A119 Firmware

Hi, I've been off this forum for awhile and just now noticed that there's a newer firmware for my A119 V1 (4.0) than what I had before (3.9). I see that there's an option now in the latest firmware to record in TS format instead of MP4 and will change to use TS based on the recommendations from earlier posts in this thread. I understand the drawback of using TS is that there's currently no known software (or it's very hard to find) to use the GPS data on the TS files (I have the V1 GPS mount). So a program like Dashcam Viewer would not be able to use the GPS data from the TS files to show the route being driven on a map.

I just want to confirm if this GPS limitation with the TS format also means that the GPS coordinates would not be visible anymore when playing back the TS files on a program like VLC. I know with my MP4 files recorded on the A119, I could see the GPS coordinates, along with other information like speed and timestamp, burned into the video when playing back the files using VLC. Does using TS mean that I won't be able to see the GPS coordinates and speed when playing back files? What about the timestamp? I know I can test this all out later, but want to know what to expect.

Also, since I've been having power connection problems with the GPS mount recently (well known problem with V1 models), I'm wondering if there's any point to feeding power thru the GPS mount anymore if I'm going to be recording using the TS format (as opposed to feeding power directly to the dashcam to avoid the power connection problem). If I can still get GPS coordinates to be visible when playing back the video, then I'll continue to try to feed power to the GPS mount and use the zip tie/foam workarounds to have a better connection.
To answer your original question, yes you will still see the timestamp, coordinates and speed in the video while playing in VLC or other video players. That data is "burned"into the video so any viewer can see it.

To answer your original question, yes you will still see the timestamp, coordinates and speed in the video while playing in VLC or other video players. That data is "burned"into the video so any viewer can see it.

Thanks for confirming. I also confirmed the same after I got a chance to upgrade the firmware and test. So for me, it's still worth it to use the GPS mount if the GPS data can at least be seen in the video.

I wonder why was TS file support only added recently (last year) in the firmware. I think most dashcams don't have TS support. I can understand that more consumer focused dashcams sold in retail stores would only support MP4 to keep things simple for the average consumer who is familiar with MP4 but not TS. But why wouldn't Viofo have added TS support in the original or earlier firmware if it's very beneficial? Was there some technical difficulty that was only recently overcome?

I'm still unsure what benefit TS has

So... is the 119v2 v4.01 firmware is the last one available? They've decided to go for v3 rather than for a firmware update?

In 2016 in New York I bought Dash Camera A119V2, the original Firmware was A119_171115_V3.4 and I have never had any problems with it.
2560x1440P 30fps HD recording and playback quality was always amazing.
Recently in November 2020 I have uploaded the new Firmware to A119_180913_V4.01 but have not noticed any changes in image quality.
Perhaps new Firmware update refers to some other parameters.
Victor

Perhaps.

I bought my A119 (V1) in early 2017 and the only problem I had was the loose contacts between it and the GPS unit. I fixed that by plugging the power directly into the A119.

I also tried recording at 1440 and found it to be sharpened to the extreme. Very harsh-looking, so I only record at 1080 nowadays. I think that 1080 is more than enough for a dashcam with all the dashcam's limitations.

Hello, Skeezix!
Very carefully I compared HD recording quality at 1080 60 pfs and 1440 30 pfs on my camera
I found the quality to be equally good and practically the same.
Objects at angular speed are a little better at 1080 x 60 pfs, but in all other cases 1440 is slightly better.
Did you update your Firmware? I just did. Tomorrow I will clarify if the quality has improved.
I wish you success with your camera.
Victor.

Last update was in January 2019 with version 4.04.

Suggested A119 Menu Settings

Suggested A119 Menue Settings:
Resolution = 2560x1440P 30fps
Bitrate = High <== decide what looks best. Select High for best detail
Loop Recording = 2 min <== select 2 min Loop for reduced MP4 file size
Video Format = MP4 <== select TS for crash surviveability or if supercapacitors failed
EV (Exposure) = 0
WDR = Off <== enable for brighter grainy night video
Sharpness = Soft/Norm/Sharp <== decide what looks best with your Lens
Parking Mode = Off <== if wanted select 5fps Time Lapse
Time-Lapse Recording = Off <== never use when Parking Mode is enabled
Motion Detection = Off <== never use when Parking Mode is enabled or driving
GPS = On
Speed Unit = Mph
G-Sensor = Low
LDWS = Off <== it forces 1080p resolution
FCWS = Off <== it forces 1080p resolution
Date Stamp = On
GPS Info Stamp = none
Camera Model Stamp = On
Record Audio = On
Boot Delay = 5 sec <== set 10 sec for diesel or electric vehicles
LED = On
Date/Time = mm/dd/yy
Time Zone = -4 or (-3/w dst) <== match your region
Language = English
Beep Sound = On
Frequency = 60 Hz <== match your region 50 Hz for Europe
Image Rotation = Off
Format <== always Format new memory cards twice then every 2 months
Format Warning = Off
Default Setting <== always Reset to Default after updates
Car Number = XXX
Custom Text Stamp = XXX

Last update was in January 2019 with version 4.04.
Hi again, Skeezix!
Today I have compared the recording quality with old and the new Firmare.
The HD 2560x1440P 30fps quality hasn't changed at all and remains very good.
I am pleased with my A119V2 dash camera and especially with the 160 degree field of view, which makes the A119 unique.
Victor

Victor,
After reading your last reply I checked the files that I recorded in 2017. Turned out that the 1440 x 30 fps were very crisp and clear. It was the 1280 x 720 x 120 fps files that were very contrasty. Sorry, my bad!
I haven't run the tests since then, but tomorrow I'll record again with the updated firmware to see if the 120 fps files are still over-sharpened or contrasty (or both!).

Hello,Skeezix,
I would suggest using the fastest SDXC card formatted in your camera.
Good luck!

Hi,
For the A119 v2, cannot find any newer 4.01. What would be the right site to look in?
Search here.

Back