I completely forgot we have a firmware thread :ROFLMAO:

For anybody interested, Viofo's website contains link for v1.2 20210507 firmware. Ignore the v1.1 description. :giggle:

I've just updated with that FW from that site and can confirm. A very limited testing so far shows no issues yet, but I'm testing further.

I think I have every FW version ever issued with this cam including betas, so if anyone needs any of that let me know which one you want and I'll make it available to the public on Google Drive.

Phil

It's about time I upgraded. I just checked and noticed I'm on V1.0!!

It's about time I upgraded. I just checked and noticed I'm on V1.0!!
I will say that I never saw a need to update since the camera has always worked for me without any issues. Now that we're coming out of covid restrictions and I'm starting to drive again, I think it's time to update the FW and see what I've been missing.

I jumped on the latest FW 1.06 and station mode is working fine. I can browse A139 video files on my laptop, and also see the live video stream via VLC on my phone.

I'll leave it running for the rest of the day to check on stability. I suppose recording 3 channels plus broadcasting over WiFi will make it even hotter :eek:

Last edited:
For some reason, I'm out of luck and my unit claims "Wifi connected" even when I set completely random SSID and password. :cry: @TonyM Have you used the beta app from Viofo's blog website above or official from GooglePlay (since that one includes the option as well)? If I won't be able to set it via app, I'm going to try it via Novatek API.

But they finally enabled buttons in parking mode! Even Wifi is possible to enable in parking mode(but sadly Station mode is disabled) and when dashcam switches from parking mode to normal mode, Wifi haven't turned off either! (finally some logical stuff)

EDIT: It would be even better to have such settings available via mobile app though! (I mean, like buttons enable/disable, Wifi-on for this and that mode, etc.)

Last edited:
For some reason, I'm out of luck and my unit claims "Wifi connected" even when I set completely random SSID and password. :cry: @TonyM Have you used the beta app from Viofo's blog website above or official from GooglePlay (since that one includes the option as well)? If I won't be able to set it via app, I'm going to try it via Novatek API.

But they finally enabled buttons in parking mode! Even Wifi is possible to enable in parking mode(but sadly Station mode is disabled) and when dashcam switches from parking mode to normal mode, Wifi haven't turned off either! (finally some logical stuff)
I used the beta app from the link on Viofo's website. Doing so updated the official app I already had installed.

My A139 is running on a powerbank so it's in full bitrate mode, not parking mode.

That means it's recording at max bitrate on all channels in a parked car, with WiFi station mode enabled. I'll check temps later, but it's only a warm day.

Last edited:
recording at max bitrate on all channels in a parked car, with WiFi station mode enabled. I'll check temps later, but it's only a warm day.
So after 3 hours the A139 was rather toasty! It's only 20°C outside, but 45° at the roof liner and the max temperature I recorded on the A139 was 79°C!

PXL_20210623_134302805-01.jpeg

The camera was no longer broadcasting in station mode, and the REC and WiFi buttons no longer responded, but it was still recording 3CH full bitrate!

A long press of the power button did shut down properly, after which I restarted and could browse the files over WiFi, including the internal video of me measuring the temperature.

Hopefully someone can test station mode in parking mode.

I used the beta app from the link on Viofo's website. Doing so updated the official app I already had installed.
Yeah I used the beta app too, installed by "overwriting" the official one. Unfortunately even a fresh install doesn't work for me. :D :facepalm: Have you changed anything after flashing the firmware or set everything to what you need including SSID/password for A139's hotspot?

Hopefully someone can test station mode in parking mode.
As I've mentioned above, it's impossible to start Station mode in parking mode, only A139's AP works.

Last edited:
Yeah I used the beta app too, installed by "overwriting" the official one. Unfortunately even a fresh install doesn't work for me. :D :facepalm: Have you changed anything after flashing the firmware or set everything to what you need including SSID/password for A139's hotspot?

As I've mentioned above, it's impossible to start Station mode in parking mode, only A139's AP works.
I did change a few things like bitrate (max), parking mode (low bitrate), car ID, and of course the SSID & password.

You did remember to turn off WiFi and stop the recording before trying to enter station mode? It then starts recording automatically.

I did change a few things like bitrate (max), parking mode (low bitrate), car ID, and of course the SSID & password.

You did remember to turn off WiFi and stop the recording before trying to enter station mode? It then starts recording automatically.
Ok, I took it home and there are two issues:
First, A139 lies about "Wifi connected". I got this quote even when I only turned Wifi hotspot on and not even touched my phone :ROFLMAO: and sometimes stays silent despite my phone did connect.
Second, it seems like they are unable to pass SSIDs with a space in it.

Btw: You don't have to stop recording before enabling Station Mode. :) EDIT: Never mind, it is experimental feature afterall, and sometimes it probably wipes the StationMode settings when it's enabled while recording active. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Station Mode Works via Http: to browse files.
Station Mode Works vis rtsp to view 3 channel live video

Station Mode DOES NOT WORK after car is shutoff and enters parking mode. Station Mode Disables along with Wifi.

Reactions: Mtz
FYI: There's a setting now for OPENVPN support to allow cellular data while connected to camera.
Do you mean in app? Isn't that VPN bypass there since like 2.8 or something? (2 years ago?) :)

Station Mode Works via Http: to browse files.
Station Mode Works vis rtsp to view 3 channel live video
Expectable, the "web"interface servers are still the same. The only thing which have changed is the way how Wifi module behaves and network switched to client. There is even more than that, check out Novatek documentation. (somebody posted it somewhere here at dashcamtalk)

Station Mode DOES NOT WORK after car is shutoff and enters parking mode. Station Mode Disables along with Wifi.
Yeah, I mentioned that above, it's a bit bummer. Interestingly enough, one is able to enable Wifi hotspot which consumes even more (and thus produces more heat).

Do you mean in app? Isn't that VPN bypass there since like 2.8 or something? (2 years ago?) :)

What is the VPN bypass? Change System Settings and Allow Permissions (Enabled).

I then connected to the camera, but my internet wasn't working on my phone still with VPN Bypass enabled.

Expectable, the "web"interface servers are still the same. The only thing which have changed is the way how Wifi module behaves and network switched to client. There is even more than that, check out Novatek documentation. (somebody posted it somewhere here at dashcamtalk)

Yeah, I mentioned that above, it's a bit bummer. Interestingly enough, one is able to enable Wifi hotspot which consumes even more (and thus produces more heat).

Understood. I wasn't sure if it had gotten mentioned.

Last edited:
So if station mode is not compatible with parking mode, does it serve any purpose?

It seems to me that the only time I might consider using it is when the car is parked.

Perhaps Viofo will update the function later.

So if station mode is not compatible with parking mode, does it serve any purpose?

It seems to me that the only time I might consider using it is when the car is parked.

Perhaps Viofo will update the function later.

Yes, which is why this feature has no uses at the moment. If it cannot remain active while the car is shut off, then it will not be beneficial. So another firmware update is required to resolve this matter.

Priority #1 is reliability and image. Priority #2 is useful features. Unfortunately, I am not convinced station mode will work well on the A139. If the cameras risk overheating already, then Station Mode is most likely going to exacerbate that issue.
I doubt that in a home garage you risk overheating with StationMode enabled.

Back