512GW - PROTECTED recordings are being over written!

TheLostWitness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello one and all on DASHCAMTALK!

I've joined mainly to get an insite as to why my Cam has decided to overwrite older 'PROTECTED' files with newer 'PROTECTED' files.

I thought that the idea was to keep saving protected files untill card is full?
(NB: Taking into account the 'normal' video files that run, save, get overwritten as normal in the other section of the SD card etc etc etc.)

Settings as follows:

Currently 32GB - (I know.. i've got a 128GB in the post as we speak)
Hardwired into car when engine start.
3 Minute Looped.
Audio recording OFF.
GPS ON.
Parking mode OFF.
Screensaver OFF.
Dimming OFF.
...and so forth.

ALSO one final note, how do i stop the "_LO" recordings please? I'm just wanting the '_HI' quality files only. Is their an option to disable the '_LO'?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Hello @TheLostWitness

What setting is g-sensor set to (first menu)?

The 512GW will only allow the SD card to become around 40% full of protected files then it will replace the oldest one if a new protected file comes in.

In the past many customers don’t format their cards frequently, many even didn’t realise their card had been displaying the card full message for quite a number of months. Having the card full message essentially negates the entire purpose of the continuous recording device if left unnoticed.

They still remain on be SD card for a significant length of time providing you with ample time to remove them, save them to your mobile or computer.

The low resolution files are to improve WiFi transfer speed and experience, were working on firmware to remove this. If you like I can email it to you when it arrives?

Hello @TheLostWitness

What setting is g-sensor set to (first menu)?

The 512GW will only allow the SD card to become around 40% full of protected files then it will replace the oldest one if a new protected file comes in.

In the past many customers don’t format their cards frequently, many even didn’t realise their card had been displaying the card full message for quite a number of months. Having the card full message essentially negates the entire purpose of the continuous recording device if left unnoticed.

They still remain on be SD card for a significant length of time providing you with ample time to remove them, save them to your mobile or computer.

The low resolution files are to improve WiFi transfer speed and experience, were working on firmware to remove this. If you like I can email it to you when it arrives?

Hello @NextBase Tiffany.
Thanks for your detailed reply!

To answer your questions:

The G-Sensor is set to Medium which will activate when i regrettably hit a pot hole (but I often protect files myself using the touch sensitive 'button')

I format my card weekly using the PC so this is not an issue for me.

I've not yet had a card full message in relation to this issue, or the device normal fuction itself.

For how long roughly? As in my case, the length of file save times in total of all files is about approx 2.5 hours (on a 32gb card) At best - bfore the 'old' protected files are then about to be overwritten. Concidering I can be driving for around 4.5 hrs at any one time - dosent give one a chance to do the said backing up etc.

For example; start of journey 3am - end of journey 7am with let's say 6 protected files (...12 including _LO flies) and that's that. I then start a journey at 8am till 11am - by now files that I protected by either automatically or myself are about to be overwritten..

Not to sound rude in anyway shape or form, but surely 'protected' should be... 'protected' regardless? Even if card is full - to force the user to backup immediately or no further recordings will be saved? Just sayin'.

Many thanks.

You're welcome, glad to help.

You shouldn't experience the card full message on this model, that is sort of the point of the limit on protected files.

I can completely understand your thoughts with protected files being protected until they are removed however the thread I responded to just before this one was the exact case I was describing above (with another model). The card has become so full of protected files so the one the customer wanted wasn't there.

We can all agree that is pretty disappointing.

For how long roughly?

I couldn't give a precise answer to this as it would just depend on how many files are protected and how many moving forward continue to get protected.

For example though: 32Gb card, roughly 2 hours worth of footage available when formatted, 48 minutes roughly allowed for protected files. That means 16 separate protected files have to happen before yours is gone. Settings of course can be adjusted to suit your individual circumstances - reducing the G-Sensor sensitivity to low would reduce the amount of auto protected files. Another possibility if you drive 8 hours per day I would recommend getting a larger card, 128Gb would reduce the amount of rewrite cycles/increase the space and allow you to store more of your journey. If there is anything vital an easy way to keep it is when your parked up, Wi-Fi it over to your phone, that is there forever.

In short: if an incident occurs that is super important save it elsewhere as soon as you possibly can.

Not to sound rude in anyway shape or form, but surely 'protected' should be... 'protected' regardless? Even if card is full - to force the user to backup immediately or no further recordings will be saved? Just sayin'

Yes this was the way on our older models, it's important for us to try look after a customers best interests, even if they don't maintain it as described in the manual. It sounds like you really love your Dash Cam and make fab use of it, which I like to hear :). We also need to ensure if someone fits it and forgets about it that the best possible chance their footage is there when they need it.

I'll get your thoughts onto the development team, good to hear everyone's thoughts.

Hello again @NextBase Tiffany!

Just to quote an earlier comment:
-Yes please, if you could message me on here, just to avoid my eMail being exposed on here for anybody to see.
You shouldn't experience the card full message on this model, that is sort of the point of the limit on protected files.
-Ah, that explains that one then, I have used a few 'cheaper' Dashcams (dare i admit - Chinese ones) and had received the said message many-a-time. Andddddd that's why one of the many reasons I chose the NextBase company!

... I would recommend getting a larger card, 128Gb would reduce the amount of rewrite cycles/increase the space and allow you to store more of your journey. If there is anything vital an easy way to keep it is when your parked up, Wi-Fi it over to your phone, that is there forever.
- Yeah, I have a 128GB on order, hopefully coming in a few days so that will improve operation hopefully.
Regarding the WiFi option, of which I'm not sure if you are aware, but the App on googleplay (for android phones) seems to be having technical difficulties and thus this currently is not a option, I've been "playing around with it" today and I have a screenshot if you'd like to pass on the information that its not connecting properly? Ill attach said screenshot below.. One of the black Parasol in a odd angel is the live view, but the 2nd 'please wait' is all I get. Left for ~20 minutes and still the same message...

.... It sounds like you really love your Dash Cam and make fab use of it, which I like to hear :).
- Yeah its some-what a weird.. fun thing to have at 27 years old. Personally never had an accident in almost 10 years of driving -touch wood- but its fun to document journeys, as I liked the 3 minute video still capture option too!
.. Ill admit - not your normal 'pimp-my-ride' stuff but, we're half-way there haha!

Finally, last comment, the 'speed' option on the 2nd menu i think it was, the one that displays while driving, not the one thats displayed embedded in the video - dosen't seem to work? Just displays 0MPH in yellow.

Have a lovely evening!

Attachments

• 31947966_10155325246032470_6602405838319517696_n.png
    31947966_10155325246032470_6602405838319517696_n.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 31954568_10155325246067470_4924215983805038592_n.png
    31954568_10155325246067470_4924215983805038592_n.png
    254.7 KB · Views: 10
Ok, will do. You'll get more 'time' stored on the card too when the option is available to switch them off - should be a win win for you.

Oh great - You should get a whole days driving on the 128Gb, still protect the important files.

That isn't good, we can get that looked into though. Please go onto the App and tap the three lines top left>tap feedback>tap email> it should populate firmware and phone information>are you able to add one of those screen shots and press send? I can forward to the App developer to find/implement a fix.

Does the GPS icon stop flashing when your in the car? Is the location recorded onto the footage?

Screenshot attached..

Does the GPS icon stop flashing when your in the car? Is the location recorded onto the footage?
When the 'speed screen' is on, all i see is 0 MPH in yellow writing, black background (no footage of live view)
When the 'speed screen' is off, all GPS works fine as normal and displays as a splash on the bottom of the video.

Attachments

• 31934789_10155325359877470_289632940671893504_n.png
    31934789_10155325359877470_289632940671893504_n.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 7
Just showing the MPH working as it should :)

Attachments

• testok.jpg
    testok.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 17
Back