
If they play fine on your computer, you're good to go. I've experienced the same thing, very slow jumpy playback via SD card direct.

That's another thing to try, VLC handles the reading/buffering better than trying to use RegistratorViewer when accessing files directly off the card.
For best results, I still recommend copying files to your local computer first, then any playback software should be fine.

Alright thanks guys, glad to know this isn't an uncommon thing. Disregard that concern then, SD card is still working fine!

Last edited:
It's also can be just card reader problem.
Some internal card readers are not that fast as external ones.
I use Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Model: LRW300U for mast two years with 0 problems.
http://www.lexar.com/products/lexar-professional-usb-30-dual-slot-reader?category=203

That's another good point, I just tried this new USB 3.0 SDXC reader and it works much better.
https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/memory-cards/startech-usb-3-0-multi-media-memory-card-reader.html
41cFq9Lw6AL.jpg

So the benefit over a USB SDXC reader is that it reads faster and will have less problems playing videos and other files than the built-in internal card readers?

Exactly, if you have a USB 3.0 port
So am I better off sticking to my built-in reader if my 3.0 ports are damaged ? My laptop fell a while back and the left side of the ports (where the 3.0 ports are) are unusable, whereas the 2.0 ports on the right are still fine.

That's another good point, I just tried this new USB 3.0 SDXC reader and it works much better.
https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/memory-cards/startech-usb-3-0-multi-media-memory-card-reader.html
41cFq9Lw6AL.jpg

@Pier28
Try use crystalmark with this USB card reader to test read and wright speed.
We can test it with same Lexar 32gb sd card and post results if needed. We just need to agreed on file size that will be used at crystalmark 50mb or 100mb or 500mb.

Some times on the go I use Anker USB 3.0 Card Reader 8-in-1 it's old model: 68UNMCRD-B2U
77b32fbd14589eb456dc44c8a9d60c0e.jpg

Recently Anker replaced it with newer version of the same model.
Anker[emoji768] USB 3.0 Card Reader 8-in-1 for SDXC, SDHC, SD, MMC, RS-MMC, Micro SDXC, Micro SD, Micro SDHC Card, Support UHS-I Cards
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B006T9B6R2
1cdded0b9f2aee15dcdd96907bca0a37.jpg

Last edited:
if you have a current/decent computer and keep the card reader drivers updated, you should have no issues playing video direct from an SD card. if you want to edit the footage, yes its best to offload to computer for editing, but for quick reviewing of files, you can certainly play them direct from flash.

i do this all the time. i take the cards out of the cams in the car, pop them in the reader, click on a file and drag through it with the mouse to review, all whilst on the card. of course i have all drivers up to date and i use K-lite codec pack mega which will play anything you throw at it:

http://www.codecguide.com/about_kl.htm

^^^^ this is why I use Sandisk. They have top notch customer service, and they are usually first to push the envelope with technology.

Ouch

"The SD card has been priced by the manufacturer at a price of $799"

Let's hope the low cost PNY version is on the way.

^^^^ this is why I use Sandisk. They have top notch customer service, and they are usually first to push the envelope with technology.

Well I hope they fix what ever the inconsistent compatibility issues are in conjunction with DashCam products.

You know i love you @Pier28 like a brother, however I have to stand up for Sandisk. I use Sandisk in all three of the cams I have and have not had one hiccup. from the cheap G8000L to the G90 A70 to your expensive Pano G @Pier28 , no issues at all. constant daily recording (no loop recording). 32gb and two 128 gb.

I cant speak for anyone else having issues but perhaps those folks or mishandling the cards or could be firmware issues, formatting issues, etc. :)

the price will go down as R and D is met. they have better QC over most other flash/tf card brands so the cost is reflected in that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D II / S 3
Back