A119/A119s Hatch mount

...They aren't done printing at this stage.
Well, that would explain it. :D

Would appreciate it if you would post picture(s) of the finished product.

Shouldn't be - I asked my buddy to use PET.

They aren't done printing at this stage.
Apparently the printer he has access to didn't have PETG so they are PLA. They are done printing though, so I got that going for me, which is nice. _20170110_164309.JPG_20170110_164253.JPG_20170110_164240.JPG

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Would ABS survive the heat during summer time here? The FPV mount I'm using in the rear doesn't seem to be of great quality as it went a little soft on one of the hotter days a few months back, planning to get that scanned and get a sturdy one printed along with the mount in this thread.

Would ABS survive the heat during summer time here?

it should, PLA will go soft, PLA is cheaper which is why you see it being used, a lot of 3D printing is not stuff you actually use so it makes sense for that purpose I guess

should be fine for winter though
In Canada that should be about 10 months of the year - unless you live in that part of Canada that's south of the U.S. :D

In Canada that should be about 10 months of the year - unless you live in that part of Canada that's south of the U.S. :D
Yeah, I'll be able to test with these for a while and make sure they work before seeing if I can get them made with PETG/ABS.

I thought the texture of the plastic was off for pet.

It doesn't take long to print, so they will be good for fitting.

Technically abs is better for withstanding heat over pet by a few c. That being said both can handle temperatures well above 60c. The problem with abs is that it shrinks when you print it, so the dimensions can be off if not accounted for when printing.

I prefer petg for all my printing over abs. Much less toxic to print and easier to print.

I thought the texture of the plastic was off for pet.

It doesn't take long to print, so they will be good for fitting.

Technically abs is better for withstanding heat over pet by a few c. That being said both can handle temperatures well above 60c. The problem with abs is that it shrinks when you print it, so the dimensions can be off if not accounted for when printing.

I prefer petg for all my printing over abs. Much less toxic to print and easier to print.

Good to know, what's a good entry level 3D printer to get these days? (that could print this very part in PETG or ABS) I know things are changing fast every year.

What's the best 3D Printing forum to monitor is a better question maybe. I'll want to start getting into 3D printing at some point.

I know it's easy enough to use a 3rd party pay to print service for now though.

Good to know, what's a good entry level 3D printer to get these days? (that could print this very part in PETG or ABS) I know things are changing fast every year.

What's the best 3D Printing forum to monitor is a better question maybe. I'll want to start getting into 3D printing at some point.

I know it's easy enough to use a 3rd party pay to print service for now though.

Monoprice maker select is a popular low budget printer. I'd check out reddit.com/r/3dprinting for all kinds of info.

Monoprice maker select is a popular low budget printer. I'd check out reddit.com/r/3dprinting for all kinds of info.
Hmmm, I think I just found a(nother) hobby to waste my time on. :rolleyes:

Would you reckon this would fit most cars? I have an estate or wagon Skoda Octavia and wonder how I could check.

I have plans to move my SG9665 to the rear hatch, because I put an A119S up front. My plan was just to mount it to the glass, with an inch or two of wire between the headliner and the device.

Is there any downside to that? Having time to tear it apart and find a place to tie the power in has been my only delay so far. I have the hardwire kit, just havent had time yet.

I have plans to move my SG9665 to the rear hatch, because I put an A119S up front. My plan was just to mount it to the glass, with an inch or two of wire between the headliner and the device.

Is there any downside to that?....
That's how I have mine mounted - actually mounted so it's just far enough down from the headliner so that I can remove it from the mount. The first few times you drive you'll notice it but after that it just blends into the environment and you won't be aware of it unless you think about it - much like you're not aware of the RVM unless you think about it. Biggest problem I had/have is tucking the wires out of the way but that would be the case no matter where it's mounted.

That's how I have mine mounted - actually mounted so it's just far enough down from the headliner so that I can remove it from the mount. The first few times you drive you'll notice it but after that it just blends into the environment and you won't be aware of it unless you think about it - much like you're not aware of the RVM unless you think about it. Biggest problem I had/have is tucking the wires out of the way but that would be the case no matter where it's mounted.

Mounting on my hatch glass would be a no go for me for 2 reasons.

1. My window is set at a high angle, like 65 degrees.
2. In the winter the usb cable gets literally stiff as a board and the opening and closing of my hatch may or may not cause damage to the cord / usb port over time.

Back