A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

The back one turns off. 30 minutes is NOT going to make a dent on the battery using the camera. For the Ford owners Worldwide, visit the focus fanatics site. It has every answer that you can imagine. It even has a FORD shop manual for download free including the wiring manual. 2012-2014 are called MK3, I think 2008-2011 are MK2. That is the official model designation. I took apart my center console, sunroof, rear hatch all thanks to that great site. I have my center consol carbon fiber wrapped. Without that site and the manual, I would have been totally lost. Like I said, they had many questions on dash cams and I referred them here as well.

Yeah I've used that forum in the past to get answers on questions and just discuss the car in general (it was what tipped me in favour of the focus actually). It's a great resource.

hey guys, if you were to choose between this and the gt680w. what would you prefer?

I phoned the Ford dealer I purchased my car from last year, and they've advised me that doing this sort of rewiring will void my warranty, and they will not do the work to prevent that. So now I have to figure out what parts of the warranty would be voided, and if the risk is worth it since I have 7 years left on the warranty.

They could potentially deny service for anything connected to the electrical system. Installing something like a Painless Wiring block can isolate all your electrical mods from the car's system, saving your warranty.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/p.php?s=fuseb

hey guys, if you were to choose between this and the gt680w. what would you prefer?
I'll soon have the A118 and it will be sitting next to my GT680W in the back - if you can wait a week I'll let you know as soon as it arrives :)

Motion detection is a part of parking mode.
I know there are many different individual meanings / definitions if we take word for word outside dashcam world, but in dashcam forums there are commonly used expressions and meanings. We all have to get used to them ;)

Has anyone confirmed that Motion Detection (used as Parking Mode) is working ok so far? (with or without a Low Voltage Cut Off Battery Discharge Prevention hard wire kit/box)
I was told the battery version of B40 isn't ideal to use for Parking Mode since it would be operating in the Green House effect heat of the car sitting in the sun for example.

in other news, my a118 failed to loop record once the card filled up. i had it set to 3 minutes and it was generating 3 minute files just fine... till the card filled up. wife called me out to the car and said "it's not recording, it says card full."

i changed it to 1 minute then did a format on the camera. we'll see what happens when it fills up again.

card is a ridata 32gb class 10, which spytec sold with the a118 as a package deal.
I'm having the same issues. Every time my card fills up with 3 minute loop clips, the card reads full and will no longer record. Sometimes the camera stays on indefinitely and I cannot switch it off or use any buttons besides screensaver mode. I have to hit the reset button on the side to break the "Card Full" mode and power off. Is there a setting that automatically rewrites the card when full?

talk to whoever you bought it from, there's some bugs in the firmware still in the China market version of this camera, the seller will need to follow up with wherever they've sourced them from for an update

I'll soon have the A118 and it will be sitting next to my GT680W in the back - if you can wait a week I'll let you know as soon as it arrives :)
Awesome. I'll wait for your review.

I'm having the same issues. Every time my card fills up with 3 minute loop clips, the card reads full and will no longer record. Sometimes the camera stays on indefinitely and I cannot switch it off or use any buttons besides screensaver mode. I have to hit the reset button on the side to break the "Card Full" mode and power off. Is there a setting that automatically rewrites the card when full?
I've also same kind of issue.

My loop parameter is 5 min.

First time, the A118 has filled up the card and loop was working fine until it stops and says "Card Full".
I have reformatted the card into the dashcam.

Second time, same thing again, loop has worked for some files and stopped again with "Card Full" message.
Without reformatting, I have set loop to 3 min, and it was working fine, 3 oldest files were deleted.
So, I've set loop to 5 min again, but immediatly says " Card Full".
Back to loop 3 min, works fine...

My A118 comes from Foxoffer.
Firmware : B40.20140523.001

Last edited:
I just bought mine and have been using it a few days. One problem I am having when reviewing recorded footage on the dashcam is that the Fast-Forward button (>>|:>>) , which I assume is the "mic" button does not fast forward at all. When I have a video playing on the dashcam screen and push the mic button.... it just freezes up and the timestamp counter is replaced by the "1080FHD" in the right hand corner. Rewind does seem to work, though. Also.. I cannot cycle forward through the different 5 minute sections of recordded footage with that button (the mic button) like I can with the "Rec" (rewind) button.

I assume it is a firmware problem. I have B40.20140523.001

Last edited:
Blimey, just had an email to say that I've had a package from China delivered to work - Foxoffer don't mess around :)

I'm next in the office tomorrow so will pick it up then (if I can wait that long) and see how she performs.

Well I'm back from my 11 day trip with the first 10 days of files copied to a USB HDD using my Netbook. The journey home (about 10 hrs) is on the card that was in my A118. When I transferred the files on the card using my new Transcend SDXC card reader to my PC HDD I found that not only could I not move the bulk of them, I also can't view them. That's well over 300 files. I didn't have a problem transferring previously.

Putting the card back in the A118 and connecting it to my PC I was able to move the files without a problem. But still can't view them.

MPC says "Can't render file". VLC says, "VLC can't recognize the input's format."

The files from the previous day are viewable but on the sample I looked at there is quite a bit of corruption (pixelation and green banding).

So at this point I'm not best pleased. I hope to somehow view the 300+ files but I'm not sure how I can achieve this. I also need to check all the other files to see if there are others that aren't viewable.

At this point my confidence in using a 64GB Fat32 card has taken a hit. I'm going to switch back to 32GB now I'm home. With a 32 you can format it in cam and have greater confidence it will work 100%.

I also wish I'd stuck to using my Mobius for the trip now.

No errors. I've already run it thru chkdsk and before I used the card I ran it thru h2testw.

I agree it looks like a corrupted file system and indeed when I try to transfer with the card reader I get the error message:- "error 0x80070570. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." Using the card reader I can't move the files, only copy them. Using the cam I was able to move them.

Having moved the files off the card I've run h2testw on it again and it was all good.

I put another 64GB card in the cam, made a short journey and the files are viewable. Although I notice a buzzing/crackle sound on the audio and some corruption of the video.

Don't you just love buying kit that just works consistently that you can have complete faith in. Yes I know you get what you pay for. Yes I know it still needs some work/tweaking of the firmware but is anyone actually doing it or have they moved on?

The latest Ambarella SDK added >32GB support. (it's an expensive Microsoft exFAT license thing) I wonder what is keeping Novatek based solutions from natively supporting > 32GB cards.

I just bought mine and have been using it a few days. One problem I am having when reviewing recorded footage on the dashcam is that the Fast-Forward button (>>|:>>) , which I assume is the "mic" button does not fast forward at all. When I have a video playing on the dashcam screen and push the mic button.... it just freezes up and the timestamp counter is replaced by the "1080FHD" in the right hand corner. Rewind does seem to work, though. Also.. I cannot cycle forward through the different 5 minute sections of recordded footage with that button (the mic button) like I can with the "Rec" (rewind) button.

I assume it is a firmware problem. I have B40.20140523.001
I have same issue with same firmware.
Foxoffer has been alerted, waiting for firmware fix.

in other news, my a118 failed to loop record once the card filled up. i had it set to 3 minutes and it was generating 3 minute files just fine... till the card filled up. wife called me out to the car and said "it's not recording, it says card full."

i changed it to 1 minute then did a format on the camera. we'll see what happens when it fills up again.

card is a ridata 32gb class 10, which spytec sold with the a118 as a package deal.
seems to be looping OK with it set to 1 minute. currently it has about 500mb free, and the oldest file shows teh car in motion so it appears to be working.

looks like the way it cleans up old files is in chunks rather than one at a time - each 1 minute file is about 115mb. that's fine - whatever works!

edit: this is with the 0523 firmware.

Back