A119 V2 Issue

kevster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a A119 V2 with an issue. It's a SpyTec branded model

It was working fine, went to check it today and it has frozen. Has run perfect for a few weeks.

This is what happens,
- turn on, boots up on SpyTec screen, and goes to the camera view (normal view)
- shows minutes left on SD card at top right as normal but then freezes after 2 seconds and doesnt revert to record time
- time (clock) starts ok and freezes after the same time
- camera view remains live - not frozen
- rec button remains lit red
- screen stays lit
- shows 13 vertical boxes with an X in them (look a bit like an envolope) starting at the bottom left of the screen towards the right

When power is disconnected the screen and illumination dims slowly, doesn't turn off like normal

I have tried Reset which doesn't help

Swapped SD cards with an identical camera

Formatted the card

The last two recordings that were on the card wouldn't open

The last recording that was playable was when the car was started and moved quickly and car stopped. Maybe camera not fully booted up...? Poor if just this has damaged it.

Any ideas please?

You can transfer the firmware over to the camera via your computers USB (in Mass Storage Mode), but don't use the computers USB port to perform the actual update. Use a USB wall charger (phone charger) or your cars car adapter.

You can transfer the firmware over to the camera via your computers USB (in Mass Storage Mode), but don't use the computers USB port to perform the actual update. Use a USB wall charger (phone charger) or your cars car adapter.

So the SD card doesn't even have to be in the camera to place the .bin file on the SD card

Instructions could be better in that case

Will a 64GB card work. That's what I use with the camera?

You can use a card reader to put the .bin file on the card if you want (best way I think). Then put it in the camera and start it up like normal. It will update and delete the file automatically. Just be sure to manually default the cameras settings in the menu after the update.

The card has to be in the camera if you use Mass Storage Mode though.

64GB card ok? It's says max 32

Update to V3.3. That should fix it. Be sure to default the cameras settings manually after the update.

http://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000019600-viofo-a119-car-dash-camera-firmware

Well I had ago with the firmware with the 64GB card, it rebooted OK now with Viofo not Spytc logo. Set to defauls, it rebooted again. Fingers crossed that's it!
Reformatted the card just to make sure and back up and running again.

Thanks vey much for your help!

The exact same thing happened to mine about a week ago (Bought from Amazon about 3 weeks ago).

Live video stays on, buttons are inoperable, time not advancing, boxes with X's in them at the bottom. I already had 3.3 installed on it.

Tried reset, reformatting the SD card, different SD card; same problem.

As a last resort, I re-flashed 3.3 on it and that brought it back to life; no issues since.

The only thing I can think of is that it was pretty hot (106F) the previous day and I had left the car out in the sun for about an hour.

I hope the flash memory in the unit isn't heat sensitive. It's been cooler since I re-flashed it, so only time will tell.

I hope the flash memory in the unit isn't heat sensitive. It's been cooler since I re-flashed it, so only time will tell.

Trouble is you can't avoid leaving a car in the sun just because of a dashcam. One day they will be built in and nothing to worry about!

I had this same issue (Spytec and everything) on 2.x FW. I flashed 3.3 as well and that brought the camera back to life...for a couple days. I'm having the same issues as above however, now the screen completely freezes (even the image). I did not know about resetting all camera settings so I didn't do that. However, they all seemed to be at the default after the flash. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

reload the firmware and reset defaults afterwards

what card are you using?

what power supply are you using in the car?

I've got a SanDisk Ultra SD XC Class 10. I've also got a hardwire power kit from Amazon. I believe it's the Spy Tech kit. How can I wipe settings on the camera when none of the buttons work? Thanks!

I've got a SanDisk Ultra SD XC Class 10. I've also got a hardwire power kit from Amazon. I believe it's the Spy Tech kit. How can I wipe settings on the camera when none of the buttons work? Thanks!

Try starting the camera without the memory card. SanDisk Ultra cards are not a good choice for use in dash cameras.

Reactions: gse
Try starting the camera without the memory card. SanDisk Ultra cards are not a good choice for use in dash cameras.

I'll try that. However, last time I did (on 2.x FW) the camera just had a memory card message I couldn't get rid of.

I'll try that. However, last time I did (on 2.x FW) the camera just had a memory card message I couldn't get rid of.
You can usually just press the menu button to stop the memory message.

You can usually just press the menu button to stop the memory message.

I took out the card, booted the camera and was able to get into the menu. I reset to defaults and I popped the card back in and the camera rebooted. Same thing. Black boxes at the bottom of the screen and none of the buttons are responsive.

I took out the card, booted the camera and was able to get into the menu. I reset to defaults and I popped the card back in and the camera rebooted. Same thing. Black boxes at the bottom of the screen and none of the buttons are responsive.
Once you get the XXXXX's, you need to reload the firmware. Manually default the settings in the menu immediately after loading the firmware. Defaulting the Settings after the XXXXX's appears won't do anything.

Back