A129 Pro firmware

Here's what VIOFO answered:
Hi kukushkin_d,
We have tested several old firmware, V2.5, V2.6T, V2.7, and V2.8,
if you choose auto event detection parking mode, the files will all be locked once the event is triggered,
other two parking modes are normal, only emergency files will be locked, normal parking modes will not be locked,
if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

I see now, so they consider an event similar to if the vehicle receives impact detection and locks the file. It still doesn't get around the recording resolution not returning back to 4K. I might use a different parking mode then and see how that goes with v2.8

4k Pro duo, front and rear (y)

The way i understand it, is the website is not updated, so although it said firmware 2.7 it actually downloads firmware 2.8.
I was confused by this. Thanks for this information; I confirmed that you're correct. That is incredibly sloppy of Viofo Support.

Last edited:
Finally, i have some time. (not for long though :ROFLMAO:) Look at my little Frankenboy:
View attachment 52733

As i've mentioned before there are two UART interfaces. One used for Novatek's terminal (not protected, root right away), second one is somekind of dump with access to modules (unfortunately i wasn't able to include list of commands here due to characters limitation :p ):
Could you take a photo where exacly you connected? I have A129 duo with logo stuck. I do full flash dump in external programator and open in hexaeditor. I did not notice anything strange there, but also I am not able to fully analyze it. The best solution is to suspect the bootloader log. Please enter a pinout and take a picture. Thank you

Any tips to remove the GPS mount from the windshield?
The last time I did it, I really struggled, the 3M sticker bonds extremely well with the windshield, and had to use a lot of force with the preying tool to take it off. I mean was legit scared I was going to crack the windshield at one point :LOL:

Just received my new 129pro that will replace my old 129pro which will go in my 2nd car.

Technically I could just install the new 129pro on the old GPS mount, but my old 129pro was purchased when the 129pro was first released and we never know, they might have made some hardware tweaks on the GPS mount or the dashcam itself since then.

For example, my old 129pro's rear pins no longer work (meaning GPS no longer works too) and I was told here that this was a known issue with the first units. So to play safe I want to use the new GPS mount that came with the new 129pro.

However, what about the rear camera? Can I just keep the old rear camera or should I also replace it with the new rear camera? I'm planning to keep the same hardware kit as it's installed and set up correctly and works just fine.

I didn't upgrade my old 129pro's fw (2.1) because it worked flawlessly and I was happy with it (set up and forget kind of situation as I never have to manipulate the dashcam and switch between parking and drive mode without issue). The new 129pro came preloaded with fw 2.7, hopefully, no bugs were introduced.

The last time I did it, I really struggled, the 3M sticker bonds extremely well with the windshield, and had to use a lot of force with the preying tool to take it off. I mean was legit scared I was going to crack the windshield at one point :LOL:

Just received my new 129pro that will replace my old 129pro which will go in my 2nd car.

Technically I could just install the new 129pro on the old GPS mount, but my old 129pro was purchased when the 129pro was first released and we never know, they might have made some hardware tweaks on the GPS mount or the dashcam itself since then.

For example, my old 129pro's rear pins no longer work (meaning GPS no longer works too) and I was told here that this was a known issue with the first units. So to play safe I want to use the new GPS mount that came with the new 129pro.

However, what about the rear camera? Can I just keep the old rear camera or should I also replace it with the new rear camera? I'm planning to keep the same hardware kit as it's installed and set up correctly and works just fine.

I didn't upgrade my old 129pro's fw (2.1) because it worked flawlessly and I was happy with it (set up and forget kind of situation as I never have to manipulate the dashcam and switch between parking and drive mode without issue). The new 129pro came preloaded with fw 2.7, hopefully, no bugs were introduced.

Try WD40. You may need to apply it a few times. Spray where you start the leveraging point. The Viofo kits come with a spudger you can use to help leverage the tape off.

Other members will be able to help you with the other part of your question.

Ah I didn't think about using WD40, thanks for that mate, might make my life easier.

Drag a strong string between the windshield and the camera. Dental floss might be strong enough. This will cut through the adhesive.

Drag a strong string between the windshield and the camera. Dental floss might be strong enough. This will cut through the adhesive.

That is really clever. I'm glad I posted, you guys are resourceful, thanks.
I should be doing the swap tomorrow.

Hi guys, done and it was much easier than last time.

I used both @DAP and @LateralNW advice and sprinkled some WD40 on dental floss and it did the trick, then it was much easier to take the GPS mount off this time around.

For the rear I ended up swapping the cameras as well, I forgot that the rear camera could be detached from its mount so it was easy.

Did a quick check, switching between drive and parking mode seem to work as intended so that's good. Formatted the sdcard with SDformatter to start from a clean state and then formatted it again in the dashcam. Will probably have to check exposure settings when I take the car out, unsure if I can just re-use my previous exposure settings from a different fw. I also want to test the new parking sensitivity settings for auto-detection mode as I noticed in the past that the settings' sensitivity could vary from one firmware version to another.

So far so good, my 2nd Viofo, the old one will go in the 2nd car. It's been 2-3 years now that I've been relying on VIOFO to protect me and so far it served me really well and has been very reliable. I'm a happy customer and for now, I have no reason to look elsewhere for my dashcam needs.

Thanks guys

Next time someone wants to remove the mount easily (and reuse the mount/adhesive), follow these steps:
  1. Park the car in the sun. The afternoon heat should warm up the windshiled evenly
  2. Use a hair dryer to blow hot hair around the edge of the mount (from inside the car). Use very short bursts so that the glass doesn't overheat
  3. Warm the glass until it is just uncomfortable to touch. Overheating can cause the glass to crack, so heat it slowly and evenly
  4. Once the glass is warm enough, the adhesive tape will come off much more easily - no need to apply extreme force
  5. Reheat if the mount area gets cool
PS: If you heat only a small area too fast, it may cause the glass to break, so do it Slowly, Evenly, and over a Wider area

This is 3M's recommended way of applying/removing the high strength double sided tapes. Done right, the tape will be intact and can be used again.
When installing the mount, if you heat the tape and glass, it will stick way better once it cools down, though this isn't strictly necessary for light weight dashcams

Next time someone wants to remove the mount easily (and reuse the mount/adhesive), follow these steps:
1) Use very short bursts so that the glass doesn't overheat
2) Warm the glass until it is just uncomfortable to touch. Overheating can cause the glass to crack, so heat it slowly and evenly
3) PS: If you heat only a small area too fast, it may cause the glass to break, so do it Slowly, Evenly, and over a Wider area

3 warnings that it might cause the glass to crack and also require to park the car in the sun for a prolonged time and also use a hairdryer ...
Thanks but I'll stick to the way I described above :)

3 warnings that it might cause the glass to crack and also require to park the car in the sun for a prolonged time and also use a hairdryer ...
Thanks but I'll stick to the way I described above :)
Hey, you do you bud. I mentioned it only because hairdryers are more common than WD40 for most people, and you don't have to clean up the tape crumbs.
I'd rather err on the side of caution than have someone heat only one spot on the windshield and crack it ;)

If you don't want to park the car outside, you can do this after you return from a drive in the afternoon sun. This is purely to reduce chances of uneven heating. You can do it in the middle of the night too, if you understand what to do and what not to do.

But yeah, choose whichever method you feel most comfortable with

I think you may have missed my last comment where I said that I was able to take the mount off spraying some WD40 on dental floss (outside the car so nothing to clean up)
It's done but thanks

Back