70mai S500 Dash Camera review, Sony Starvis 2 in a mirror form-factor?

Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
70mai S500, A229 Pro, VS1, Nexus 4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3v2v1
70mai are well-known for their releases in the last few years with the first Sony Starvis 2 4K solution in the A810, and also the innovative rotating Omni. They're back at it again with the S500, the first time a Starvis 2 sensor has been seen from any brand in a rear-view mirror. Let's explore what this dashcam is all about.

70mai S500 (SigmaStar 8826Q, Sony Starvis 2 IMX675, SmartSens SC200AI) Review

IMG_20240413_201333882~2.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firmware: V1.1.23ww.2024.01.17. This is the firmware version loaded onto the device from the factory - I did not receive any further updates during the testing period.

App for testing: Android version 3.5.7, obtained from Google Play Store.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The verdict:

It has been a number of years since I've used a rear-view mirror dashcam. Although it was aeons ago, it felt more like a novelty to me that a camera could be integrated into a mirror solution. However, with the 70mai S500, I've come around to the idea of a mirror dashcam and how it can help road users. A lot of users may not have the funds for a newer car purchase, in which case the S500 brings them forward with today's technological dashcam advancements.

70mai should be commended for implementing a Starvis 2 solution in a simple touchscreen display package. It's not just a pretty face - it has the video quality to backup its intentions.

My nitpickings:

• App options are a little barebones in comparison to its competitors (would have preferred options to include plate number, flip rear camera orientation etc). Also, why do I have to sign-up for an account just to connect to the dashcam?
  • Rear camera sensor doesn't perform the best at night - but I'm sure that in coming years waterproof Starvis 2 solutions will come to market
  • Niggly bugs - had a couple of instances where the camera would not power on, and also forgot my last saved camera view
  • May not make as much sense for newer vehicles with ADAS hardware stalks on the front windshield, as this can obstruct the recorded view

The positive:

• Clean form factor in a well-designed retail package
  • Decent video quality from the Sony Starvis 2 IMX675 sensor, sets a precedent for rear-view mirror dashcams going forward
  • Clear and crisp display that isn't too reflective, with many options such as re-positioning and multi-view
  • Ambient light sensor works very well in all lighting conditions, adapting quickly
  • Heat dissipation solution works well (supercapacitor not battery), as the S500 doesn't overheat even with high ambient temperatures
  • Rear-camera parking assist lines work well with the rear RC13 camera

Last edited:
70mai S500 Dash Camera sample footage:

Daytime Footage (front): 2.5K max bitrate, HDR on:

Daytime Footage (rear): 1080p max bitrate, HDR on:

Night Footage (front): 2.5K max bitrate, HDR on:

Night Footage (rear): 1080p max bitrate, HDR on:

Last edited:
Hi
is the night time footage better than on S1 Pro thank you

One benefit (or drawback?) of having account logon in 70mai app is that - the connected devices come with the account. So that when you logon to 70mai app from a new phone, you see you cams there in the new phone.
The true drawback is - you cannot logon with the same account on two phones at the same time.

Hi
is the night time footage better than on S1 Pro thank you
For front camera I would say so yes, owing to bitrates and the like. Rear camera definitely not. I haven't done a direct comparison so would be interesting to see....

One benefit (or drawback?) of having account logon in 70mai app is that - the connected devices come with the account. So that when you logon to 70mai app from a new phone, you see you cams there in the new phone.
The true drawback is - you cannot logon with the same account on two phones at the same time.
This is true but to be honest how many folks are going to have multiple dashcams. I think that number would be in the very very slight minority. The account creation linkage with Google didn't even work correctly when I set it up either :(

Back