3-Channel Dashcam Comparison Footage: Viofo A139 vs. Gnet GON3 vs. Blackvue DR750x 3CH

I
480p and 480i are the same resolution, only difference is that with "p" the lines of a frame are transmitted in sequence while with "i" all the odd numbered lines are transmitted before all the even numbered lines.

The result is an identical image, unless like with old TV you run your sensor at twice the sample rate and send the odd numbered lines from one sample and the even numbered lines from the next, then the result is that you sort of double the frame rate resulting in smoother motion without increasing the "bitrate", however that only really works if you have no compression, as in old TV, in fact it was a form of compression to double the "sample rate" without losing resolution or needing more bandwidth.

With dashcameras, where we are using the fastest exposure times possible, using "i" would just mess up the freeze frame/frame grabs making number plates unreadable, and also without the slow exposures of old TV/film would fail to actually smooth the motion, it would instead have some unpleasant effects. Also, modern compression algorithms like H265 are not designed to use "i", they have much more sophisticated compression which relies on not using "i".

So the answer to your question is that it should definitely be 480p 16:9, not the same as old NTSC TV. Using "i" would be a terrible mistake!

480 i = interlaced where you have the one frame show followed by other at 1/60th second
480p = progressive frames displayed at same time

Figured we were talking about "P" but you mentioned the standard having been around since 1954. As we wouldn't want a screencap with half a frame! Either way, the cloud video at 480 is pathetic by 2021 standards.

Do all cameras using cloud services (Thinkware, Blackvue, etc) upload at 480p? Is this standard?

Do all cameras using cloud services (Thinkware, Blackvue, etc) upload at 480p? Is this standard?
I haven't verified this, but a little googling suggests:

Blackvue: 480 resolution @ 0.6 Mb/s… 0.3MP
Thinkware: 360 resolution @ 0.8 Mb/s, 15fps

The Thinkware figures are based on remote live view rates given here, so may not be the numbers we really want:

I haven't verified this, but a little googling suggests:

Blackvue: 480 resolution @ 0.6 Mb/s… 0.3MP
Thinkware: 360 resolution @ 0.8 Mb/s, 15fps

The Thinkware figures are based on remote live view rates given here, so may not be the numbers we really want:

Would be nice to find out the real cloud file sizes, resolution, and bitrate.

I understand remote live view being low quality since it's streaming using a data plan. But I would seriously hope the cloud files would be of decent quality. Since you'd want events saved to be suitable as evidence. Not seeing blurry plates and pixelation.

Would be nice to find out the real cloud file sizes, resolution, and bitrate.

I understand remote live view being low quality since it's streaming using a data plan. But I would seriously hope the cloud files would be of decent quality. Since you'd want events saved to be suitable as evidence. Not seeing blurry plates and pixelation.
They both have to stream to the cloud server, so I would expect them to be the same quality, but of course it is possible that they stream the clips very slowly at much higher quality. Need someone who has one to answer the question, but I have noticed while wondering about the cloud clip quality, that nobody who has bought a U1000 ever likes to boast about the cloud video quality, or even upload a sample!

They both have to stream to the cloud server, so I would expect them to be the same quality, but of course it is possible that they stream the clips very slowly at much higher quality. Need someone who has one to answer the question, but I have noticed while wondering about the cloud clip quality, that nobody who has bought a U1000 ever likes to boast about the cloud video quality, or even upload a sample!

Well this would be useful information to know when talking about Blackvue, Thinkware, or other cloud connected cameras.

1. Is the original event file uploaded uncompressed or is it compressed?
2. Is streaming compressing the cloud file? I presume Live view is compressed because you don't really need top quality to view the car and it is data intensive.

Well this would be useful information to know when talking about Blackvue, Thinkware, or other cloud connected cameras.

1. Is the original event file uploaded uncompressed or is it compressed?
2. Is streaming compressing the cloud file? I presume Live view is compressed because you don't really need top quality to view the car and it is data intensive.
For Blackvue, not only is the event uploaded at livestream resolution, but it is also uploaded without the pre-buffer for the event!

Let’s imagine a setup with a BlackVue DR750X-2CH IR (with front and interior-facing cameras). Your car is parked, with your BlackVue hardwired and Parking Mode active.

A thief breaks into your car: vibrations from the break-in are detected by the G-sensor (accelerometer) of the BlackVue dashcam.
The dashcam creates an Event file in full resolution (Full HD or 4K UHD, depending on the model) for each camera (front / rear / interior), which includes the pre-impact footage.
Simultaneously, the BlackVue records sub-streams, or lower-resolution versions of the videos.
As the Event starts, the BlackVue starts uploading both sub-streams to the Cloud, where they are saved in real time: that’s Live Event Upload.

For Blackvue, not only is the event uploaded at livestream resolution, but it is also uploaded without the pre-buffer for the event!

Well this isn't necessarily bad I guess. From reading what you quoted, Blackvue saves the 2k or 4K stream to the MicroSD and then uploads both substreams in lower resolution to the cloud (480p?) as the event is taking place.

I guess Blackvue opted for the highly compressed file in order to get it uploaded "quickly". I.E. If the thief is breaking into your car, and the camera risks being damaged, the faster the stream makes it to the cloud the better.

So now I see their logic at least. Although, it doesn't make for great viewing, there are benefits to Blackvue's choice.

Important is nice sharp short shutter angles

Well this isn't necessarily bad I guess. From reading what you quoted, Blackvue saves the 2k or 4K stream to the MicroSD and then uploads both substreams in lower resolution to the cloud (480p?) as the event is taking place.

I guess Blackvue opted for the highly compressed file in order to get it uploaded "quickly". I.E. If the thief is breaking into your car, and the camera risks being damaged, the faster the stream makes it to the cloud the better.

So now I see their logic at least. Although, it doesn't make for great viewing, there are benefits to Blackvue's choice.
Correct, but now you also see why most people around here are not very excited about cloud functionality on dashcams. It has its uses, but
for most people it is not worth the extra cost of purchase, cloud subscriptions, always on mobile data, mobile data subscriptions, extra battery power to power the internet connection, etc. !!!

Correct, but now you also see why most people around here are not very excited about cloud functionality on dashcams. It has its uses, but
for most people it is not worth the extra cost of purchase, cloud subscriptions, always on mobile data, mobile data subscriptions, extra battery power to power the internet connection, etc. !!!

I can't say I fully agree, because there are circumstances where such technology has it's benefits.

1. You drive a very expensive vehicle and want the ability to keep tabs on it.

2. In instances where the video may face destruction. Say for instance the police stop you and you get a sense this isn't going well. You flag the video for upload, fearing arrest, and the officer might destroy the video. Say officer wrongdoing. The video is tamper proof now being in the cloud, even if the original is destroyed.

3. An accident where you are taken to the hospital and the event is triggered to be saved to the cloud. Where you may not be able to immediately get back to your car.

So yes, I see uses, even if the video is of low quality and resolution. Better to have evidence.

Now is this expense worth it for most? Probably not. But there are some who feel that spending extra for "possible" is worth it. Of course you can pick up a Viofo A139 3 Channel for 230 Euros and a Blacvue will cost you around 600. So that "protection" doesn't come cheap.

If you're saving something primarily intended as evidence, then you need the best quality evidence you can get. A blurry and darkened face showing them steal your cam could be that of dozens of people or more. Maybe the vid will be good enough, but if the cam is making and recording better video already it's silly to save a lesser copy. If the lesser vid is good enough it's silly to have the cam record something better. Dashcams are a poor choice for high-level security, and if you really want to protect something it takes hiogh-level security to do that. "Cloud" is gaining popularity but bell-bottom pants were once popular too, and IMHO equally useful :ROFLMAO:

You pays your money, you gets your choice :cool:

Phil

If you're saving something primarily intended as evidence, then you need the best quality evidence you can get. A blurry and darkened face showing them steal your cam could be that of dozens of people or more. Maybe the vid will be good enough, but if the cam is making and recording better video already it's silly to save a lesser copy. If the lesser vid is good enough it's silly to have the cam record something better. Dashcams are a poor choice for high-level security, and if you really want to protect something it takes hiogh-level security to do that. "Cloud" is gaining popularity but bell-bottom pants were once popular too, and IMHO equally useful :ROFLMAO:

You pays your money, you gets your choice :cool:

Phil

I guess what I'm saying is some evidence is better than none. 480P isn't great quality, but it's still DVD quality. Should be enough to make out what happens on a small tv or laptop. Even if not in crystal clear definition.

If the thief decides to cut your camera's power, you at least have a cloud video for insurance purposes and a police report. If a police stop goes "awry", and the cop decides to erase the evidence, you still have a 480p cloud video to prove that it happened.

Just making a case that the cloud isn't all useless. There are times when this has merit. But you're definitely paying about twice to three times as much for the luxury of low res video.

My guess on the 480p is two fold. Quick upload while the event is taking place to ensure video is saved and data limits on 4G. if the video is full sized and 600MB, it'll take time to upload. Which could negate having a video "saved" in time.

Back