A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

Yes, I think there are some special image settings for rear cameras, but I think the day image is sacrificed for a better night vision.

enjoy,
Mtz

reverse cameras typically are aimed down at the rear of the vehicle and don't really deal with direct light so the settings can be much different as a result, it's all about using the right tool for the job

Reactions: Mtz
True. Its not the right "tool" for reverse cam, but its as close as one could get if the goal is to record AND show live feed. I think these cameras are good enough for reverse camera. I just need to configure it as goog as I can. Ive seen a special ir led array which helped a lot, but Im not sure which cam was used. I only saw a recording.. So I was wondering if it would help with this cam if ir leds are powerful enough. Guess not.
I'll try some settings first.

If inside car, IR will reflect on the window. And you need a lot of IR LEDs to obtain visibility.

enjoy,
Mtz

OK, I understand. I should install LEDs on the outside then. I only need a couple of meters of light.

It would be great if you could swap out say the side lights or DRLs for IR bulbs - although saying that I guess they're becoming a legal requirement in the daytime in some countries so they'd still need to work as standard lightsources.

I wonder if they'd be any good if you swapped over say every other bulb to an IR T10 assuming that size fits? I guess they're not massively powerful so may just light up the front of the car even more and leave stuff in the distance hidden?

I've got leds in for the numberplate housing area at the rear - thinking about it if you put an IR LED in there I wonder if it would cause camera sensors to clip the plate out if they weren't fitted with an IR filter?

Saying that if a lens has an IR filter fitted does that mean it would ignore IR light sources anyway?

dashcam scene is getting hotter, just saw 2 new exciting model in foxoffer :rolleyes::rolleyes: ...

CDV300X Ambarella A7LA50 1296P Car Dash Camera with GPS Logger & Mini 0805 Ambarella A7LA50D 1296P Car Dash Camera DVR (thot i saw next gen is mini 0806??)

There is going to be an 0805 in the old 0803 shell and then the 0806 is the nicer version with a better featureset IMHO :)

wonder how would CDV300X pit against A118? looking forward the night review ;)

The CDV300X should win at night - there was another SG variant kicking around in testing though which has better night performance than the A118 due to a different lens and better firmware. It should be similar to the Mini0803 looking at the specs.

Yes Jokiin's Street Guardian super capacitor "B40/A118" shaped housing Novatek version with other enhancements is still in the works. (Stay tuned)

This other Street Guardian model is also on the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone found an acceptable polarizing filter to use with the A118? Does the rectangular iPhone polarizer work? Any others? I have a Focus too and the glare is horrible.

This camera is interesting. Who is the official seller? I live in the countryside so there aren't any streetlights here. How the camera performs in that kind of situations (night, no streetlights)?

There are no "official" sellers for this dash cam. However, there are "reputable" sellers (like us at BlackBoxed.ca), that people here will recommend to you. Listen to them, even if it might be a few dollars more than what you find on eBay. You'll have peace of mind that you have warranty with your dash cam.

Kelvin

Here are some video comparisons A118 vs Mini 0805, A118 vs Mini 0803:

You can find more video comparisons on my HD2You YouTube channel.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes! This is what I've been asking/waiting for as I can't mount cameras in the center of the windshield because of required vehicle inspection sticker behind the mirror!

Dashmello,
Is there a website that shows mods?

New member here. Love the site. Much help is given. Much give and take. Thank you. Comments on the site convinced me to buy from FoxOffer. I'm Waiting on my mini805 and will order 3 of the A118/B40's tomorrow (Christmas presents for my 3 sons).

Great deal at Target Stores on 32gb, miniSDHC cards made by LEXAR. These are Korean. Sale thru 11/26 for $17.99. Website may have them too, but I bought in the store.

Cool. I got shocked looking in BEST BUY stores. Prices for SanDisk were $44+ and upwards of $129 for 64gb. So I was happy with $17.99. Thank you.

Yeah, some time that shop should be called "BEST not BUY" :)

Back