A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

Best Buy is the biggest rip off ever. After you over pay, than they aggressively push a useless extended warranty and credit card application on you at checkout. The minimum wage floor people that work there don't know much about the products either. It's the last of the big box chains around here. (most have gone out of business)

I NEVER buy memory cards in stores. They are ridiculously over priced. That Amazon deal is very nice, but there is no advantage over regular Class 10's, right?

Class 10 is just a minimum spec. Some are faster than others. Extra Write speed isn't as helpful in the cam if it doesn't need it, but higher spec read speed means you can pull videos off the card faster via SDXC USB 3.0 reader.

Best Buy has the same price on the Samsung cards right now

Yeah, some time that shop should be called "BEST not BUY" :)
Reminds me of this parody logo i saw once...
51pUgAA%2BhHL._SX342_.jpg

you gotta love that product to enjoy shopping at their store... ;)

I used to work at a Best Buy when I was still in high school (almost 20 years ago now), as an in-store PC tech. When you still had to deal with jumpers, understand different memory speeds, etc. This was before Geek Squad existed. We did actual repairs and upgrades, not just "plug it in and turn it on". Just like then, you have some employees who don't care and don't bother to learn the products they're selling, and then you have some who are mildly obsessed. IMHO you see that at any store, whether it's a chain or not.

But yes, everything was overpriced then, just as it is now. Monster cables? LMAO no thanks. monoprice.com for me.

Last edited:
I just have a question regarding recording with this device. Is there a way to automatically overwrite existing files when the memory card is full?

I just have a question regarding recording with this device. Is there a way to automatically overwrite existing files when the memory card is full?

Yes that is a main normal feature on all DashCam products. Loops / Recycles no problems, set and forget

Yes that is a main normal feature on all DashCam products. Loops / Recycles no problems, set and forget
Is this a setting that needs to be turned on? When full, my device only says card is full and doesn't record anymore. THanks again

Is this a setting that needs to be turned on? When full, my device only says card is full and doesn't record anymore. THanks again
Also you will need to periodically format the card as it will lock files due to the shock sensor thinking they pertain to a potential incident - the lock presents potentially important files from being overwritten.

Hi, the Power in my car is alway on, what is the best way to configure the camera so it does not keep recording only when moving. Using the Motion Detect Function?

cheers

Hi, the Power in my car is alway on, what is the best way to configure the camera so it does not keep recording only when moving. Using the Motion Detect Function?

cheers
no, motion detect is not reliable on this camera, plus it's not good for the battery in the camera to have it running 24/7/365. suggest you have your power outlet rewired using a relay to make it shut off when the car is turned off.

Depends how do you define "better". I picked A118 mostly for the form factor - it's blends very nice with the vehicle and not really noticeable from outside or inside. It also has decent picture quality and works with 64Gb memory card so I'm quite happy with my A118.

Yes,B40 comes with super mini Size,but G1W has better price now;
Both items are ok to option if no GPS function need!

@jokiin said in another thread that G1W build quality has gone down now, as with the price. So, A118 is a better choice.

Last edited:
@jokiin said in another thread that G1W build quality has gone down now, as with the price. So, A118 is a better choice.

It's the typical "race to the bottom" low price China formula. A new generic product starts off ok and spirals downward from there.

there are very limited supply options for B40, the G1W variants come from multiple suppliers, the dearest variant of the G1W costs over double what the cheapest versions costs, think about that and work out how they have saved money

Back