A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

LOL, I have three Brits in my office today visiting from our UK office. Do not worry I am rubbing it in the face as well! :D

OH and my A118 will be here before noon tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Hi Chris,

What EV value did you set the A118 too? I like +07-1.0 on the G1W. Alas, I sold it this morning to my colleague at work.

I let the EV to +0.0 on G1w, G1WH and A118.
Only mini 0803 needs EV adjustement.

Ok, I only increased it a little on the G1W as my neighborhood lighting is terrible.

Nice! According to the forecast that @Dashmellow linked to - Wales has "sprinkles" today!! There I was thinking that was something that was used to top your kids ice cream cone... Makes a change though as normally it's "severe sprinkles".;)

Too funny! Apparently, "sprinkles" is an Americanism, although most forecasters use the term "drizzle". That's not a site I ordinarily use for weather but as it had both locations in detail, I went for it. Actually, a really unique new weather site to check out for those who are not familiar with it is forecast.io Plug in your street address and try the animations and other features. If you bookmark the local forecast at your home address it will remember your longitude and latitude in great detail in the bookmark but will not track you or invade your privacy in any way.

P.S. We call them sprinkles on our ice cream too but where I grew up as a kid they sometimes called the "jimmies".

Last edited:
Very interesting read all, Thank you. @reverend thanks for pointing me in this direction. :)

I was looking to get the mini 0801, like the idea of the HD Roadhawk, but too expensive.
Then reading on here, got giddy over the Panorama II / Panorama S but amazon don’t sell to the UK. A friend is getting the Transcend drive pro 200, but I think it’s a little bulky.

So I may save my amazon vouchers and get the A118? I did want GPS but reading here to don’t necessarily need it, is that correct?

May I ask do you all just leave this in your car or do you remove each journey? I didn’t really want to faff about removing it each time. I’m from UK, Manchester so I doubt we will get the wonderful heat most of you have been having, but we do get a lot of rain. :eek:

Do I need an card to go into it? Which ones do you recommend, amazon as I have vouchers :p

Sorry to ask question, but you can read my name, I really need it spelling out to me as I dont understand techy stuff, so thank you all in advance.:cool:

I been using a dashcam for a few years and it saved me BIG time during a dispute with another insurance company. I posted the link to youtube where I uploaded the video and five minutes later they accepted full responsibility. I would have been out of pocket a grand. I live in South FLorida where insurance fraud runs rampart!! I also caught my Ford Dealer mechanic taking my car for lunch and left it running of 30 minutes unattended in a crappy area. That is on Youtube as well lol. GPS....well I do not want my speed logged as sometimes I may or may not be on the fast side. It is not a real time true GPS persay for directions like a dedicated screen. It is a real time logger. I brought mine as a toy more than a tool. This is my opinion and does not reflect the majority here lol :p

A 32gb class 10 Sandisk micro sd is always a good choice. On the main page to DCT is a great wiki on dashcams. http://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-buying-guide/

I think Niko is dashcam man alter ego lol

It is better to let the A118 in place.
Very stealth.

No problem with temperature if you use it windows opened or with air conditioned.
Mine was installed in a confined space.

On a 32GB SD card, you'll record about 5h30.

I been using a dashcam for a few years and it saved me BIG time during a dispute with another insurance company. I posted the link to youtube where I uploaded the video and five minutes later they accepted full responsibility. I would have been out of pocket a grand. I live in South FLorida where insurance fraud runs rampart!! I also caught my Ford Dealer mechanic taking my car for lunch and left it running of 30 minutes unattended in a crappy area. That is on Youtube as well lol. GPS....well I do not want my speed logged as sometimes I may or may not be on the fast side. It is not a real time true GPS persay for directions like a dedicated screen. It is a real time logger. I brought mine as a toy more than a tool. This is my opinion and does not reflect the majority here lol :p

A 32gb class 10 Sandisk micro sd is always a good choice. On the main page to DCT is a great wiki on dashcams. http://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-buying-guide/

I think Niko is dashcam man alter ego lol

Wow you are a true DashCam veteran then, excellent stories thanks for sharing.

And no Niko is a real person, I met him in real life! (in Hong Kong at an electronics show)

He just hit you and drove off in that video! What a bellend!

.. Edit ..
Actually it was the other white van - thought he'd done a runner the first time I watched that!

I received the A118. I loaded the card and completed the setup. My first impressions are Cool! It is small frame size. So far the only things that irks me is the Rec Light. It blinks when recording but stays illuminated ALL the time (steady red when not recording. Kinda dumb in my opinion. When I press the rec button to turn off the recording, the light should turn off as well. I will post pics tomorrow as I had to use my Note3 sim card lol

Nope he did not hit me I hit the guardrail. If he hit I would have flipped into the canal. I avoided him but blew my tire and destroyed the rim. My car had only 1800 miles on it. Without this video, The insurance company refused the claim saying their client did not even hit you therefore I ACTED in an unsafe manner. Drum roll...........I won lol They saw he was not using his turn signals etc... Tire $300, Rim 450, Tow 150 Video,,,,,,,,PRICELESS!

So far the only things that irks me is the Rec Light. It blinks when recording but stays illuminated ALL the time (steady red when not recording.
This is not really an issue when you know how the led works ;)

Ok Chris answer this riddle then lol What is that yellow triangle that sometimes pops up?

Yellow triangle ??
The only yellow triangle I've seen is into Registrator Viewer for my corrupted files after overheating battery.

Can you take a picture of that yellow triangle ?

20140611_164045_resized.jpg

When I press record and hit the triangle button next to the menu button it pops up. I believe this automatically sends the video clip to a protected file on the SD card?

Back