512GW Ultra + RearCam Standby battery life with Ign Supply

TerryToye

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm a newbie. I've just purchased the Nextbase 512GW Ultra, RearCam & Hardwire Kit.
After reading the many 'confusing' posts I think I'll use the Cam with Parking Mode OFF.
It is apparent that in Parking Mode there are issues in filling up the card, (mine is 64GB), and/or not turning back on when continuing a journey (in traffic queues).
However, as I'm retired and the car is not used every day, I'm not sure if I should connect to a permanent live or Ignition Supply because of the time it will take to recharge the internal battery if not permanently connected.
I hope there's someone who can give some informed advice on my issue.
Thanks to all, in anticipation.
Subaru (UK) Levorg

I just used to have mine in the car when moving. I used to bring it in and connect it to the PC via USB so when using the PC the unit was charging, once fully charged, unplug it.
Then repeat in a week if I hadn't used it.

Now I've packed in the daily toil I only do a few thousand miles a year.

No problem now because my 380 has a capacitor. Unit stays onthe windscreen in the garage.

@TerryToye please rest assured parking mode will not fill up the SD card with protected files, only a certainly percentage will be allocated to protected files.

If you select a permanently live fuse please turn on parking mode other wise it will record 24/7 and put unnecessary stress on the SD card, going through many more rewrite cycles than normal.

@TerryToye please rest assured parking mode will not fill up the SD card with protected files, only a certainly percentage will be allocated to protected files.

If you select a permanently live fuse please turn on parking mode other wise it will record 24/7 and put unnecessary stress on the SD card, going through many more rewrite cycles than normal.

Thanks Tiffany.
In that case, as I use the car only a few times a week and I will be using a 64GB card, which feed would you recommend; The permanent live with Parking Mode (PM), OR an Ignition supplied feed, with PM On OR Ignition feed with PM Off.
Your advice would be really helpful as I have seen uSDCards fail with constant use.
Thanks.
Terry Toye

I recommend using a permanently live fuse, if you use the car infrequently there may not be enough driving hours to recharge the Dash Cam battery fully.

The hardwire kit will stop drawing the current if the voltage drops to 11.4V, protecting your car battery.

Would you recommend the same if my vehicle is parked on a driveway facing a main road?
So even though the car will be stationary and engine off, will the passing cars keep the camera active? Or does park mode only register GPS/car movement rather than movement passing the outside of camera?

Hi Terry welcome aboard.
I am retired and also use my car infrequently, around once or twice a week max. when not in use my car stands on my drive.
My camera is ignition wired using the NB kit via the cigarette/12volt power socket piggy-back to its 15amp fuse.
I have experienced no problems with the internal battery running down.

Switched on Parking Mode at 16.30 today and will check tomorrow morning and post what happened.

Results of my Parking Mode trial posted on Parking Mode thread.

Back