A118/A119 with capacitors - which FW to use?

Forty45

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting the blue screen with options of Mass Storage or PC camera. I thought this could have been a battery failing, but upon disassembly find there are 2 capacitors inside.
My thoughts were to try a firmware update. Where should I go for that? I looked at the Viofo site and see several similar looking dashcams, but mine isn't a Viofo, it's an unbranded clone. I'd guess it's at least 7 years old, so might it be a 118?

Photos included if that helps identify it.

Many thanks.PXL_20231120_154011204.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231120_154020610.jpg
    PXL_20231120_154020610.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 4
I'm getting the blue screen with options of Mass Storage or PC camera. I thought this could have been a battery failing, but upon disassembly find there are 2 capacitors inside.
My thoughts were to try a firmware update. Where should I go for that? I looked at the Viofo site and see several similar looking dashcams, but mine isn't a Viofo, it's an unbranded clone. I'd guess it's at least 7 years old, so might it be a 118?

Many thanks.View attachment 69273

Does this look like it
BC40?
i think there is a forum member who may have sold them but at the moment i can't remember their name.

Here is a link

Attachments

• 2BC40 A118 dash cam walmart specs.pdf
    595.9 KB · Views: 0
  • BC40 A118 dash cam walmart specs.pdf
    596 KB · Views: 0

Many thanks.View attachment 69273
We cannot confirm if it is A118C or A118C2. You can try both the firmware of them.
A118C2: https://support.viofo.com/support/s...0081665-viofo-a118c2-car-dash-camera-firmware
A118C: https://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000065837-viofo-a118c-firmware

Does this look like it
BC40?
i think there is a forum member who may have sold them but at the moment i can't remember their name.

Here is a link

Yes, it looks just like that one. But that one has a battery "Battery: 3.7V 300mAh (lasts 5-10 mins without power source)"

It appears I have a A118C with B40S Firmware (discovered the FW version in the settings, which I wasn't aware was possible)
After searching I found a 2017 FW version which I flashed to it and it seems to be working correctly again.

It appears I have a A118C with B40S Firmware (discovered the FW version in the settings, which I wasn't aware was possible)
After searching I found a 2017 FW version which I flashed to it and it seems to be working correctly again.
That's great news.
Can you post the link where you found the firmware to help others?

Back