A119 Problem with GPS

Aashish Pangam

Reaction score
Country
United States
Using this camera since 3 weeks and have no issues with picture quality or any other feature except GPS. The GPS unit doesn't lock at all through the trip (continues to show speed as zero in red) and if it does it keeps losing the lock very frequently. This has been an issue since day 1 (about 3 weeks). I tried under various temperature ranges (day time 80 F till 63 at night). Tried cleaning the contacts, updated the firmware to the latest - does this indicate a faulty GPS receiver unit.

I am planning to return it if I am not able to get through this issue.

Where is it mounted? Anything blocking the mount like sun shade, extra tint etc?

You can test it by just setting it on top of the car under open sky and see if the issue goes away.
Also make sure it locks on the mount properly.
Faulty GPS or camera, no way to tell unless you have another set to test with.
Personally, I don't care for GPS as everyone usually drives over the speed limit here and it may cause more harm in case something happens.

Last edited:
Sounds like either the connection is bad (try cleaning the four connection pads and pins) or the GPS module is faulty. Mine locks almost instantly even inside.

Where is it mounted? Anything blocking the mount like sun shade, extra tint etc?

You can test it by just setting it on top of the car under open sky and see if the issue goes away.
Also make sure it locks on the mount properly.
Faulty GPS or camera, no way to tell unless you have another set to test with.
Personally, I don't care for GPS as everyone usually drives over the speed limit here and it may cause more harm in case something happens.

Mine is placed at the near centre of the screen. No obstruction to the open sky but the glass itself.

I agree with you on the speed but the location information might come helpful.

Sounds like either the connection is bad (try cleaning the four connection pads and pins) or the GPS module is faulty. Mine locks almost instantly even inside.
Thanks for the info. Will try cleaning the contacts again and try.

For testing, you can power on the camera via power bank, and walk around with the camera in open area to check the GPS signal.
If there is issue with GPS, please ask for a GPS module replacement.

For testing, you can power on the camera via power bank, and walk around with the camera in open area to check the GPS signal.
If there is issue with GPS, please ask for a GPS module replacement.
Looks like an issue with the GPS module itself. The GPS locked (showed speed in green) only for a short time initially and then never locked, open to sky. Will check for replacement of the GPS module and update this thread

is the camera/gps mounted close to any other electronics in the windshield such as a rain sensor, forward collision avoidance system, factory GPS, radio antennas, anything like that? what kind of car is it?

is the camera/gps mounted close to any other electronics in the windshield such as a rain sensor, forward collision avoidance system, factory GPS, radio antennas, anything like that? what kind of car is it?
As advised, I experimented out of my vehicle in hand powered by a power bank.

My seller is Spy Tec International, Inc. , mailed them but haven't heard back for the GPS module replacement. Planning to return the dash cam :(

My seller is Spy Tec International, Inc. , mailed them but haven't heard back for the GPS module replacement. Planning to return the dash cam :(
@spytec is here on the forum, perhaps they can help.

And if for some reason they don't (they're usually pretty good), @viofo can probably help too.

@spytec Hi, Please refer to the above thread. My GPS module seems to have a problem and is not locking consistently. I have reported this issue to you over email and requested for a replacement module. Haven't yet heard back from you :(

@spytec Hi, Please refer to the above thread. My GPS module seems to have a problem and is not locking consistently. I have reported this issue to you over email and requested for a replacement module. Haven't yet heard back from you :(

coming up 10pm in New York so probably tomorrow at best before you'll hear back from them, they're generally pretty good at follow up but give them a chance to get to you

If you didn't get from them, we'd like to offer one to you.
I saw someone reviewed they didn't get the GPS module and contacted Spytec, then got the GPS module soon, so I believe they will help you.

Hi .. thanks .. I have got a response from Spytec, they have asked me to fill in the RMA and send the module back. will keep this thread updated.

Hi guys, just got my Viofo a119 dashcam.. the videos are amazing. only problem is.. i tried to view the video with dashcam viewer . only problem there is that the map isnt moving. I have the speed and coordinates on the video, but it looks like theres a problem with the gps logger. i cant back track using the map. and it shows that i am idle. anyone know how to fix this?

** additonal note: my time offset on Preferences> general> time offset.. it shows -184045 hours. and it is on auto offset.

Last edited:
Hi guys, just got my Viofo a119 dashcam.. the videos are amazing. only problem is.. i tried to view the video with dashcam viewer . only problem there is that the map isnt moving. I have the speed and coordinates on the video, but it looks like theres a problem with the gps logger. i cant back track using the map. and it shows that i am idle. anyone know how to fix this?

** additonal note: my time offset on Preferences> general> time offset.. it shows -184045 hours. and it is on auto offset.
Dash Cam Viewer isn't working with the A119 GPS info yet.

but it says on the website that its compatible with the a119. any guesses when dashcam viewer might?

Back