A129 Parking mode stops working after ~2 hours

Unfortunately, my problem started up again. I'm going to test low bitrate parking mode for a week to make sure that the problem is only isolated to Auto Event Detection parking mode for me

The battery pack is probably going down quicker than you think. Why not just wire it into the auto battery?

I did a test this past weekend with one of my A129 dual camera setups and the viofo HW kit. I had the HW kit to the second from the highest safety voltage cut off (12.2v?)

This particular vehicle has an original battery in it, which is more than 4 years old, so it shouldn't be very strong.

I parked it Friday at 6pm, with the camera turned on (sitting in auto detection parking mode). It wasnt touched all weekend. Monday morning, it was still going strong (recording, red lights on), and the car started up normally. It has reliable recordings any time we went into the garage to use the other vehicle.

It did extremely well, in spite of being an elderly battery. Would I leave it like that for a week, and trust it to start? NO

It may not be as big of a drain as people think, IMO, and I'd be very cautious about putting a regular external battery pack in a hot vehicle. They're not designed for that kind of heat, and could easily cause a car fire.

In short, I think it your issue may be the battery pack and not a design flaw in the hw kit or the A129. If it is a VIOFO HW kit, you can look to see if the red LED light(s) are lit on it in the morning, before you power up the vehicle. (light is in the case) I believe they go off if the kit powers down due to low power conditions.

Mike

The Blackvue battery has an app, what is connect to the battery via bluetooth, and yesterday I checked the battery, when I went back to my car. At this time the battery pack was about 70%.

At this moment I testing my setup again. I stopped the car about 3 hours ago, the A129 switch to parking mode, and at now it seems working (REC led blinking, and change to permanent light when walk before the camera).
I check the battery: 91% after 3 hours. I think this is good.

Screenshot_20190820_163220_kr.co.blackvue.blackvuebtcontrol.jpg

What does one do if you have the hardwire kit installed, but you do not want the camera to turn on. Will you need to unplug the camera? This would be for a car sits for over a week.

The Blackvue battery has an app, what is connect to the battery via bluetooth, and yesterday I checked the battery, when I went back to my car. At this time the battery pack was about 70%.

At this moment I testing my setup again. I stopped the car about 3 hours ago, the A129 switch to parking mode, and at now it seems working (REC led blinking, and change to permanent light when walk before the camera).
I check the battery: 91% after 3 hours. I think this is good.

Make sure to check the recordings, because that REC light was misleading. If you look at my previous post, I had a video showing that the REC light was indicating recording, but when I went back to review footage, it was not stored on the micro SD card. I still have no idea if this issue an edge case bug in the firmware that I happen to keep encountering

Just an update

For anyone interested, here's a video that I captured the other day showing the problem: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd28xf9y0p8g7bi/IMG_1318.mp4?dl=0

I got home around 5pm, and went to check up on my dash cam at around 10pm. I purposely walked in front of the dash cam to trigger the motion detection, and got inside my car. You can see that the recording light is on and indicating it is writing to the micro SD card. I started the car to get it to change to driving mode. It then started to record a driving mode clip. I stopped the recording and went to view the past history. You'll see that it stopped writing to the micro SD card around 5:45pm.

It's been over 48 hours with low bitrate parking mode and that has been working excellent, which leads me to believe it is not the Samsung Evo Select micro SD card. Also, I got the not writing to micro SD card problem with my lexar 633x micro SD card when in Auto Event Detection parking mode, which seems to reinforce that it is not the micro SD card.

At this point, I'm not sure what the issue is. Could it be a firmware related bug with the Auto Event Detection parking mode?

I got the dash cam when it was on V1.5. I upgraded the firmware to V1.9, pressed the reset button on the camera with a paper clip to reset it, and also clicked "default settings" through the menu after resetting.

What does one do if you have the hardwire kit installed, but you do not want the camera to turn on. Will you need to unplug the camera? This would be for a car sits for over a week.

Just turn off the camera by holding the left most button for a few seconds. Afterwards, the camera will automatically turn on when you start the car

Press the menu button of camera a few second, and then it turns off.
When I stay my car in the garage, I do this.

Make sure to check the recordings, because that REC light was misleading. If you look at my previous post, I had a video showing that the REC light was indicating recording, but when I went back to review footage, it was not stored on the micro SD card. I still have no idea if this issue an edge case bug in the firmware that I happen to keep encountering
Yes, I checked. Today's 4 hours test is perfect. The camera is recorded when motion is happened.

I have this issue. A129 duo with the hardware kit. Configured for 2fps in parking mode. Parking mode stops after 2 hours (give or take a few minutes). WiFi is off. MIC is On. Driving mode works as expected.

This is not a car battery voltage issue. I've had the camera pointed at a multimeter monitoring the battery voltage on the "battery +" wire - it doesn't shift by more than a few millivolts (12.58 volts) yet the parking mode recordings consistently stop after 2 hours.

Hardware kit is set to its lowest voltage setting (11.8v IIRC)

My SD card is not fake. The card works perfectly in Windows and linux. I've written and verified the full 64GB with no errors reported.

I've tried reformatting the card - still parking mode ends after 2 hours.

What gives?

Does anyone know how the hardwire kit tells the camera it is on accessory (ignition on) Vs permanent battery power? My next troubleshooting step is to find out if the hardware kit stops supplying power after 2 hours or if it is the camera that stops recording.

I have this issue. A129 duo with the hardware kit. Configured for 2fps in parking mode. Parking mode stops after 2 hours (give or take a few minutes). WiFi is off. MIC is On. Driving mode works as expected.

This is not a car battery voltage issue. I've had the camera pointed at a multimeter monitoring the battery voltage on the "battery +" wire - it doesn't shift by more than a few millivolts (12.58 volts) yet the parking mode recordings consistently stop after 2 hours.

Hardware kit is set to its lowest voltage setting (11.8v IIRC)

My SD card is not fake. The card works perfectly in Windows and linux. I've written and verified the full 64GB with no errors reported.

I've tried reformatting the card - still parking mode ends after 2 hours.

What gives?

Does anyone know how the hardwire kit tells the camera it is on accessory (ignition on) Vs permanent battery power? My next troubleshooting step is to find out if the hardware kit stops supplying power after 2 hours or if it is the camera that stops recording.
does it always turn off at the 2 hour mark?

Not always 2 hours.
I have data for the last 8 time I parked...
One time was around 48 minutes although this was at the highest battery cutoff setting.
The other times were all just over 2 hours: 2 hours 5 minutes, 2 hours 1 minute, 2 hours 3 minutes etc) and these were all on the lowest battery cutoff setting.

As I say, the most recent time I had the camera watching a multimeter and the voltage never went close to 11.8v

The accessory wire on the 3 wire kit is just a voltage sensing wire.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The accessory wire on the 3 wire kit is just a voltage sensing wire
Do you know how the hardwire kit communicates the presence of a voltage on the accessory wire to the camera?

To the hardwire module "Battery +" wire
and what voltages are you measuring?

Do you know how the hardwire kit communicates the presence of a voltage on the accessory wire to the camera?
ACC wire won't matter, it's off when parking mode is running

and what voltages are you measuring?
Approximately 14 volts while the engine is running which drops to 12.6 volts within a few minutes of switching the engine off and locking the car. It stays around 12.6 throughout the 2 hours of recording and remains at that voltage after the recording has prematurely ended.

ACC wire won't matter, it's off when parking mode is running

That's correct, but the hardwire module must be communicating the presence of a voltage on the accessory wire to the camera somehow. The module is not simply supplying a standard USB 5v. I'd like to monitor the signal from the module to the camera to determine which is at fault.

Last edited:
Approximately 14 volts while the engine is running which drops to 12.6 volts within a few minutes of switching the engine off and locking the car. It stays around 12.6 throughout the 2 hours of recording and remains at that voltage after the recording has prematurely ended.

have you checked it just after it cuts off or when you come back sometime later and check you are seeing that voltage?

what vehicle, and which circuits have you tapped?

have you checked it just after it cuts off or when you come back sometime later and check you are seeing that voltage?

what vehicle, and which circuits have you tapped?
I know you're trying to be helpful but you are obsessing over the battery voltage a little. This problem is not caused by that.

As I said a couple of times already it stays at 12.6 right up to the moment the parking mode recording ends. Nothing is going to load that down below the cutoff while the car is locked. And it's nearly always 2 hours. And I'm not the only one with exactly the same problem.

The car is a 2019 W177 Mercedes A class.
I've used spare fuseways for permanent live and accessory.

I know you're trying to be helpful but you are obsessing over the battery voltage a little. This problem is not caused by that.

As I said a couple of times already it stays at 12.6 right up to the moment the parking mode recording ends. Nothing is going to load that down below the cutoff while the car is locked. And it's nearly always 2 hours. And I'm not the only one with exactly the same problem.

I'm not obsessing, I'm trying to get all the info, if your camera turns off and the voltage is fine it's most common that the vehicle is CAN-BUS system and the ECU is turning power off when it sees a load that doesn't belong there, turning off at close to the same time period each time is typical of this, you still didn't mention which circuits you're connected to, vague information doesn't help unfortunately

you may be able to find a circuit that's not affected by the ECU but this is a common issue on a lot of late model German cars, people end up using a Cellink Neo for this same reason

Is the camera still powered when you enter your car?

If it is still powered, have you tried the other fps parking modes, auto event detection, or low bitrate parking mode?

If not, give them a go and since if there’s one that ends up working for you

Back