A119 USB power adapter

DrekiTech

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A129
I'm having issues with the camera + GPS mount on cold starts (it especially seems to be an issue in freezing weather) where the camera screen will flicker like it's not getting enough power. After a few minutes it stabilizes. Recording seems unaffected. I swapped out the included power adapter with a 3rd party one I had lying around and everything is solved - no more flicker.

I'm still waiting on a USB current meter from China that I ordered back in November (Canada Customs processing has been extremely slow the last several months) so I can actually give proper numbers on how much power the camera is trying to draw. But in the meantime, thoughts? Anyone who also had similar issues actually measured it yet?

I'm having issues with the camera + GPS mount on cold starts (it especially seems to be an issue in freezing weather) where the camera screen will flicker like it's not getting enough power. After a few minutes it stabilizes. Recording seems unaffected. I swapped out the included power adapter with a 3rd party one I had lying around and everything is solved - no more flicker.

I'm still waiting on a USB current meter from China that I ordered back in November (Canada Customs processing has been extremely slow the last several months) so I can actually give proper numbers on how much power the camera is trying to draw. But in the meantime, thoughts? Anyone who also had similar issues actually measured it yet?

Check this link and other posts in that thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...th-lcd-power-related.25614/page-2#post-301272. I measured voltage at the USB A input to the Viofo short cable (as close to the A119 input that I could get) at about 4.85 VDC or below when flickering started due to low power. A bit lower (no good measurement) and the A119 starts to regularly cycle power on and off. Flickering is typically a sign that the voltage at the A119 input is too low. Line losses, poor connections, and/or an under-performing 12 to 5 VDC cig adapter can be critical. Line losses seem to be the usual culprit. I found the menu choice "Resolution" to have a significant effect on the A119 current draw. You might try using a 72oP resolution temporarily to see if the flickering improves. If so it might help verify that the problem is low power. I have used the Viofo supplied cig adapter plug and their supplied long cable for 4 months with no significant problems. There are numerous other posts about low power and flicker problems other folks have encountered. Try the search routine at the top of the page.

Back