4 Channel Cloud Capable?

Elbeau

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there such a thing as a high-quality 4 channel, cloud capable dash cam? Seems like I have to settle for one or the other.

Welcome to the forum Elbeau.

No there are no such thing, at least not in regular consumer dashcams, there might well be something in professional systems for Bus and other heavy vehicles, but then are are also talking a whole other price range.

Actually just 4 channel cameras are rare these days, Vantrue are just now launching a model called N5, but it is front & rear + front and rear interior cameras, so a system very suited for the ride share drivers out there, but there are no smart in that system.

You are right there is / always have been compromises of some sort to be made in Dashcams.

If you are thinking front & rear + side cameras, that is even more rare, now some of us have something like that, but then the setup are made up of 2 or more systems, and again compromise CUZ if you want to mount cameras filming out the side of your car, well it get hard to find suited systems even if you are ready to whip something up.
Things like curtain airbags are a issue here, also mounting, CUZ you cant very well mount on a window that can roll up and down, but some cars might have some fixed glass, my back doors have that so that is where i mounted my side cameras.
If side cameras you think down the side like on tesla cars, well you are almost out of luck, CUZ systems like that we have almost never seen here on this forum, at least not the 10 years i have been here.

Yeah, no true 4-channel setup with those types of features. Your best bet for the cloud is 2 separate 2-channel BlackVue cameras, check out Vortex's great video on more context for that:

Yeah, I did see that. Oh, well. Maybe there will be something down the road. And maybe BlackVue will realize it needs to use Sony Starvis 2s.

The trend i think are turning towards smart cameras, so no doubt in the years to come we will see even more of those from other brands, and also with more cameras ASO

A single front camera, it will log everything you do while driving, and if you are cool, then what happen elsewhere can not be your fault.
In the past 10 + years, over 95% of the footage i have pulled have been from the front camera, and after all i have had a rear camera for 8 years and side cameras for 3 years or so, but rear and side cameras is pretty much just B roll footage.

now i have been rear ended 2 times andf not getting that on camera, first time due to a bad power source ( too long cheap USB cable ) but no need for footage culprit took blame just fine, and last time while parked but timer ran out after 1 hour and i was hot 2 hours after i parked, thankfully little old lady took plate of offender.

A single front camera, it will log everything you do while driving, and if you are cool, then what happen elsewhere can not be your fault.
In the past 10 + years, over 95% of the footage i have pulled have been from the front camera, and after all i have had a rear camera for 8 years and side cameras for 3 years or so, but rear and side cameras is pretty much just B roll footage.
Not everyone has the same needs or usages. If the only use was to show I wasn't at fault in an accident, I wouldn't need cloud connectivity, either.

Indeed, i want to quote Forrest Gump here on chocolates as a analogy for the randomness of things, but i cant remember it correctly.
Most it seem to me want to have cloud for storage security, and from regular folks thats also fine.
There are options though, the remote systems where the main box with the electronics and memory card are remote from the camera units, that main box could be hidden deep in a car, and will at least discourage a quick grab of the memory card.
But these systems are also rare and it would seem hard to sell in most markets, why i dont really know in my mind they are perfect in so many ways.

Now of course if your car are stolen, then they might have the time to trace wires and so get to the main box and the memory card in it.

I am a virgin on the smart cameras, but should get one to test soon ( from kickstarter ) but otherwise all i have to go by is what i have seen in here over the years, and i must admit i feel aa bit like the smarts are just another layer of things that can go wrong.
For instance right now i think it is Blackvue that get a lot of flack for the latest update of their APP for their systems
It also seem that at least for the fruit phone owners, a new IOS update and all hell are loose.

Currently, only the 4-channel Dashcam Vantrue N5 does not support cloud services, and a cloud product is expected to be launched by the end of this year
We often receive questions about what’s the best dash cam set-up to cover all sides.

So, we designed the Rexing R4.

One unit, four channels, and all-around 1080p resolution. With this setup, you get a combined 330-degree view range - nothing’s going to be missed for sure!

Our goal with the R4 is to provide the easiest way to achieve front, rear, cabin, left and right coverage.

And, you can even customize your view with the 360° adjustable left and right side cameras to completely eliminate blind spots.

• 4-Channel Dash Cam – Cover front + left + right + rear side views as you drive.
  • Customizable View - Both the left and right side cameras are adjustable 330°, complete with 4 IR lights each, and can be turned in to face the vehicle’s cabin.
  • 1080p Resolution – All-around (four channels) 1080p resolution
  • Built-in GPS – Easily track your vehicle’s speed and location along your recorded route.
  • Wi-Fi - Transfer, playback, manage, and share your dash cam footage right from your smartphone.
  • 24/7 Parking Mode - With parking mode, the dash cam is on alert for a collision even when your vehicle is turned off.(Parking mode requires Rexing type-C smart hardwire kit.)
  • Collision Detection – Important files will be saved to a separate folder safe from overwriting when a collision is detected.
  • CPL Filter Included – CPL filter designed specifically for the R4 to reduce camera glare
Type-C Charging Port – Includes Type-C port charging cable that plugs into your vehicle's cigarette lighter socket to power the dash cam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good. Except no cloud capability.
What main features are you looking for in cloud capability? I will pass along this information to our design and manufacturing team. The R4 has built-in Wi-Fi that is used for connecting to our compatible mobile app "Rexing Connect" I can explain in more detail what you can do this with features if you'd like!

I think the people ( more and more ) that are looking for cloud features are mostly looking for the ability to offload events to a cloud service, and get notifications on their phone if something happen with their parked car.
Here i would personally prefer if the system was able to offload to my home NAS server than some cloud service, even if the cloud in general are probably a more safe place than a little private cloud in the form of a NAS that is online.

But the presence of a 4G modem also let people log in remotely to a system and view what its cameras see, though personally i feel this is a bit silly CUZ most times, well nothing happen and people just walk / drive past your parked car.
I can see notifications being a ok thing to have, CUZ you can instantly react, by doing something yourself, or if you are lucky call someone ( police ) and have them do something. sadly in Denmark calling the police about someone just hit your car and drive off, or breaking into it to do whatever will not result in anything as police here are ruined and they dont have time for such minor things.
But it is also OK, i can be judge / jury, i am just afraid people will not like the swift and harsh rulings and punishments i would execute, so this is probably a bigger danger to myself, also i am old so i might also end up getting my own ass kicked instead.
Well unless i react very swift and very harsh forceful, CUZ as they say the bigger they are the harder they fall.

I am still not sure if smart / cloud are a thing i would want CUZ i have not yet tried it, but at least having to pay for a #2 SIM card, that is a additional and monthly cost, which is a big thing when you are on a pension that have its limits.
Also a cloud service, well most that offer this have a free low tier service, but anything else and you also get a additional monthly cost for that.

What main features are you looking for in cloud capability? I will pass along this information to our design and manufacturing team. The R4 has built-in Wi-Fi that is used for connecting to our compatible mobile app "Rexing Connect" I can explain in more detail what you can do this with features if you'd like!
Ability to view live while away from car, automatic uploads to the cloud of events, ability to store and access recordings to the cloud. Receive real time alerts of events. GPS location and tracking. In other words, all the features the BlackVue Cloud has.
Camera wifi is essentially another form of Bluetooth from a practical point.

Ability to view live while away from car, automatic uploads to the cloud of events, ability to store and access recordings to the cloud. Receive real time alerts of events. GPS location and tracking. In other words, all the features the BlackVue Cloud has.
Camera wifi is essentially another form of Bluetooth from a practical point.
Thank you for your feedback! I will relate this message :)

Back