900x Plus doesnt enter parking mode/normal recording with hardwire kit

psk145

Reaction score
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Hi, I just installed a 900x plus 2 channel on my Tesla Model X. I have it hardwired with constant 12v to the yellow wire, and the red wire to a switched acc with a fuse tap. I confirmed the acc wire gets 12v when on and zero when off.

The camera does not switch modes immediately when the car/acc is on or off. It only enters parking mode after being stationary even though the car has been shut off. Same thing entering normal recording. It doesnt enter normal recording when the car is on and creeping, only when I get going.

any suggestions?

My camera has been buggy from the start and already replaced through amazon. First (and current) has issues with firmware upgrade, Trying to install the most current firmware just causes lights to blink for over 15 minutes after the inital "upgrading, dont power off" message. After giving up and sticking a newly formatted card with no folder, it does show most current vesion.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I just installed a 900x plus 2 channel on my Tesla Model X. I have it hardwired with constant 12v to the yellow wire, and the red wire to a switched acc with a fuse tap. I confirmed the acc wire gets 12v when on and zero when off.

The camera does not switch modes immediately when the car/acc is on or off. It only enters parking mode after being stationary even though the car has been shut off. Same thing entering normal recording. It doesnt enter normal recording when the car is on and creeping, only when I get going.

any suggestions?

My camera has been buggy from the start and already replaced through amazon. First (and current) has issues with firmware upgrade, Trying to install the most current firmware just causes lights to blink for over 15 minutes after the inital "upgrading, dont power off" message. After giving up and sticking a newly formatted card with no folder, it does show most current vesion.

Thanks in advance!

With your dashcam model, I'm pretty sure there is a delay purposely implemented so that you don't have your more sensitive parking mode g-sensors going off when you close the doors or the trunk. I believe the time frame might be 3 minutes, after which time it will enter parking mode.

I believe your car should go out of parking mode and into normal mode once the gps sensor notices movement.

As for your firmware upgrade, I believe it might be easier to do it on a computer. Have you tried that?

With your dashcam model, I'm pretty sure there is a delay purposely implemented so that you don't have your more sensitive parking mode g-sensors going off when you close the doors or the trunk. I believe the time frame might be 3 minutes, after which time it will enter parking mode.

I believe your car should go out of parking mode and into normal mode once the gps sensor notices movement.

As for your firmware upgrade, I believe it might be easier to do it on a computer. Have you tried that?

I was trying to upgrade the firmware by using the computer to format the card in the correct version, then copying the blackvue files onto the empty card.

I thought the whole point of wiring the acc lead was to allow it to more or less change modes immediately when the car was started or shut off. It is functioning basically the same way before I had the acc wire hooked up. I ordered the wrong fuse tap size so I just wired up the constant 12v and ground.

In the Blackvue SD card reader on the computer, you can do the firmware upgrade there. It should go pretty easily there.

I believe one of the main reasons for using a 3 wire hardwire kit is it will prevent your battery from running down.

I believe there might have been a time when the normal mode to parking mode transition went very quickly. People were complaining that every time they closed the door or the trunk after entering parking mode they would get an impact notice. So by allowing a time interval in between, that does away with that false alarm.

As for my model, 750 2Ch LTE Plus, my camera does not switch to parking mode until 5 minutes has elapsed. I kind of think I would prefer the 3 minutes...

@psk145 based on your statements of how the DR900X-2CH Plus dashcam is installed and wired, it should enter/exit parking mode based on the accessory power being present (normal mode) and absent (parking mode). Please also make sure the "Battery protection" firmware setting is enabled. If the dashcam is wired correctly and the "Battery protection" feature is disabled, the dashcam will turn off when the accessory power is removed, so that's why you must make sure the "Battery protection" feature is enabled. Even after it enters parking mode, there is a 3-minute delay before the parking mode G-Sensor settings are activated to allow you to exit the vehicle without triggering "false events".

If the 3-wire hardwiring harness is wired correctly and the connector that plugs into the dashcam is in working order (right side of the included picture), you should be able to test for the accessory and constant power being supplied to the dashcam right at the connector itself. If the accessory power turns on/off as expected when you check the outer ring section at the end of the connector, then there could be something wrong with the dashcam itself.

All BlackVue dashcams that support parking mode support a motion based parking mode. Motion based parking will be activated when the vehicle is stationary for 5-minutes (even when powered by the 3-wire harness) and it should exit parking mode when the vehicle begins to move again.

blackvue_dc_power_connector_changes.jpg

I get more than a few questions on my YouTube channel about "Why does my BlackVue dashcam [main question here] in parking mode". So, I created a video trying to cover the most common questions I get about BlackVue dashcams that support parking mode.

I hope something in this post helps.

@psk145 based on your statements of how the DR900X-2CH Plus dashcam is installed and wired, it should enter/exit parking mode based on the accessory power being present (normal mode) and absent (parking mode). Please also make sure the "Battery protection" firmware setting is enabled. If the dashcam is wired correctly and the "Battery protection" feature is disabled, the dashcam will turn off when the accessory power is removed, so that's why you must make sure the "Battery protection" feature is enabled. Even after it enters parking mode, there is a 3-minute delay before the parking mode G-Sensor settings are activated to allow you to exit the vehicle without triggering "false events".

If the 3-wire hardwiring harness is wired correctly and the connector that plugs into the dashcam is in working order (right side of the included picture), you should be able to test for the accessory and constant power being supplied to the dashcam right at the connector itself. If the accessory power turns on/off as expected when you check the outer ring section at the end of the connector, then there could be something wrong with the dashcam itself.

All BlackVue dashcams that support parking mode support a motion based parking mode. Motion based parking will be activated when the vehicle is stationary for 5-minutes (even when powered by the 3-wire harness) and it should exit parking mode when the vehicle begins to move again.

View attachment 60169

I get more than a few questions on my YouTube channel about "Why does my BlackVue dashcam [main question here] in parking mode". So, I created a video trying to cover the most common questions I get about BlackVue dashcams that support parking mode.

I hope something in this post helps.

that does help. I confirmed the constant 12v as well as the accessory working properly from the connector.

So the delay in entering parking mode is normal. Should it immediately enter normal recording once accessory power is on? Or does that also delay until movement?

It was doing that already when I didnt wire up the accessory wire, so I guess I dont see the point in connecting that.

I was able to re-install the firmware using the app. The computer process never worked.

So the delay in entering parking mode is normal. Should it immediately enter normal recording once accessory power is on? Or does that also delay until movement?

It was doing that already when I didnt wire up the accessory wire, so I guess I dont see the point in connecting that.

If the dashcam is properly powered by the 3-wire harness and the firmware setting "Battery protection" is enabled, the dashcam should immediately enter parking mode when the accessory power is turned off. It should also immediately exit parking mode when the accessory power is turned on. You should hear a "Parking mode on" and "Parking mode off" as the dashcam enters/exits parking mode.

Once the dashcam enters parking mode, there is an additional 3-minute delay before the firmware activates the parking mode G-sensor sensitivity settings which are usually more sensitive than normal mode. It gives the occupant(s) 3-minutes to exit the vehicle after turning off the ignition (accessory power) so the closing of the vehicle door(s) don't falsely generate a parking mode impact event.

Motion based parking mode entry/exit logic runs in parallel to the native parking mode. The motion based parking mode entry occurs when the vehicle has been stationary for 5-minutes. The motion based parking mode exit takes places when the vehicle begins to move again. The dashcam can still enter parking mode at times when it's in normal recording mode and the vehicle becomes stationary for 5-minutes (in situation like a traffic jam or waiting in drive-thru line).

IMO, it's strange to have both methods of detecting when to enter/exit parking mode active at the same time. In the past couple of reviews, I've made the suggestion to Pittasoft to add a firmware setting to enable/disable motion based parking mode.

I was able to re-install the firmware using the app. The computer process never worked.
I've installed firmware via the app and by preparing the microSD card with the updated firmware on my computer.

Make sure you're installing the correct firmware for the model dashcam you have. For the DR900X-2CH Plus, it should be from the dr900x-plus-v1.005-eng.zip file.

When using the computer method, you must format the microSD card so the file system is empty. The firmware zip file contains the full directory structure from the top of the micrSD card's file system.

At the top level you should see a "BlackVue" directory. On Windows, you can right click on that directory and click on "Copy".
bvfw_level_1.png

Navigate to the top of the microSD card's file system (which should be blank at this point) and right click to get the menu and then click on "Paste". That should copy the entire directory structure over to the microSD card.

At the top level on the microSD card, you should see the "BlackVue" directory (like you did in the zip file) and then if you navigate into the "BlackVue" directory you should see the "Config", "Record" and "System" directories (like in this picture).

bvfw_level_2.png

With everything copied over to the microSD card, you can then dismount the microSD card to make sure everything is flushed out and fully written to the microSD card's file system. Then take that microSD card and install it into the dashcam and power up the dashcam and it should install the firmware you've pre-staged on microSD card.

If the dashcam is properly powered by the 3-wire harness and the firmware setting "Battery protection" is enabled, the dashcam should immediately enter parking mode when the accessory power is turned off. It should also immediately exit parking mode when the accessory power is turned on. You should hear a "Parking mode on" and "Parking mode off" as the dashcam enters/exits parking mode.

Once the dashcam enters parking mode, there is an additional 3-minute delay before the firmware activates the parking mode G-sensor sensitivity settings which are usually more sensitive than normal mode. It gives the occupant(s) 3-minutes to exit the vehicle after turning off the ignition (accessory power) so the closing of the vehicle door(s) don't falsely generate a parking mode impact event.

Motion based parking mode entry/exit logic runs in parallel to the native parking mode. The motion based parking mode entry occurs when the vehicle has been stationary for 5-minutes. The motion based parking mode exit takes places when the vehicle begins to move again. The dashcam can still enter parking mode at times when it's in normal recording mode and the vehicle becomes stationary for 5-minutes (in situation like a traffic jam or waiting in drive-thru line).

IMO, it's strange to have both methods of detecting when to enter/exit parking mode active at the same time. In the past couple of reviews, I've made the suggestion to Pittasoft to add a firmware setting to enable/disable motion based parking mode.

I've installed firmware via the app and by preparing the microSD card with the updated firmware on my computer.

Make sure you're installing the correct firmware for the model dashcam you have. For the DR900X-2CH Plus, it should be from the dr900x-plus-v1.005-eng.zip file.

When using the computer method, you must format the microSD card so the file system is empty. The firmware zip file contains the full directory structure from the top of the micrSD card's file system.

At the top level you should see a "BlackVue" directory. On Windows, you can right click on that directory and click on "Copy".
View attachment 60171

Navigate to the top of the microSD card's file system (which should be blank at this point) and right click to get the menu and then click on "Paste". That should copy the entire directory structure over to the microSD card.

At the top level on the microSD card, you should see the "BlackVue" directory (like you did in the zip file) and then if you navigate into the "BlackVue" directory you should see the "Config", "Record" and "System" directories (like in this picture).

View attachment 60170

With everything copied over to the microSD card, you can then dismount the microSD card to make sure everything is flushed out and fully written to the microSD card's file system. Then take that microSD card and install it into the dashcam and power up the dashcam and it should install the firmware you've pre-staged on microSD card.
OK so it sounds like there might be a problem with this camera. There is definitely no immediate audio confirming mode change. Only after being powered on for a few minutes it will enter parking mode, and into normal mode only after movement. I did also try pushing the connector in more in hopes that maybe it wasnt fully inserted, but it's as far in as it will go.

I will send an email to support and see if it's a firmware issue or something else. Im not sure if my initial firmware attempts messed something up.

I guess I can always just request another replacement from Amazon.

Thanks for the detailed answers you have provided

update: Support asked me to change G force settings, which I questioned what it had to do with the hardwire setup. I told them it was my understanding that with the accessory hard wire, it should immediately switch to normal recording when on and vice versa. No comment back from them on that.

I was also told to update the firmware through the computer. Again it just blinked for over an hour and never officially completed. This was with the blackvue supplied SD card and mine.

Current advise is to exchange for another. I hope third time is the charm, but Im a bit skeptical since 2 have had the exact same problem with the firmware upgrade. Maybe I will avoid trying to upgrade the firmware on this third unit until a later release.

update: Support asked me to change G force settings, which I questioned what it had to do with the hardwire setup. I told them it was my understanding that with the accessory hard wire, it should immediately switch to normal recording when on and vice versa. No comment back from them on that.

I was also told to update the firmware through the computer. Again it just blinked for over an hour and never officially completed. This was with the blackvue supplied SD card and mine.

Current advise is to exchange for another. I hope third time is the charm, but Im a bit skeptical since 2 have had the exact same problem with the firmware upgrade. Maybe I will avoid trying to upgrade the firmware on this third unit until a later release.
I am pretty sure Blackvue has a tier-2 tech support. When it seems like you're getting nowhere, ask that tier-2 gets involved with your Blackvue problem. AND if you still feel like they're giving you routine things to do which have nothing to do with your problem, ask for a manager!

Normally, Blackvue support is very good, and I always speak up for them on this forum as they are "normally" one of the best. - - But, you've paid too much for your dashcam not to get real solutions. - - Ideally, a replacement dashcam should resolve your problem. - - Good luck!

third time is the charm! This one works as intended out of the box with regards to switching modes immediately when accessory power is applied or turned off.

Only change is that I did not update to the latest firmware. I have a feeling that might have been the cause of my problems. I will wait until the next version to come out before upgrading and fingers crossed it will work!

Only change is that I did not update to the latest firmware. I have a feeling that might have been the cause of my problems. I will wait until the next version to come out before upgrading and fingers crossed it will work!
I'm glad this one is working for you. What version of firmware does this replacement dash cam currently have installed? Yesterday, Pittasoft released updated firmware for three different dash cam models. The DR900X Plus version was updated to 1.006 to support their newly released DMS device.

If you do upgrade the firmware and find it doesn't work correctly any longer, I have an online archive of BlackVue firmware files that you could download the version your dash cam is currently running. The manual installation process would be required to install the firmware from those firmware file bundles (zip file). The manual installation process seems to be their support group's first thing to try for any problem. I've had no problems installing firmware updates using the manual process (if necessary).

I'm glad this one is working for you. What version of firmware does this replacement dash cam currently have installed? Yesterday, Pittasoft released updated firmware for three different dash cam models. The DR900X Plus version was updated to 1.006 to support their newly released DMS device.

If you do upgrade the firmware and find it doesn't work correctly any longer, I have an online archive of BlackVue firmware files that you could download the version your dash cam is currently running. The manual installation process would be required to install the firmware from those firmware file bundles (zip file). The manual installation process seems to be their support group's first thing to try for any problem. I've had no problems installing firmware updates using the manual process (if necessary).
oh that's great to know! I'm kind of curious if installing an older version would correct the other camera's issue. I havent sent it back yet, so if you have them available, I wouldnt mind trying!

This camera is currently on 1.002

Is the manual process similar to the upgrade process with the computer? Just putting the files onto a formatted card? Or is or involved?

This camera is currently on 1.002
Versions 1.001 and 1.002 were not publicly available (according to the firmware change log). I have all other versions other than 1.001 and 1.002.

Is the manual process similar to the upgrade process with the computer? Just putting the files onto a formatted card? Or is or involved?
The manual process is using a computer to format the microSD card, and copy over the entire directory structure that's present in the firmware zip file. Then install that microSD card into the dash cam and boot it up and let it process the files on the microSD card.

I created a conversation thread to send you the location of the my file repository.

@rcg530 I know some dashcam companies, one in particular, provides their users with firmware that either removes desired features from previous firmware or messes things up.

I haven't yet seen that happen with Blackvue/Pittasoft; have you? Maybe because I'm so new to Blackvue, I haven't yet encountered that happening...

I did the firmware upgrade to 1.006 with the app, and the parking mode is still working. I will see if the other camera will upgrade to .006 before trying to roll it backwards.

old camera also would not update to 1.006 using the computer method. Giving up on that one. Thanks for all the help!

@rcg530 I know some dashcam companies, one in particular, provides their users with firmware that either removes desired features from previous firmware or messes things up.

I haven't yet seen that happen with Blackvue/Pittasoft; have you? Maybe because I'm so new to Blackvue, I haven't yet encountered that happening...
I have not encountered a firmware upgrade for a BlackVue dash cam that removed a feature (that I'm aware of). Well, there's one exception to that statement in the X Plus series dash cameras. The X series (and earlier) dash cams would allow you to set the exposure value for the cameras, while with the X Plus series firmware they removed that capability in favor of the firmware selected exposure values. I believe the firmware selected exposure value for each camera is why the underexposed rear video is occurring with the RC110F X Plus series rear camera.

I have had Pittasoft's support group ask me to downgrade the firmware to confirm something was or wasn't working in the older firmware release. The only way to downgrade is to use the manual method (format microSD / copy firmware zip file contents to the microSD / use that microSD at next dash cam boot).

Back