A plug is not just a plug

I dont do backup i have to say, and every time i do a Format c: i forget even to backup my browser favorites, even if that could also be done automatic using firefox.

But i dont very much like automated things, well at least not something someone else have put together, otherwise i am lazy and will generally jump the fence where it is the lowest if i can.

Does nobody ever back up their computers? I regularly back up my computer...
Full backups weekly (3 categories - photos, A/V media, everything else), incremental backups daily - all scheduled to run overnight. Switch and rotate external drives each week.

I do several types of backups including clones on a regular basis using multiple hard drives. I do staggered backups which I rotate through on a casual but fairly consistent schedule so that I always have the most recent version and the one before that.

As for how long it takes, I don't worry about it. I do my backing up when I'm not otherwise using my computers for other tasks.

Maybe some people do incremental backups - only copy over the changed/new stuff?
Reasons I have done a full backup:
1) First time backup (twice since I have two backup disks that I alternate every month)
2) Replace a backup disk because one got dropped while writing.
3) Replace both backup disks since the amount of data I was backing up became more than the size of the backup drives
Reasons for doing a full restore:
1) Re-install OS because an upgrade went sideways (this has happened multiple times Usually on a major upgrade of Linux Mint)
2) Replace computer with a newer faster computer
3) Replace hard drives in computer with larger hard drives.
3) Copy the family photos to my mothers computer

It happens often enough that a high speed transfer is nice to have.

Does nobody ever back up their computers? I regularly back up my computer, and I have at least 3TB of family photos that I back up to external USB hard disks. A full back up takes several hours, even at 5Gbps with USB 3.0. A 8x speed improvement would be welcome.

I use Linux Mint and do a TimeShift backup on every boot. I include more folders that most people do so it is pretty much a full backup of the main SSD drive. Sometimes I do backups on the other 3 SSD drives, which are manual backups. A few of the Mint experts complained that a full backup on every boot was too much, but I have not ever lost data I could not replace.

The $130 cable (like most high quality data cables) can handle 40 Gbps, all the other charging cables they showed would only handle 480 Mbps since they only had the USB 2.0 wires, and not the USB super speed wires added in USB 3.0. So approximately a 100x speed difference.
On paper, in real life it's often a lot different. Just saying it would have been interesting to see some real times to move the same size file on an "average" computer.

Back