A119S 64gb card from VIOFO

spotnz

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
This is the factory supplied card that arrived with my A119S
upload_2017-11-30_20-35-46.png

It's nowhere as polished as the one I received from Amazon. BUT it works well.
With this
upload_2017-11-30_20-36-47.png
from one of the MP4's it's created

So basically they are using an SD HC (high capacity) Class 10 and it does the job.
An SD XC (extended capacity) is over the top and not necessary.
I'm wondering if it uses exFat.
I haven't seen 32Fat on a 64GB card.

Last edited:
So basically they are using an SD HC (high capacity) Class 10 and it does the job.
An SD XC (extended capacity) is over the top and not necessary.
I'm wondering if it uses exFat.
I haven't seen 32Fat on a 64GB card.
If it was formatted as exFat then it would be an XC card, HC means that it is formatted as Fat32, as required by many dashcams.

Class 10 guarantees that it is fast enough for any current dashcam.

64GB SD cards are supposed to be formatted as exfat according to the SD specifications so maybe it doesn't actually qualify as a microSD card and shouldn't have the micro SD logo!

I use a couple of Micro SD HC 32GB cards because they have the Fat32.
I understand you must have Fat32 if you need to upgrade Firmware.

I've been a member here for quite some time but this is my first post.

I just purchased an A119S for my wife's car after I broke (dropped) her first camera. I also purchased a 64 Gig Transcend card for the unit. I formatted the card in the camera just to make sure it worked. Then I went online to update the firmware but one set of directions said to use a 32 Gig card for the download. Can I use the 64 Gig card for the firmware update or do I need to purchase another card? I have other smaller cards but they're all SanDisk which, from what I read, are not recommended.

Thanks for any help or hints.

Rich

Can I use the 64 Gig card for the firmware update or do I need to purchase another card?
Yes, I have done so with a Transcend 64GByte High Endurance. Best practice is to format the card in the camera using the "Format" command menu selection. It will format to Fat32.

5Cowbells,

WOW! That was so quick I didn't even have time to finish my beer.

Thanks much.

Rich

Yes, I have done so with a Transcend 64GByte High Endurance. Best practice is to format the card in the camera using the "Format" command menu selection. It will format to Fat32.
Here is the Firmware directions from Viofo Ltd web site.

How to update:

Please do the following to upgrade the dash cam
The firmware will be automatically deleted from Micro SD card after upgrade completed.

1 Use max. 32GB card formatted by camera or on computer as FAT32

2 Insert card in camera and connect it to computer using USB cable

3 Copy the FWA119S.bin on the root of the card

4 After FWA119S.bin is copied to the card disconnect the camera from computer

5 Reconnect the camera to your computer and wait few seconds until the camera restart.

The front red LED will be blinking while upgrading.

Why does their instructions specify "maximum 32GB" deviate from your advise?

In short,you can use this Guiformat tool to format 64Gb card as FAT32 format by windows computer!

Why does their instructions specify "maximum 32GB" deviate from your advise?
Not sure, being conservative I guess, and Viofo is reluctant to change what works. They also used to advise using a maximum card size of 32 GBytes. Also, could be a potential confusion factor in that I think 32GByte cards come formatted in what the camera wants to see - FAT32, while 64 GByte cards and beyond come formatted exFat. But it is known from folks in this forum that the A119 works OK with some 64 GByte and even some 128 GByte cards, once formatted to FAT32.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.
When it comes to manufacterer instructions I'm not a risk taker.
I go with the flow in case I void my warranty or mess up a good unit.

Not sure, being conservative I guess, and Viofo is reluctant to change what works. They also used to advise using a maximum card size of 32 GBytes. Also, could be a potential confusion factor in that I think 32GByte cards come formatted in what the camera wants to see - FAT32, while 64 GByte cards and beyond come formatted exFat. But it is known from folks in this forum that the A119 works OK with some 64 GByte and even some 128 GByte cards, once formatted to FAT32.

YET, they also sell ( Official supplier ) them with a 64GB card.

My 119S is currently working purrfectly using the 128GB card from amazon. AFTER I formatted it in the camera.

They can't change the advise because some cameras have old firmware for which the instructions are correct.

The simple rules are:
  • For a firmware update, the card must be formatted as FAT32.
  • For normal use, it should always be best to format the card in the camera, which will normally give you some form of FAT32 format.
  • Only if that doesn't work satisfactorily, then use Guiformat to format the card as FAT32, which will likely give a non-optimal FAT32 format.
  • Most currently available cameras are happy with card sizes up to 128GByte, if they have current firmware installed.

Back