A119 Firmware

I notice also another bug which seems related to this "format card warning reminder" bug :

- when this bug occurs then the dashcam will not record the first segment, even if the "rec" button shows the contrary,

to be clear :

- I start the engine : the dahscam will wake up
- immediatly I get the "format warning reminder"
- I click on "cancel" in order to suppress this warning
- then the dashcam seems to start the recording ( all seems ok, "rec" button is light, no beep sound, I can see the rec icon on the LCD screen )

when I check the memory card at home I notice that in reality the first segment is not recorded, the first 3 minutes of my trip is missing :

2016_1203_213001_359.MP4
2016_1203_214511_360.MP4 <------ 14 days ago
2016_1217_143811_362.MP4 <------ today
2016_1217_144111_363.MP4
2016_1217_144411_364.MP4
2016_1217_144712_365.MP4

the missing file is "2016_1217_xxxxxx_361.MP4", you can see that the number "361" is missing, we see numbers : "360" ( 14 days before ), and it jumps directly to 362 instead of 361, I think it's a serious bug,

I use a 128 Gb memory card, maybe 128 Gb cards are not supported by A119 ?

this can explain all these weird bugs ( format card reminder, missing video file when the 128 Gb memory card is almost full )
@viofo will need to give this information to the engineer so they can check it, if the bug can be reproduced then it can be fixed

I use a 128 Gb memory card, maybe 128 Gb cards are not supported by A119 ?

this can explain all these weird bugs ( format card reminder, missing video file when the 128 Gb memory card is almost full )

Do you have a smaller memory card that you can try to confirm if the issue is really with using a 128GB card? Also, I imagine that if you format the 128GB card, you would not get the missing video file issue anymore if it only happens when the card is almost full?

I don't have a smaller memory card,

for now I think the bug seems to occur when the dashcam has not been used for 15 days,

two times I didn't use the dashcam for 15 days --> this format warning reminder occured, it's like an hidden feature in the source code, when the dashcam has not been used for a long time this format warning screen is displayed ( but I am not sure, I have to do another test 15 days later )

Reactions: Mtz
it sounds like maybe the camera is losing your settings after 15 days due to the RTC battery being depleted over that time. if you had input a license number or custom text, do those things get lost too? perhaps the "lost" first file really did get created, but because the time/date were also lost after that 15 days, it would sort differently than the existing files since the date would be much older, and then since it's now the oldest file on the card, it gets erased the moment it tries to create the second file for the trip.

i've not left mine that long without using the car, so i don't know how long the RTC battery should keep the settings... but i'd expect it to last more than just 2 weeks.

it sounds like maybe the camera is losing your settings after 15 days due to the RTC battery being depleted over that time. if you had input a license number or custom text, do those things get lost too? .

the other settings are stored in a read only section of memory and won't get lost, only the clock needs to keep updated

the other settings are stored in a read only section of memory and won't get lost, only the clock needs to keep updated
Ok then maybe my theory of time and date being lost its what's causing the first file to be lost. During that first file, gps gets a lock and sets the correct time and date, but the file doesn't get renamed, but the 2nd file will have the correct time name and thus sort correctly.

Doesn't explain the format warning though, that would only happen if all settings were reset.

Ok then maybe my theory of time and date being lost its what's causing the first file to be lost. During that first file, gps gets a lock and sets the correct time and date, but the file doesn't get renamed, but the 2nd file will have the correct time name and thus sort correctly.

incorrect time and date can affect recycling and cause issues with the order in which files are overwritten

the format warning I'm not sure how they have set that up, would need more detail to know what to look for

it sounds like maybe the camera is losing your settings after 15 days due to the RTC battery being depleted over that time. if you had input a license number or custom text, do those things get lost too?

the license number was here, and the others settings like date/time seems are correct, not lost,

the missing file seems to be a direct effect of the format warning bug, it would be interesting for the viofo developers to check if there is an hidden feature ( the fact that the dashcam was not used for 15 days ), to list what conditions can trigger this format warning screen

the license number was here, and the others settings like date/time seems are correct, not lost,

the missing file seems to be a direct effect of the format warning bug, it would be interesting for the viofo developers to check if there is an hidden feature ( the fact that the dashcam was not used for 15 days ), to list what conditions can trigger this format warning screen
May I know the setting you use, it seems you set the format warning options off, and you still get the format warning prompt after not use for 15 days.
And you use 128GB card?

Thanks for your report.

Is it possible to update the firmware without plugging it into a computer? My A119 is very hard to remove and I want to just update firmware inside the car. I remember that the older A118C only need power to update (I did not need to plug USB into a computer). Thanks.

you need a "power + data" connection to update a firmware (and a loader), this should put a camera into a "mass storage" mode (no recording).
you may borrow a laptop from someone for 5 minutes for this purpose.

Is it possible to update the firmware without plugging it into a computer? My A119 is very hard to remove and I want to just update firmware inside the car. I remember that the older A118C only need power to update (I did not need to plug USB into a computer). Thanks.
Yes, you can. It will just take longer. You'll need to transfer the boot loader file to the memory card. Go to your car and put it the camera to update the boot loader. Then take the card out and bring it back to your computer and remove the boot loader file and transfer the firmware update file to the memory card. Then bring the card back out to the car and put it in the camera and load the firmware. After restart, the camera will delete the firmware file (it won't delete the boot loader, you need to do that manually). Your done. Don't forget to default your settings after the update.

@borik thanks for the laptop idea. That should resolve my issue. @CaptureYourAction Thank you for your detailed instructions.

I am still curious though. Does the A119 need BOTH "Power + Data" because firmware can only be updated if in Mass Storage mode? Or will "Power" ONLY be okay, like the older A118C? There seems to be conflicting information.

I tried "Power" only, and I wasn't sure if the bootloader go updated. It started recording, so I don't think it did.

the camera goes into a "mass storage" mode (no recording start) even after a loader / firmware update only if connected to a computer / laptop (power + data connection). with just a power connection after startup the camera starts recording right after it started. you may say the camera has two modes: recording if the connection is a "power only", and a "mass storage" mode if connected with a "power + data cable" to a laptop / computer, in this case you may access the SD card on a camera just like an external hard drive.
the loader updates fast and you may not notice, but the firmware update takes more time (maybe up to 10sec) and visible "rec" indicator flashes.

When updating the loader the Rec button will flash once, you can see it if looking carefully right from the start.

enjoy,
Mtz

I still have the original FW V.1; and I would like to know:

1- Is there a need to update to V1.1 first before updating to V2? or you can skip it?

Last edited:
Offtopic: Wait for it. Are you on the initial initial firmware? Like the one that camera had when you purchased it?

If so, can you please post a small clip (5-10-15 seconds - sound not important) with the image at the moment and then flash the V2 firmware and post a new video with the same conditions?

I am asking this because i want to see how firmware can improve the image quality (good to know in the future for other cameras).

Ontopic: there's no need to update to 1.1 and then to 2.

Offtopic: Wait for it. Are you on the initial initial firmware? Like the one that camera had when you purchased it?

If so, can you please post a small clip (5-10-15 seconds - sound not important) with the image at the moment and then flash the V2 firmware and post a new video with the same conditions?

I am asking this because i want to see how firmware can improve the image quality (good to know in the future for other cameras).

Sorry, I updated the FW to V.2 before I saw your request.

I don't think there is any improvement in the image quality, just to fix/improve the menu items and Options:

www.viofo.com/download/firmware/A119/VIOFO_A119_FW_V2.0.zip

Change log:

1. Added: New option to enable or disable beep/startup sound

2. Added: Support Image Rotation

3. Added: 100ms option for time-lapse recording

4. Added: Romania and Polish language

5. Added: 3s option for screen save

6. Improved: Improve sensitive for G-sensor

7. Updated: 50Hz for PAL, 60Hz for NTSC

8. Fixed: Recording issue in 1080P 60FPS mode 10mins cycle option with 64GB card

9. Fixed: Can not back to menu after delete all files in playback mode

10. Fixed: No delete and lock icon for photo

Bitrate did increase with the latest firmware. From about 20 to about 24 under 1440p.

@medash: thanks for the info. I was looking into comparing two videos from the same car/position/weather/location.
@CaptureYourAction: that I didn't know :). Did anyone observe other differences?

Back