A119 won't record (format disk stays up)

yousayahhyes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bought the A119 back in November, worked fine with no issues until 2 weeks ago (use transcend 32gb class 10 SD card) When powered on it shows the format disk alert. I format the disk on the camera and it won't record. Tells me to format disk every time I power it on. Tried all the firmware updates (camera already has latest firmware dated Oct 16. I tried plugging the camera into USB port on PC and the folder for the SD card will not even register (tried several cards with same result) on multiple computers. If I put card in adapter and plug in manually to PC it shows up. Anyone else have this issue? Do I need a new camera? Shouldn't be happening on a 4 month old camera.
Thanks.

have you tried to power up the camera from a wall / phone charger?

The latest firmware is V2.02 from February.

Does the camera go into Mass Storage Mode when you connect it to your computer?

camera does go into mass storage mode but the SD card folder will not show up on the PC. It will when I use the adapter but not in the camera. I tried downloading the new firmware but can't get it on the SD card while plugged into the camera. I tried putting it on the card with the adapter but when I put the chip into the camera and plug into charger it does nothing but tell me to format disk. I followed all the directions to a T when trying the firmware install.

what SD cards have you tried?

transcend 32gb class 10 SD card and sandisk 32gb

Have you tried defaulting your settings in the menu?

interesting.
you might have something in SD card slot in a camera.:eek:

Have you tried defaulting your settings in the menu?
I didn't default the settings after updating the firmware to v.2.02 (just forgot), and have no problem with the video. but I checked and changed some settings after the update.

I cant get the update to take, I manually put the firmware on the sd card with the adapter in the PC. When I put the card back into the camera and plug into charger (wall) nothing happens with a download, it just turns on says to format disk. It's like the camera will not recognize the card.

My computer will recognize the devise is plugged in and camera shows mass storage mode but no f0lder shows up my computer window or devices window. I tried resetting default settings and nothing. When I turn the camera on the little icon on the screen shows the card is in the camera but it just tells me to format the disk and then nothing. I cannot get the firmware file to download. This is getting extremely frustrating.

when I updated the firmware last time I noticed that the camera starts blinking fast for a couple of seconds, then it blinks 4 times slow, then it blinks fast again, then it blinks twice slow... don't remember the rest, but after the update it reboots and starts recording. I used 64gb Samsung Evo card with some mp3's on it and FAT32 file system.
what file system do you have on a card before you put it into a camera?

I put the firmware manually on the sd card with the adapter but when I put the card in the camera, it does nothing. Something is wrong with the card drive on the camera. It shows there is a card in the camera but it will not do anything. Again, this was working just fine up until about a week or so ago.

I put the firmware manually on the sd card with the adapter
this is a normal procedure.
well, sometimes to re-apply the firmware helps.
but you have to have a FAT32 file system on a card, or the camera will suggest to format it first and you loose the firmware file you just copied onto it.

How do I format to FAT32? The card worked fine for four months then all of a sudden this.

Ok both chips are in the proper FAT32 format and nothing. I have concluded that the camera has a problem with the sd card slot or something that is preventing it from downloading or recognizing any files on the card. Sending it back tomorrow.

good luck with the return!

Back