40 hour Parking mode Coverage, Help Needed

SYALRIZ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,

I never thought i will be joining this forum but getting a car security camera for my needs has been most challenging and frustrating endeavor so far.

Some background, My car was broken into a few months ago which woke me up to need of car surveillance. After some research I chose the latest Blackvue DR 770 x BOX.. I also Paid for CMT 1000 LTE plus T mobile sim Plus Blackvue Power Magic Ultra B130 battery. I paid good money for installation because I got stuck with cables in the middle of my failed installation attempt. After going through all the hoops, I have this Dashcam that is good for nothing. Right now, cloud mode is not working. B130 which is hardwired to my Toyota Camry charges quickly to show 100% on the app but cannot capture for more than 6 to 10 hours before shutting down. Even removing the rear camera did not help with extending parking mode coverage . At times, parking mode does not work at all. The Blackvue app is a disaster. I am still trying to work with their support but I think I may need to say goodbye to this failed venture and try to find simpler alternative.

I guess I did not choose well enough. On reflection, All I am looking for is a camera that can look inside the vehicle for 36 to 40 hours to when I am away 2 to 4 times per month. I am not interested in coverage for at fault proof for accidents and any other non security related uses of dashcam. I guess Ring car cam would have been closest to what I am looking for but its out of stock for next 6 months and reviews were pretty bad in terms of video quality. Even if i get it off eBay for $600 now, I want to run the camera off a Battery pack like B130 if possible rather than hardwiring but it seems you can not do that with Ring cam or 70mai Dash Cam Omni.

As you can guess, I am not an expert in cars or dashcams and level of complexity in this field along with lack of a good easy solution despite spending more than $1000 already is astonishing to me.

I was wondering if somebody has a suggestion about how to get 40 hour coverage for parking mode. I have given up on live view or cloud features etc. I am now ready to get out the SD card from camera every week and check the footage manually if I have to but I need to make sure that camera is recording inside the vehicle for 40 hours non stop when i am away.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

"I have given up on live view or cloud features etc. I am now ready to get out the SD card from camera every week..."

In your case, seems to me your are going to need cloud storage. What good is an SD card is the dashcam is stolen with the SD card in it containing the incriminating evidence?

Welcome to the forum syalriz.

Well not all thieves are that smart.
Someone broke into my car a year or two ago, and did see cameras just fine ripped off mirror as interior camera on that was right in his face. ( not recording as i did not have parking guard on the system with the cabin camera, and it would also have times out as back then i just used 1 hour on the timer ( i now use 3 after my car was rear ended while parked 2 hours after i parked so also no recording of that )
But none of the 3-4 dashcams was missing, nor the memory cards in them, or the 2 spare memory cards ( 256 GB ) in the center console, actually nothing was stolen just the vandalized mirror.
I assume thief was looking for gasoline card which some idiot Danes leave in the car, but i do not have a card for gasoline either, this old boy are all cash baby.

This is one more reason why i think remote systems with the main unit well hidden, maybe secured in place somewhere make insane good sense.
CUZ i would not bet money on thief not stealing dashcams or at least take memory card

Cloud also dont matter very much if the first thing a thief do is to pull the plugs on the camera

Sadly when my car was broken into, well i dident have a CCTV camera on my car as for a while my PTZ camera had died and i had been too cheap to get a new one, i would rather put money on that but of course that only work at home.

I am glad i do not have the use for long time parking guard.

I am testing the 70mai omni and its motion detect are smart in that it dont just trigger on any movement, but that i feel are both a + and a - of that system. also it only have build in memory and the biggest model are just 128 GB.
Though as it dont record a lot due to its motion detect setup.
I do think the omni as most all dashcams can be hard wires to a dedicated dashcam power pack, but it must of course have 12 V outputs so you can wire the Omnis hard wire kit to that

I am about a month into testning the omni and it is not like it choke itself with parking guard files, and its G-sensor are also sensitive so you dont have to "kick " your card very hard before it wake up and start to look for trouble.

A downside of the omni, is it move, and you can also easy hear the motor / gearing that handle the panning of the camera, so for sure you will have to be a hiiiiigh crackhead to not see that.

so for sure you will have to be a hiiiiigh crackhead to not see that.
:D, but what happens when they hear it, do they run, leaving the camera behind, or pull faces at the camera and leave you with the video, or steal the camera? It's sure not to be the sensible option!

I was wondering if somebody has a suggestion about how to get 40 hour coverage for parking mode.
I can't think of a good current camera for this, so I suggest a simple, low powered single channel camera like the Viofo A119. Anything bigger, with 4K or multi-channels or LTE, and you need a large battery to last 40 hours. You do want a good Starvis sensor for night time, which it has, and you might want some IR lamps which you don't tend to get with single channel cameras but which could be added separately, not too powerful though since they drain the battery.

Although A119 isn't designed for inside viewing, the mount isn't ideal, so consider how you will mount it before choosing.

Thanks a lot to everyone for your responses.

"I have given up on live view or cloud features etc. I am now ready to get out the SD card from camera every week..."

In your case, seems to me your are going to need cloud storage. What good is an SD card is the dashcam is stolen with the SD card in it containing the incriminating evidence?
I think you have a point there. I guess what I meant to say was that i have stopped looking for perfect options after wasting so much money on Blacvue 770 x box and I am ready to compromise if right conditions are met.

:D, but what happens when they hear it, do they run, leaving the camera behind, or pull faces at the camera and leave you with the video, or steal the camera? It's sure not to be the sensible option!

I can't think of a good current camera for this, so I suggest a simple, low powered single channel camera like the Viofo A119. Anything bigger, with 4K or multi-channels or LTE, and you need a large battery to last 40 hours. You do want a good Starvis sensor for night time, which it has, and you might want some IR lamps which you don't tend to get with single channel cameras but which could be added separately, not too powerful though since they drain the battery.

Although A119 isn't designed for inside viewing, the mount isn't ideal, so consider how you will mount it before choosing.
It is disappointing to see that there are not many dual cameras with interior IR. I am always surprised about how one channel camera can be good for car security since it cannot even look inside the vehicle to see thief's face. I think all these cameras are designed for evidence for accidents and impacts etc. The more I think about it, Ring car cam seems to be the only option for me. Its made with security in mind, its easy to install, it has cloud back up as well. But even if I decide to pay the exorbitant price of 600 on eBay, I am concerned that it wont last me that long with being plugged into OBD port. Does any one know how long of parking mode coverage I can expect with ring car cam in the real world ? I am frustrated that they don't allow any other way to power the camera.

Does any one know how long of parking mode coverage I can expect with ring car cam in the real world ?
An hour?

It is disappointing to see that there are not many dual cameras with interior IR.

There is also a Viofo A129 PLUS IR which may have longer battery life.

Is this when your car is parked at home? If it is, what about a camera on your home pointing at the car?

Back