United States
I'll post sample clips in this thread and other info

All videos: Have WDR on

video 1: 2560x1440 30fps, bitrate 20.1mbps, time: evening

video 2: 2560x1440 30fps, bitrate 20.1mbps, time: night

video 3: 2560x1440 30fps, bitrate 20.1mbps, time: afternoon

video 4: 1920x1080 30fps, bitrate 14.7mbps, time: morning

video 5: 1920x1080 60fps, bitrate 20.1mbps, time: afternoon

So far, I think 1440p is my preferred resoltion. I wouldn't recommend 1080 30fps.

If you have any suggestion on how I can improve my video quality (like with other settings or the positioning of the camera), let me know!

It looks to me like you need to rotate the camera down a little in order to get a sharper picture to the left and right close to the car.

It looks to me like you need to rotate the camera down a little in order to get a sharper picture to the left and right close to the car.

Thanks. You mean adjust the lens right? Or move the camera down?

48UsEzil.jpg

This is how it's placed, haven't routed it yet.

You're brave sticking it on those dots. I really wanted to do this as well (so much extra space), but didn't want to risk stripping/damaging them when I remove the mount someday (had to use a razor blade to remove the glue from the previous mount).

I would aim it lower so that the "Vanishing Point" is slightly above the center. Something like 60% road, and 40% sky; perfectly centered left & right; and perfectly horizontal (compensating for the lean on a typical road).

Reason 1: Improve brightness: The road on your daytime videos looks are bit dark, because there is too much bright sky and your camera is auto adjusting the overall exposure to compensate. Similar to taking a picture of your friend against a bright background. Your friend will appear dark.

Reason 2: Improve sharpness: The focus sweet spot is in the center. You can see that in your video, adjacent cars are entering into frame from the bottom corners. This is more blurry because of the sharp angle, the thickness of the windshield, and the lens' ability to focus at the edges.

Last edited:
You're brave sticking it on those dots. I really wanted to do this as well (so much extra space), but didn't want to risk stripping/damaging them when I remove the mount someday (had to use a razor blade to remove the glue from the previous mount).

That's a good point. So your current one is below the dots?

I had my A118, then A118C stuck to the doted area behind the rearview mirror for years. I had not problem removing when I upgraded my dashcam. Simply sawed off the 3M adhesive using the string provided. No damage to the windshield at all.

I use Windex and a new razor blade to clean the dotted area before sticking anything up there. The only way you're taking those dots off is with a power grinder or something. You do have to press harder and hold it longer when sticking to the glass so that the adhesive deforms around them and makes contact with the glass as well.

I do the same when installing window tint on fixed side windows (ones that don't roll down) so the tint will actually stick to the dots.

Note that this only applies to dots. If you try using a razor on defroster lines or antennas, you will remove and destroy them.

I would aim it lower so that the "Vanishing Point" is slightly above the center. Something like 60% road, and 40% sky; perfectly centered left & right; and perfectly horizontal (compensating for the lean on a typical road).

Reason 1: Improve brightness: The road on your daytime videos looks are bit dark, because there is too much bright sky and your camera is auto adjusting the overall exposure to compensate. Similar to taking a picture of your friend against a bright background. Your friend will appear dark.

Reason 2: Improve sharpness: The focus sweet spot is in the center. You can see that in your video, adjacent cars are entering into frame from the bottom corners. This is more blurry because of the sharp angle, the thickness of the windshield, and the lens' ability to focus at the edges.

fz3ZRWu.jpg

Thanks. I tried this but does it now seem to be too much in the other direction?

That looks great/perfect, in my opinion. You are not really disadvantaged by capturing more dash. You are simply exchanging less sky for more dash. The important details (road & cars) are the same.

I have a question about the dots. My car has those too. What's the risk in sticking the dashcam directly on top like any other windshield? Will they cause the adhesive to not stick as good? Do they come off easily? Thanks.

I have a question about the dots. My car has those too. What's the risk in sticking the dashcam directly on top like any other windshield? Will they cause the adhesive to not stick as good? Do they come off easily? Thanks.
It's fine. Just make sure to clean the area well. Use alcohol.

Back