A129 3-wire kit

I would have to take the car to the installer twice . But maybe that is unavoidable. Also I am yet to get the GPS mount as the seller had sent me the non GPS module by mistake.

I would have to take the car to the installer twice . But maybe that is unavoidable. Also I am yet to get the GPS mount as the seller had sent me the non GPS module by mistake.

Installer? It's quite easy to install the cameras and routing the back cable is not that hard either..
If it really is to much for you, I would at least mount the font camera.. you should have no problem getting the cable from the camera to the cigarrette plug in..

Installer? It's quite easy to install the cameras and routing the back cable is not that hard either..
If it really is to much for you, I would at least mount the font camera.. you should have no problem getting the cable from the camera to the cigarrette plug in..
Maybe I can install the front one by myself after I get the GPS mount. Thanks for your encouragement.

So it's now the middle of October. Any news on this? I'd like to wrap up my installation at some point....

-Sam

This is the reply I got from them yesterday. Looks like they are sending out this stock reply for quite some time now.

"Hi Anil, A129 hardwire kit will be available in 2~3 weeks.
I'd like to send you an email when the kit is available."

For what it's worth to anyone, I ended up making my own and it seems to be working ok. I'll get some pictures of it later if anyone is interested. I'm not an electronics expert by any means, but I like to tinker, so forgive me if I don't sound like I know what I'm doing (because I don't).

I took apart 2 USB/Cigarette lighter adapters and unsoldered the power/ground connectors on each. They output 5v and 1amp I believe (didn't test the amps). I soldered in a "Add-A-Fuse" to the positive, and a wire on the ground. Tied the two grounds together and combined them on a post that attaches to the ground for my car. For the output I ended up using battery terminals from my RC truck spare parts so that I could "re-wire" with the usb cable if need be. Directly soldering the two together would be better for long term though.

I had a long mini-usb cable from some other accessory lying around, so I cut off the female end and stripped the wires back. I used my multimeter to trace the wires back to the male end of the mini-usb plug. I soldered the female battery terminals to each of the wires.

For one of the 5v step-downs from above, I connected the positive output to the 5v (red) and ground to ground (bare). For the other other 5v step-down I connected the 5v output to the VCC+ (green I think) wire and ground to ground (bare).

Parking mode seems to work. I don't really know if there's an indicator that tells me if it's working or not, or if the parking mode is being enabled by GPS, but my "parked" recordings are using my 10fps setting.

For what's it's worth, I plan on this as just being a stop-gap. I'm too impatient to wait for the kit and I keep some equipment in the back of my truck that I wanted to keep an eye on, but as soon as it's out I'll be ordering one.

For what it's worth to anyone, I ended up making my own and it seems to be working ok. I'll get some pictures of it later if anyone is interested. I'm not an electronics expert by any means, but I like to tinker, so forgive me if I don't sound like I know what I'm doing (because I don't).

I took apart 2 USB/Cigarette lighter adapters and unsoldered the power/ground connectors on each. They output 5v and 1amp I believe (didn't test the amps). I soldered in a "Add-A-Fuse" to the positive, and a wire on the ground. Tied the two grounds together and combined them on a post that attaches to the ground for my car. For the output I ended up using battery terminals from my RC truck spare parts so that I could "re-wire" with the usb cable if need be. Directly soldering the two together would be better for long term though.

I had a long mini-usb cable from some other accessory lying around, so I cut off the female end and stripped the wires back. I used my multimeter to trace the wires back to the male end of the mini-usb plug. I soldered the female battery terminals to each of the wires.

For one of the 5v step-downs from above, I connected the positive output to the 5v (red) and ground to ground (bare). For the other other 5v step-down I connected the 5v output to the VCC+ (green I think) wire and ground to ground (bare).

Parking mode seems to work. I don't really know if there's an indicator that tells me if it's working or not, or if the parking mode is being enabled by GPS, but my "parked" recordings are using my 10fps setting.

For what's it's worth, I plan on this as just being a stop-gap. I'm too impatient to wait for the kit and I keep some equipment in the back of my truck that I wanted to keep an eye on, but as soon as it's out I'll be ordering one.
nice!
please post pictures!

looks like a serious job well done!
smile3.gif

I have SmartBox from Mio (3-wire). Will be compatable with A129?
In my old Mio Vue 792 Pro it works perfectly. When car was off - parking mode, when on - normal mode.

In the future I have plan to change logic. I want add power bank (xiaomi 20Ah) and solar panel (BlitzWolf, model with 4 panels).
My schema:
5391440200_1539939500.png

And logic (pseudo code):
Code:
if (3 == OFF && 5 == ON) {
   block(1); // to keep power in battery
   connect(5).to(10); //powerBank+ to camera+
   connect(4).to(11); //powerBank- to camera-
   connect(14).to(12); // solar+ to powerBank+
   connect(15).to(13) // solar- to powerBank-
} else {
   block(5); // power of powerBank will be kept
   connect(1).to(6); // aku+ to module+
   connect(2).to(7); // aku- to module-
   connect(8).to(10); // module+ to camera+
   connect(9).to(11); // module- to camera-
   block(14); // cannot be charged
   connect(8).to(12); // module+ to powerBank+
   connect(9).to(13); // module- to powerBank-
}

My A129 location scenario with 3-wire ParkKit:
Vi_near.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone know if viofo have released their own 3 wire kit yet?

Not released yet. Expected in first part of November 2018.

This is the reply I got from them yesterday. Looks like they are sending out this stock reply for quite some time now.

"Hi Anil, A129 hardwire kit will be available in 2~3 weeks.
I'd like to send you an email when the kit is available."

VIOFO has done it!! They have released the 3 wire kit for the A129 (but they failed to send me the mail :D)

Back