522GW causing drops between iPhone and Airpods

quadna71

Reaction score
Country
United States
Since installing the 522GW in my car it has been causing drops between my iPhone and my Apple Airpods.

Example, I get in car, start it up, the 522GW powers up since it is plugged into a "switched" 12v accessory plug (cig lighter style), and then I plug in my phone to a Lightning cord that is plugged into the car's USB port in order to run CarPlay (maps) while driving. Then I pick up my phone, connect my Airpods to the phone, and stay prepared in case a call comes in. But the phone will automatically make the WIFI connection to the 522GW which will then make the audio drop/reconnect for about 1 second and then repeat each 4 or 5 seconds until we give up.

Here's what I have done to troubleshoot the issue:
1 - Verified the phone has latest iOS installed - it did it with both 14.8.2 as well as the newest 15.0 installed. iPhone 11 Pro is the device.
2 - Pulled the 522GW out of the car (2016 Honda Civic) and plugged it into the truck (2021 Ford F-250) since both have the powered GPS antenna mount. Same audio glitch results.
3 - Went into the phone Settings ->Bluetooth and see that the phone is connected to both the Airpods as well as the Nextbase 522GW. I chose the 522GW, tapped on it to disconnect, and tested. Temporarily works, but then iPhone quickly reconnects to the 522GW and then starts to glitch the audio right away. Disconnected the 522GW again and then it automatically reconnects again right away.
4 - Started everything up like normal, got all connected, experienced the audio falls with the Bluetooth Airpods, and then turned off the 522GW - the glitching stopped immediately and all was well. Powered the cam back up and it reconnected immediately and glitched the Airpod audio.
5 - I've tried to have the Airpods connected first before even getting into the car, and then plug in and power everything up in hopes that it will prioritize the Bluetooth connections - nope, still kills my connection to the Airpods.

So all I know is that the phone and the cam both automatically connect when powered and that connection is killing any ability for the phone to also be connected another device via Bluetooth. Is there any way to not stay connected via Bluetooth? I know that the file transfers happen through WIFI when it creates that connection once you request it via the app, but I'm assuming the app communicates initially through Bluetooth and then uses the secondary WIFI connection to pass the larger files down to the phone. Is that correct? If so, can the device be told to not automatically connect via Bluetooth each and every time it is powered up? Otherwise I'm seriously going to have to try another option...but I'm not sure if other dashcams connect the same way and will cause me the same problem when she connects.

Help - any ideas? Really liking the resolution on this camera and don't want to give it up!

Hello,

Thank you for your message, I'm sorry to hear that you're having a Bluetooth connection issue with the 522GW and your Airpods.

What firmware is the Dash Cam on please?
1) Turn the Dash Cam on
2) Ensure it is not recording (by pressing the red circle if required)
3) Go into Settings (the button in the top left)
4) Go into Setup settings
5) Scroll across to ‘System Info’
6) Look at the Firmware number RXX.XX.

What app version is the MyNextbase Connect app on please?
Go to the MyNextbase Connect home page- click on the top left menu- scroll to the bottom of this menu. You'll see the Version displayed as XXXX.XX.X (XXXXXXX).

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

My 522GW is running firmware version R19.1 and my iPhone is running app version 2021.10.0 (376715359). Forgotten above under my troubleshooting steps was to ensure I had the latest available of each. And thank for such an attentive and prompt response!

IMG_2226.jpegIMG_2228.PNG

Hello,

Thank you for your update and for your thorough troubleshooting. I have filled in a bug report with all the information that you have provided and passed it onto our Development Team. The may need some further information, in which I will message you directly.

Kind regards,
Millie

Hi again,

Please can you try turning off your Mobile Data on your phone, then play the music/phone call. Does it then play without stuttering?

Kind regards,
Millie

I headed out and tried turning off my mobile data. It still dropped the Bluetooth connection between my iPhone and the Airpods two more times, and then it seemed to work for about a minute and then it started to drop the connection again. So it did seem to improve a little? Not sure why though as the cellular data shouldn't relate to Bluetooth. But even if this corrected the problem it wouldn't be a feasible solution as I can't keep the cellular data turned off on my phone or else I'd lose any traffic/accident data that accompanies using the phone for GPS through CarPlay.

What would you like me to try next?

Hello Chris,

I've just seen your email on our Support Tickets and I've followed up directly there.

Kind regards,
Millie

In case anyone was following this, we never found an acceptable solution. It looks like the only want to prevent any unnecessary Bluetooth interference is to "forget" the dashcam from the list of Bluetooth devices on my iPhone and then if I ever want to download to my phone I'd have to go through all the steps to mate them together again. Or possibly pull the SD card and find a computer to download too. My only computer is here at work and they don't allow memory devices to be connected...so maybe my iPad at home can do it. So overall....really not all that happy with the results. But I can say that the support team at Nextbase really did try to solve it for me. Hopefully someday they find a way to tell the dashcam to not take over the Bluetooth connection entirely so that other devices can also connect and co-exist.

Bummer you don’t have computer, I download videos by bringing 522gw to laptop and connecting by USB, copy videos I want, then edit etc. with video editing SW

I agree. I may talk to our IT department here and see if they have any old machines that they are donating since we tend to rotate them all out around the 3 year mark. There are a couple times when it could be useful with downloading videos just one of them.

Back