A229 Duo vs A229 Plus

DonnyD

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the difference between the A229 Duo Dual channel and the A229 Plus 2Ch?

The Pro has 4K front resolution instead of 2K, so twice the detail.
The Pro comes with a free CPL, while it is an extra cost item on the Plus.
The Pro has. a 9% wider front image field of view, 112 degrees vs 102 degrees horizontal field of view, so it can see significantly more at the sides.
The Pro can see 33% further, 20 meters vs 15 meters for reading a UK license plate, when looking straight ahead.

And the old A229 Duo only has a Sony Starvis 1 image sensor instead of a Sony Starvis 2 image sensor which is a big upgrade, especially at night when using HDR, and also has a wider angle lens, close to that of the Pro, combined with 2K resolution, so can only see about 13 meters for reading a UK license plate. Also, the old A229 Duo is missing voice control, and has slower Wi-Fi.

The A229 Plus has the option of a 3rd channel for the interior, not available on the A229 Duo.

If you are upgrading from the A229 Duo to the A229 Plus, then it is worth noting that the cables are different, using USB connections instead of coax connections for the remote cameras, so the old front to back cable will need replacing. The power cable is compatible, and I think they can use the same hardwire kit. Not certain about the hardwire kit for the Pro, it is possible when upgrading that some of the older hardwire kits are not powerful enough.

Last edited:
I am also considering the A229 Pro, but would like to know the difference between the A229 Duo Dual and the A229 Plus 2Ch

I updated my list of differences.

Thought you were looking for 4K dashcams?
Image quality is not much different, it is the field of view and distance at which it can read a plate that changes.

I am also considering the A229 Pro, but would like to know the difference between the A229 Duo Dual and the A229 Plus 2Ch
Off the top of my head, the front and rear cam sensors move from Starvis 1 to Starvis 2, it adds support for an optional interior cam you could add later, the UI is updated, and you get voice commands.

This is my first dash cam, and would like to move it between two cars. To do that I think I need the GPS Mount, but the Viofo website is confusing.
The A229 Plus lists the GPS Module in the description. However, in the picture of the parts list, there is no module.
The A229 Duo lists a GPS Logger in the description, and does show the GPS Module in the picture of the parts list.
I am leaning toward the A229 Plus, so will need to purchase the GPS Mount. Is that correct?
Also, the Duo is more expensive, but the Plus seems to have better specs (1440-60P for front and rear, and Starvis 2, and HDR).

The Plus comes with one GPS mount. If you’d like to move the cam between cars instead of getting one for each car, you’ll want to buy a second GPS mount.

The front cam is removable like that, but not the rear. Depending on the level of convenience you’re looking for, you could also get some extra cables for the other car too. You could do things like hardwire one car (an optional extra), and use the cigarette lighter power plug (included) for the other car.

Note that the GPS module for the Plus and Pro has been updated, so you will need to get the correct new version if you want the GPS working.

The A229 Plus lists the GPS Module in the description. However, in the picture of the parts list, there is no module.
The two cameras work in the same way, with updated parts. If you look up accessories on Viofo''s web site then you can find the "spare" GPS module for the A229 Plus, with image.

Also, the Duo is more expensive, but the Plus seems to have better specs (1440-60P for front and rear, and Starvis 2, and HDR).
For me, the Duo shows up as a little cheaper, but I would strongly recommend the Plus, well worth the small difference.

Here's a list of the features for the A229 Pro / A229 Plus / A229 Duo dash cameras in my feature comparison chart format.

Feature_Comparison_Page_1_20231015_1014.png Feature_Comparison_Page_2_20231015_1014.png

I have the A229 Pro installed in my car. I'm still trying to complete my power consumption testing for the A229 Plus. I received updated front camera firmware files for the A229 Pro / A229 Plus (v1.0_231009 for both of them). The A229 Plus with the updated firmware completed my 3-channel power consumption testing. When I moved onto my 2-channel testing starting with resolution setting 2560x1440 60fps (front) + 2560x1440 30 fps (rear), the A229 Plus would not get past my test of having the VIOFO app connected over a 5 GHz Wi-Fi connection. The live view screen never showed any video (on two different Android devices) and after a few minutes running in this state the A229 Plus would stop recording video and then shortly after that it would reboot. I've reported the issue to VIOFO. When I set the resolution setting to same resolution but 30 fps for both front and rear cameras, the live view will display video and the A229 Plus does not reboot. It looks like the 60 fps front with a live view being active is triggering a bug of some sort in the firmware.

Thanks guys, I think I am fairly settled on the Plus. I hadn't thought of using the hardwire on one car and the cigarette plug on the second car. That may be what I can do. I also don't need the rear camera on the second car.

I also don't need the rear camera on the second car.
You could buy the 3 channel version and install the rear on your main car and the interior on the other. Having a rear camera isn't essential, but it is nice to have, and an interior camera looking rearward will, on most cars, record what happens behind, may not catch the license plates behind, but it's good enough to avoid any insurance arguments.

Just a thought, not a recommendation.

I see the A229 Plus on the Viofo website. I'd like to buy it from Amazon. Anybody have any idea when the A229 Plus will be for sale on Amazon (if ever)?

Considering the A229 Pro as well however, is there a reason why most of these cams are always 30 fps? Thats a huge hinderance on reading plates. I'd rather have a 2k @ 60 fps than 4k @ 30 fps.

Considering the A229 Pro as well however, is there a reason why most of these cams are always 30 fps? Thats a huge hinderance on reading plates. I'd rather have a 2k @ 60 fps than 4k @ 30 fps.
The Starvis 2 sensors can't manage 4K 60fps with HDR.
Current processors can't manage 4K 60fps with HDR.
60fps is of no significant benefit for reading plates when driving at normal speeds.
I don't think any of the current dashcam processors can manage to compress 4K 60fps at decent quality, or if they can then they can't manage to cope with rear and interior channels at the same time. The A119 cameras have 60fps, but they are single channel, and 2K.

That is the current situation, it may change before long.

Back