70mai A810 vs Viofo A129 / A139 Pro

IndecisivePerson

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm buying my first dashcam and is debating which features I should consider / prioritize. I'm looking for something reliable (e.g. will have useable footage if I'm ever in an accident) and under $200. Here are my general questions:
  • Does license plate legibility / video quality really differ between the three dashcams?
    • The Viofo A129 is budget-friendly, but the video quality and license legibility are not as good as the 70mai's and Viofo A139's (based off a YouTube video, "The Ultimate Dashcam Comparison 2023...", by The Hook Up).
  • Are capacitors that much better to have than lithium ion batteries?
    • The 70mai A810 is also budget-friendly and has good video quality, but uses a lithium ion battery. The Viofo dashcams use capacitors. I would be willing to pay more if it means that the dashcam I have will last longer, but does the lithium battery really make that much of a difference in lifetime-uses?
  • Is buying only 1ch a dumb decision?
    • I can buy an $80 cheaper Viofo A139 Pro if it is just 1 ch (and apparently the video quality is better for 1 ch) than if I were to buy a 2ch. Online, people have said that most accidents are caught by the front camera and the rear isn't as useful...
I've never used a dashcam before so a lot of my assumptions are based on YouTube videos and online articles. Any insights as to what features are / aren't practically useful would be extremely helpful. I would also love suggestions for dashcams if the three I listed are not actually that good.

Just one channel in my opinion is still very good. If I was just getting one channel, I would get Viofi Mini 2, with a VIOFO branded card, because it has Starvis 2. It has better number plate reading than A810 I believe.

Capacitors last more years than batteries, and I think where you live it can get both hot and cold.

A139 Pro single channel would be excellent too.

Get a CPL Polarizer filter, it stops reflections from the windshield.

Point the camera so the sky is barely in the picture. It means the light exposure for the licence plates is optimal.

Definitely get the branded SD card. Normal SD cards wear out quickly then you find it didn't record.

I'm buying my first dashcam
Welcome to the club.
The Hook Up is a credible source of information, and I consider him a subject matter expert.
However, for dash cams these are the current dash cam experts in my book;

1.) In 2024 the minimum requirements for a dash cam are STRAVIS 2 Image Sensor, and HDR.
Must have BOTH, STARVIS 2 without HDR is almost useless at night.
2.) Anything with a lithium battery just forget about it.

To get your feet wet with front only coverage the Viofo A119 Mini 2 on sale for $99 is your “best” option.
If you want to step it up a notch to Front & Rear the A229 Pro 2-CH ($263) is your “best” option if image quality is your priority.
I only recommended Viofo Brand SD Cards in Viofo dash cams if you value your sanity.

3.) If you want cloud connectivity check out BlackVue, (no HDR).
4.) If you want low power parking mode check out the Vueroid D21 4K.
Or the Thinkware U3000, (no HDR).

Here’s my boring reviews of the A119 Mini 2, and A229 Pro;

-Chuck

Does license plate legibility / video quality really differ between the three dashcams?
Plate legibility from the new Sony Starvis 2 sensors is significantly better than any others.
Plate legibility when moving at night is only feasible on the new Sony Starvis 2 sensors.

Are capacitors that much better to have than lithium ion batteries?
Yes, I expect about a 10 year life from capacitors and about 18 months from lithium batteries. We don't have many 10 year old capacitor dashcams yet, so they may last 18 years, but we do have plenty of battery dashcams that have failed, just do a Google search for "battery replacement" on your chosen battery dashcam, or the previous model if it is a new dashcam, and you will find plenty.

Is buying only 1ch a dumb decision?
Better to buy a good 1ch than a poor 2ch.

In most cases, if someone hits your rear end, it is automatically their fault, unless they can prove otherwise. Your front camera will show that you were doing nothing stupid when your car jumped forward accompanied by a loud noise.

If you get hit at the front, it is automatically a 50-50 unless you can prove otherwise, your front camera will show who was at fault.

If you get hit on the side, the rear camea will probably not show much useful.

It is good to have a rear camera, it shows people's behaviour when they were behind you, but to get started, a front only is fine, and if you then upgrade it, you can move the original to the rear and just buy another front only, which will in most cases give you better 2ch results than a 2ch dashcam, although slightly less convenient.

I can buy an $80 cheaper Viofo A139 Pro if it is just 1 ch
That is an excellent camera, maybe the best in 1ch form. The Viofo A119 Mini 2 is recommended above, which is also excellent, but if your area has license plates with hard to read text, then the A139 is worth a bit extra due to the higher resolution.

Back