512GW audio recording quality

Simcor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently upgraded to the 512GW, had the 302G first and took it back after 6-8 months as the battery had swelled distorting the casing.

So I ended up swapping it for the better 512G at the time

Fitted a new 412GW for my friend and was impressed with a number of things on it.

So I bought a new 512GW for myself and put my old 512G into my parents car for them.

I normally leave audio recording off but sometimes I wish to use it.

Audio on the 302 was very poor with lots of noise and clicking sounds etc. The 512 was perfect audio and was really impressed with it.

The Audi in my friends 412GW is also perfectly good.

However using mine to record audio is it so dull and muted it's awful.

Now the casing of the 412 and 512 is the same so I assume the audio should be the same on both cameras?

Do I just have a faulty one not got round to taking it back to halfrauds yet to try a replacement unit.

I’ve noticed the audio quality has improved on mine after the firmware update to latest version. Might be worth giving that a go if it’s not already up to date.

Welcome @Simcor

The audio shouldn't be muted, can you send a test file to support@nextbase.co.uk via www.wetransfer.com ?

They allow you to send up to 2Gb free of charge.

I want to make sure you don't have a fault unit there!

In the mean time, what version are you on? You can check this in the system info page on the second menu.

I’ve noticed the audio quality has improved on mine after the firmware update to latest version. Might be worth giving that a go if it’s not already up to date.
I've done both firmware updates since I got it. Problem is I never tried it when I first got it so no idea if it is a firmware issue.

Audio sounds very dull and muffled would be a better description.

Welcome @Simcor

The audio shouldn't be muted, can you send a test file to support@nextbase.co.uk via www.wetransfer.com ?

They allow you to send up to 2Gb free of charge.

I want to make sure you don't have a fault unit there!

In the mean time, what version are you on? You can check this in the system info page on the second menu.
I think it's R14. 06 from memory only updated it to the latest firmware a couple of days ago to see if that might cure it.

I will send a test file over when I can, I work nights and drive for a living so time is very short usually. But will get it sent by the weekend at the latest as soon as I get chance.

Oh and thanks for the welcome and assistance.

In fact I'd go as far to say it's like the mic is blocked by something causing the issue as it does record just muffled and not clear voices can barely be heard. Although the voice announcements come through clear enough unless they are recorded internally rather than the mic picking up the speaker output.

Announcements you hear whilst driving come from the speaker where as the audio recorded comes from the mic, please do send a file when you can. I'm eager to identify if there is a fault and where this may be.

Whenever you've got 5 minutes we will be able to answer. If you want to send a PM here I can get back usually straight away otherwise use the support@nextbase.co.uk email.

Hi Tiffany,

What I meant was the announcements are clearer than normal voices, i.e are they recorded by the mic from the sound that comes from the internal speaker, or are they recorded internally rather than externally.

I am preparing a file to send over to you so will be on it's way soon.

Thanks

Last edited:
I sent the file this morning. Let me know if they didn't arrive please Tiffany.

Hi @Simcor

Please accept my apologies for the delay, I have been out of the office and my colleagues set it aside for me upon my return.

I have downloaded the files and recorded one here in the office, your audio does sound extremely muffled in comparison. The mic on the units is extremely small and not the main function of the camera however; you can still make out some sound but not to the clarity we would expect.

Where was the unit purchased?

Last edited:
Halfords possibly Sutton in Ashfield from memory. That's the usual one I go to otherwise it's the Chesterfield branch I use.

OK - great to hear.

I'm so sorry this is happening. I recommend returning to Halfords for an exchange, if this is inconvenient we can arrange for the unit to be sent to our Technical Support Centre in Caerphilly.

Last edited:
OK - great to hear.

I recommend returning to Halfords for an exchange, if this is inconvenient we can arrange for the unit to be sent to our Technical Support Centre in Caerphilly.
No worries I'll pop in at some point to get it exchanged. Thanks for your help.

Hi Tiffany, went to Halfords to exchange the camera today, I believe they spoke to you on the phone for an RMA number?

Swapped it out and tested the replacement and the sound was much clearer on my phone. got home and tested it with the old firmware and also updated it to the new firmware and the sound is still fine, so it seems it must have been an issue with the original camera, not the firmware update.

It does still struggle a little as it can't compensate as well as my old 512G did when listening to music but at least it is a lot more audible.

Will see how I get on with the replacement unit from now on, although I was sorely tempted to pay the extra and upgrade to the 612GW I am still waiting on news of the rear cam add-on though.

Hi @Simcor you're right yes it was me - I'm glad it has been swapped it definitely wasn't right.

Of course I think production has finished now so it's really not going to be much longer. You can see both in store and decide which you prefer then.

Thank you Tiffany, I like the idea of the higher resolution camera being 4k although I think the majority of the time now a decent 1080p camera is great in most situations.

My biggest gripe with most cameras I have is the lack of clarity at night time, add in motion blur and extreme light sensitivity from headlights and reading number plates at night is almost impossible unless stationary/slow speeds and or close behind a vehicle. Day time footage is generally pretty good these days, so rather than even higher resolutions I would prefer to see more development on night time image quality, and after all higher resolutions just means higher capacity for string them.

Are there any plans to start trying to improve the night footage more to compensate for these issues?

In fact with my 302 I had a car pull out in front of me and I stopped and he still clipped the front corner of my car and drove away, because of the angle of his car, motion blur and sub glare coming over the building the number plate was practically unreadable and that was in daylight. We guessed what the number plate was and it turns out we were correct as a check on the reg number came back to the right car, with the footage and a screenshot of the driver although blurry and dark the company he had come from were able to recognise him. So I did manage to get in touch with his company and the claim was settled by his insurers and cost me nothing other than having a non fault claim recorded, which naturally upped my insurance premium as it always does even when it is a non fault claim.

Sorry I have taken so long @Simcor I wanted to make sure I had gathered all the facts before replying. Thank you for your patience :-D

Yes it would depend on what your needs were when purchasing a dash cam. Depending on your reason for purchase you'll either want a no frills camera to protect yourself as a 3rd party witness in the event of an accident or you'll want the additional features for sharing quickly/editing/super clarity for spotting number plates of cars committing offences (not necessarily to you but generally on the road like jumping red lights and so on). The latter is becoming more popular with local forces allowing footage to be used in prosecutions.

For the nighttime footage quality we are intensely trying to find the best solution to this. Each new model that is produced does see improvements but we still expect more. New hardware is currently being tested by the development team as we speak to try and make substantial improvements, we of course want to make sure the day time footage remains crisp. The range of hardware to choose from is far larger at the 1080p end of the scale so for the 1440p and 4K end we are repeatedly trying brand new products to make improvements where we can.

That's good news you were able to reach an amicable ending with your non fault claim.

Back