Flickering issues with lcd - power related?

Anyone know the power requirements of this A119 cam? I have a usb volt/amp meter I am gonna hook up and see what its pulling.
Made some indoor measurements yesterday 11/21/2016 on my A119 with no GPS connected. A little late but here are the details:
- Measurement: A119 average current over a 1 to 1.67 hour period (actually Amp hours divided by hours), and voltage.
- Power source and cable: Zendure A2 +5Vdc power bank and supplied A119 short cable.
- Measurement device: Keweisi Model KWS-V20 inline USB Volt/Amp meter at the power source.
- A119 Mode: Record.
- Measurement 1 - LCD screen OFF: Amps 0.416 A averaged over 1 hour period, Voltage 5.13 Vdc.
- Measurement 2 - LCD screen ON: Amps 0.459 A averaged over 1 hour 40 minute period, Voltage 5.13 Vdc.
- Power consumption calculates to be 2.13 Watts LCD off and 2.35 Watts LCD on.

Able to read to 3 decimal places but doubt accuracy is that good. A month ago, measured about 0.08 Amp less with same power source and voltage (5.13 Vdc); with GPS, don't recall mode or cable, and eyeballed average from instantaneous current. Lots of variables so even a good measurement is ball park.

Regards,

Last edited:
I've had this issue but I'm almost positive it has to do with my GPS mount. My mount is pretty loose so when I push on the camera to make better contact with the mount the flickering stops.

Appear to have SOLVED issues. I pulled the usb extension cable and the regular usb cable connected to it that I had already run along the trim last year...the extension cable is 26/28AWG and the usb mini is not labeled, but very thin.

I noticed the 15ft usb mini cable that came with the A119 says its 22AWG. Installed that cable in my car, (long enough not to use extension cable) and the flickering has stopped. Still using the usb to cig plug that came with cam.

I checked the other cables i had, none are 22AWG.

Interesting.

Appear to have SOLVED issues. I pulled the usb extension cable and the regular usb cable connected to it that I had already run along the trim last year...the extension cable is 26/28AWG and the usb mini is not labeled, but very thin.

I noticed the 15ft usb mini cable that came with the A119 says its 22AWG. Installed that cable in my car, (long enough not to use extension cable) and the flickering has stopped. Still using the usb to cig plug that came with cam.

I checked the other cables i had, none are 22AWG.

Interesting.
Yes it is interesting. I think you nailed it. Viofo has chosen their cables wisely. I too am using the supplied long cable and USB cig socket adapter and have had no significant problems. I don't use the display much in the car and I use a good power bank indoors that puts out 5.13 volts with amps to spare, so I have not noticed flicker or power recycling problems.

Well, a day late and a dollar short, did some testing today to see if I could reproduce indoors the symptoms you reported (before I saw your post). I did. I saw both the flickering and the power recycling problems you mentioned using a kludged together setup with an old but electrically quite Heathkit power supply. Was trying to measure the threshold voltage for proper operation but didn't quite have the right setup. Only able to determine that flickering occured at or below about 4.85 Vdc (and this was measured at the input to the A119 short cable with an inline USB Volt/Amp meter and a second, regular voltmeter attached). Power recycling started below that, but I was not able to get a number. Anyway, those measurements should be made where it really counts - at the A119 power input (need a mini USB thru-line breakout card, if it exists).

Last edited:
i hope you nailed it . mine does same thing can you tell us where did u get different cable ? im using the hard wiring kit and it may be bad SPY TEC replaced the camera i had to send it back and pay shipping - it took them 5 weeks to get me replacment which is joke - BAD customer service im so frustrated with it i want to slam it against the floor but i hope your solution really works. i just received new camera and it does flicker and shuts it self off i have A119S BTW

i hope you nailed it . mine does same thing can you tell us where did u get different cable ? im using the hard wiring kit and it may be bad SPY TEC replaced the camera i had to send it back and pay shipping - it took them 5 weeks to get me replacment which is joke - BAD customer service im so frustrated with it i want to slam it against the floor but i hope your solution really works. i just received new camera and it does flicker and shuts it self off i have A119S BTW

As i stated in my post, using the included usb cable and usb dual port power adapter fixed my flickering issues. I was using before a thinner cable with an extension cable for my old cam....which caused issues for my A119. Also, all the other cables i had were thinner AWG than the one that came with unit. I am not using the gps mount though...

Does the cam u have have the flickering issues when u use it on the power source inside? U can also try powering it from a portable power pack. I tested the cable and cig usb power adapter in the cig plug in my battery booster pack i keep in my trunk. If it doesn't do it using the same cable and power adapter when its connected to something other then your vehicle....may be an issue with your vehicle's power port output...like worn battery and/alternator...or weak/dirty ground connection....that the cam does not like for some reason.

As far as your headache with SpyTech directly.....i bought mine via Amazon...super easy to return/exchange through Amazon vs any manufacture.

Last edited:

That's not how OCT Tronic would handle customer service and support, that's for sure.

Amazon is only good with returns within 30 days. Sellers are responsible for proper warranty service for 1 year. Waiting weeks is unacceptable. What if you get in an accident and didn't have your dashcam recording since it was gone for so long?

Most A119/A119S issues are from the GPS mount connection system which is being redesigned in the future. (no ETA) Try plugging power directly into the side of the camera rather than into the GPS mount. GPS will still function and the system will be stable.

Last edited:
That's not how OCT Tronic would handle customer service and support, that's for sure.

Amazon is only good with returns within 30 days. Sellers are responsible for proper warranty service for 1 year. Waiting weeks is unacceptable. What if you get in an accident and didn't have your dashcam recording since it was gone for so long?

Most A119/A119S issues are from the GPS mount connection system which is being redesigned in the future. (no ETA) Try plugging power directly into the side of the camera rather than into the GPS mount. GPS will still function and the system will be stable.

i just tried that and so far so good, it is working i'll post the update in a few days i don't really care about GPS anyway

My 119 with the flickering display was cured by running the power in to the camera. The GPS still works.

After a few weeks without problems I now see the same problems when powered via the GPS module. (From no flickering, to flickering, to rebooting every few minutes)

Switched to powering via the camera itself appeared to work, but now somehow the camera completely locks up with the sd card inserted. Reformatting the whole card on a pc to see if this fixes the problem.

GPS Power corruption could have corrupted the card as well. I'd reformat for sure. You might even want to use the official SD Formatter app and then also check the card with h2wtest.exe avoid sandisk Red/grey cards. Also, keep powering directly to the side of the camera into the future.

FYI: The new A119S V2 is now available on Amazon. (New & Improved metal GPS connection contacts plus EVA compression foam)

VIOFO A119 with gps logger (about 6 months old) I am using the provided cable with the gps mount and having the same issues. The camera keeps losing power when connected to the gps mount. Camera worked great, no issues for several months. Appears the removing and reinserting of the camera causes wear in the connection. Heard there is a revision being made to address this common issue.

The new A119S V2 is now available on Amazon

Not to Australia with Amazon............. For my first dashcam could you help me buy one somehow with reasonable postage ?

Not to Australia with Amazon............. For my first dashcam could you help me buy one somehow with reasonable postage ?

Amazon.com FBA only ships electronics to North America. I can ship one to MyUS.com redirect service which will then ship to Australia if you want one. It will be around $30 USD though. I'm in Hong Kong until the end of the month so can't ship any direct for awhile.

I can ship one to MyUS.com redirect service which will then ship to Australia if you want one. It will be around $30 USD though. I'm in Hong Kong until the end of the month so can't ship any direct for awhile.

Sweeeet, 30 biscuits is fine............. While your busy in HK, could you get someone else to organize my purchase quicker ?

Sweeeet, 30 biscuits is fine............. While your busy in HK, could you get someone else to organize my purchase quicker ?

I'll send a private message now to make arrangements and send a custom invoice for you.

Back