A129 pro intermittent bump problem?

mms1361

Reaction score
Country
United States
Latest fw and app. I've been noticing lately that when passengers get in or close my rear hatch it triggers my dashcam. If the screen is timed out(black) I hear a tone or two and the screen lights back up. The same thing happens when I hit a relatively hard bump in the road. The thing is I don't believe it's triggering a g related event? I dont get the yellow hazard symbol and the video file does not get locked. Unfortunately I don't have a laptop to where I can thoroughly review what is happening at the moment with the SD card. Is anyone else experiencing something like this?

Judging by the video clip only being 50 seconds long to the time I hit the bump and my loop setting being 5 minutes long, I am led to believe it stops recording when I hit a bump. Not good.

Edit: my app is also failing to detect any clips stored in the camera. I can manually view them via the camera body though. Also not good.

The clips during and after the bumps are unlocked. I can't see the timer but im assuming there is about a 3-10second portion of the clip missing from the time the bump hits and cuts recording to the time the camera resumes recording. While I am driving I do not hear the camera reboot.

Last edited:
Could it be that you are experiencing a loose connection? Possibly with the rear camera cable.

Could it be that you are experiencing a loose connection? Possibly with the rear camera cable.
The front camera also stops recording . There's is about an 8 to 12 inch loop in my rear hatch to accomodate the hatch opening and closing. When fully open the cable still has slack. The interruptions are being induced by g forces/physical vibrations no doubt

if the rear camera loses connection the recording will stop and restart
That’s the reason it leads me to believe it could be a loose connection since the cameras are stopping recording and there are not files going in to the safe folder, an indication the g sensor or accelerometer are not registering those bumps

I would suggest to unplug the rear camera first and let the front camera record alone and then try to close doors with the intention to replicate the problem

if the rear camera loses connection the recording will stop and restart

Seems like this could be the reason it's occuring. I removed the rear camera cable while driving to see what would happen. I get a similar situation where the camera lights up beeps and continues to record. It just pauses momentarily, it does not completely reboot though.

I took a look at the mounting connections. They both seem to be secure as they can be. I even tried wiggling to see if I'd lose connection. Nothing happens. I gave them a small flick to see if a shock to the body would replicate it. Nothing happens. Here is a pic of the connection to the rear camera.IMG_20200101_194629.jpg

There is a small loop here to reduce stress to the connection. The right side of the cable is firmly wedged in place so as not to move the actual connection point. I have an additional loop that I mentioned earlier on the right side of the hatch that is never under tension.

IMG_20200101_200605.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200101_200521.jpg
    IMG_20200101_200521.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 12
Is your USB power connected to the gps base or directly to the camera?

What brand and model memory card are you using?

How are you powering the camera?

I tried replicating today by shutting the rear hatch. I was able to replicate the problem once but did not record it. I don't know wether the power cable is moving as it seems pretty secure. Mabe the shock of a pothole/closing the hatch is somehow causing an intermittent power loss to the rear camera.

How would I go about isolating this. My biggest issue is that if it's the rear camera causing trouble it also cuts video to the front camera and alot can happen in 5 seconds to have the front camera not working.

Disconnect the rear camera for a while, see if potholes still cause an issue with just the front camera, if they do look at power connection, if the problem goes away it's the rear camera

Disconnect the rear camera for a while, see if potholes still cause an issue with just the front camera,
Don't want to destroy my car testing this. I was already slamming the hatch pretty hard and was only able to cause it to chirp once out of ten or so times.

nothing to destroy, just unplug the rear cam at the front camera and see if you get any drop outs while driving around

nothing to destroy, just unplug the rear cam at the front camera and see if you get any drop outs while driving around
Yeah I meant I didn't want to necessiraly be driving over potholes and destroying my suspension trying to trigger the cam. If the problem was with the front camera body momentarily experiencing a power loss, wouldn't the camera reboot?(viofo logo and all). Because it doesn't reboot all the way to the viofo logo, I am inclined to believe the problem stems from the rear cam. When I remove the rear cam I get the same chirp, video feeds cut off and then resumes. During this "refresh" period however the camera never fully reboots to the viofo logo.

I took a video explaining the situation,
Seen here

By any chance, have you notice it the front camera displays a yellow warning sign when that happens?

If the problem was with the front camera body momentarily experiencing a power loss, wouldn't the camera reboot?(viofo logo and all).
no, if the power cuts for a second or so and comes back it will stop and then restart recording without rebooting

Reactions: EGS
By any chance, have you notice it the front camera displays a yellow warning sign when that happens?
It does not. The files don't get locked to the RO folder either.

Back