4 channel cam

DonnyD

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been looking to get my first dash cam, but have been looking for quite a while. I am not a Lyft driver, but think I would like to be able to record the view from the left driver window and the right passenger window. I'm not interested in the interior view. I have seen some suggestions that make use of 2 cams, but don't think I want to go that route.
Hupejo 4 channel
Here is a link to (for me) the perfect form factor for a dash cam. However, I'm not sure I trust this brand. I would also like a cam to have Starvis 2, HDR, and have available a CPL filter.
This Hupejo has the CPL, but not the other things. They claim to have 3k, 1080, 1080, 1080 which I could live with.
Anybody have any suggestions?

This camera i would not touch, a totally unknown brand , one of the thousands that will sell a camera, and probably not support or update it.

You will be better off looking at something like the Vantrue N5, which i am currently testing since summer, it have 2 interior cameras one front and one rear, in the same housings as the front and rear camera.
This mean in my car putting the N5 in the ideal spot on top and middle of the windscreen, the interior camera would just film my roof mounted mirror, that is the down side of 2 in one housing systems, well on the windscreen, in the back it work excellent.
Downside the vantrue do not have HDR on its front facing starvis 2 sensor ( 1440p )
big + of the N5 it have active IR cut filters for Day / night operations, some others do not have that so due to no IR cut filter daytime can be a bit false colors on things,

In my video here you can see i have removed mirror in order to test N5 in the middle of my windscreen.

I personally prefer the systems where the interior camera are a remote camera, this mean in my car i can put the front facing camera in the perfect spot in front of the mirror, and then i can put the interior camera on the stalk to my mirror, giving a nice and up high view of the cabin, and not least back seat that will be a problem if the system are mounted lower on the windscreen,,,,, aside for putting something there in Denmark, that would be illegal.

Viofo make systems like that in 3 channels. A229 plus ( 1440p ) and A229 PRO ( 4 K )

I looked at the N5, but the four cameras either point straight ahead or straight back and don't really do a good job of recording the sides. If only the N5 had the interior cameras that could swivel left and right, it might be the perfect camera.

I have been looking to get my first dash cam, but have been looking for quite a while. I am not a Lyft driver, but think I would like to be able to record the view from the left driver window and the right passenger window. I'm not interested in the interior view. I have seen some suggestions that make use of 2 cams, but don't think I want to go that route.
Hupejo 4 channel
Here is a link to (for me) the perfect form factor for a dash cam. However, I'm not sure I trust this brand. I would also like a cam to have Starvis 2, HDR, and have available a CPL filter.
This Hupejo has the CPL, but not the other things. They claim to have 3k, 1080, 1080, 1080 which I could live with.
Anybody have any suggestions?

While I haven't had the pleasure of testing this brand it may be similar to what you are looking for with a brand name.
Amazon RexingUSA R4 - 4 Channel Dash Cam W/ All Around 1080p Resolution

Cheers

If only the N5 had the interior cameras that could swivel left and right, it might be the perfect camera.
What about a Viofo A229 Pro 3-CH or A229 Plus 3-CH.
But install the IR Interior camera on a swivel mount.
This will require you to swivel the camera before the officer reaches the driver, or passenger window. lol
Here’s one of my failed $20 experiments showing what it might look like;

If you have your heart set on an “unbranded all in one unit” you may have the same customer experience with a $50 unit from Ali Express as the $200 unit from Amazon.
Amazon will at least carry a no risk 30-day return policy though.

All Sales Final .png

I am surprised nobody suggested a 360 degree cam.

Not really any experience in here with 360 cameras.
The " suspicious " person showing up at your door not really a problem in Denmark, if you think the police, then the second i am pulled over i get out of my car to face them,,,,,, you can do that here just fine.
I dont like people " hovering " over me and especially not authorities.

I have run side cameras in the form of a dual channel system where i mounted the 2 cameras on the fixed glass on my rear doors, the cameras can also be seen in the vantrue N5 video above.
That give a okay 360 video bubble, but not really a coverage of a person right up against your front door.
I find this fine if anything i have the person identified approaching my car, and the microphone will hear what else go on.

BUT ! there are not really any true / dedicated side cameras, i used the mini K2S system like that CUZ it had 2 remote cameras on wire and its cameras was unusual small versus other remote ( rear ) cameras of the time.

So you have to improvise.
Some also get 2 similar conventional front / rear systems, and then mount the main camera of those on the front & rear windows, and then out the remote "rear " cameras on the side glass instead.
I just dont like that as i prefer a small stealthy little rear camera, but that way the one system cover Front and R side and the other system record the Rear and L side.

There are very few dual remote systems on the market, but some motorcycle cameras i assume could be used in this way too, but true car dashcams,,,, very few, i have tested 2 of them the aforementioned mini K2s and then the Stree tGuardian SG9663DR

Rexing have a few systems that have 3 cameras in the front unit, like the R4, but they are not starvis 2 cameras and just 1080p https://www.rexingusa.com/product/rexing-r4/
Anyway still with this, depending on where you install it, your mirror might be in the way.

I suggest getting two VIOFOs

Not really any experience in here with 360 cameras.
The " suspicious " person showing up at your door not really a problem in Denmark, if you think the police, then the second i am pulled over i get out of my car to face them,,,,,, you can do that here just fine.
Wow. In North America, especially in the USA you'll be tastered or shot if you try this.

Hehe yeah i got to put a note on the dash if i ever get to do my dream US tour, CUZ i know it will be unpopular over there.
But as cops here dont really risk getting shot CUZ we subjects do not have guns, well we can do that, and at least now they have a weapon they can shoot back with VS the POS sidearm they had when i was a kid / teen.

A few years ago a cop did get shot here, can not recall if he died, but it was some punk that apparently " liberated " a .22 pistol from a club, and used that on the cop in the police stations parking lot.
But like gunfights with criminals, that happen very rare here, last examples i think are decades back with a ring of bank robbers with dubious connections, they did shoot a cop and did use SMG and had hand grenades too.

Sweden these days see almost weekly bombings, where immigrant gangsters try to settle the lukrative drug market, a guy was also gunned down on the streets there just yesterday
Denmark in not yet that bad, but it could very very soon be, CUZ it is also immigrants that largely control the drug market here now, the old rulers the motorcycle gangs are only partly involved it would seem.

Last edited:
I am still thinking about this. First off, let me say I am not interested in running two each 2 channel cams. I would prefer to have a dash cam that is from a mainstream company like Viofo, etc, but none of them make one with a similar form factor like the link in my original post (I hope Viofo is listening). I saw one recommendation for a Rexing cam, but it is only 4*1080. I would like to at least get 2k for the front and 4k would be even better. The Hupejos does have 4k+2*1080 or 3k+3*1080, but it is not Starvis 2.
I sent an email to Hupejos' tech support and they responded in less than 24 hours.
I may order the Hupejos from Amazon and if it does not work as expected, it comes with free return. I will then order the A229 Pro 3 Channel, even though it is not exactly what I want. Am I crazy?

I am still thinking about this. First off, let me say I am not interested in running two each 2 channel cams. I would prefer to have a dash cam that is from a mainstream company like Viofo, etc, but none of them make one with a similar form factor like the link in my original post (I hope Viofo is listening). I saw one recommendation for a Rexing cam, but it is only 4*1080. I would like to at least get 2k for the front and 4k would be even better. The Hupejos does have 4k+2*1080 or 3k+3*1080, but it is not Starvis 2.
I sent an email to Hupejos' tech support and they responded in less than 24 hours.
I may order the Hupejos from Amazon and if it does not work as expected, it comes with free return. I will then order the A229 Pro 3 Channel, even though it is not exactly what I want. Am I crazy?
Yep you're crazy haha. Look, you're trying to get something for your specific needs and that's to be admired. However it doesn't appear to be any off the shelf solution that's going to suit, so you'll have to Frankenstein it yourself or just work around it

Dashcams is like politics, always a compromise to be made.
Which is kinda funny CUZ i hate established politicians and i am about the same with compromise.

But i think i am saved in what i expect my dashcams to be able to do is quite down to earth.

Back