A229 Plus Test & Review PP

i'm nervous to ask this 'simple' question:
Welcome to the club.
Excellent questions.
I’ll be happy to answer all your questions.
Shop specifications first.
2023 Minimum Requirements;
1.) STARVIS 2 Image Sensor
2.) HDR

A129 Pro = No STARVIS 2 & NO HDR.
I only recommend the A139 Pro in 1-CH configuration.
Black Friday is in two weeks, and they will most likely be on sale for around $200 in 1-CH configuration.
If you just want basic, the A119 Mini 2 should be on sale for around $99 on Black Friday.
Whatever you decide, protect yourself by purchasing from a retailer with a 30-Day return policy & free return shipping.
Viofo.com return policy is 3-Days, and the customer pays return shipping cost to Hong Kong.

1 .png

If it were my money I would buy the A229 Pro 3-CH.
But, I would only use the IR Interior camera during parking mode because the front camera will automatically drop to 2K resolution & Low Bitrate when in parking mode.
During normal “driving” recording mode I would disconnect the IR Interior camera by pulling the 3.5mm jack connector from the front / main unit just enough to disconnect it to fully restore the front camera’s 57 Mbps Bitrate.

Keep in mind the A229 Pro’s & A229 Plus’s night time HDR performance on the Front & Rear cameras is currently substandard to the A139 Pro & A119 Mini 2, and not acceptable in my opinion.
Viofo is currently working on a firmware update to fix the night time HDR performance.
By the time the A229 Pro & A229 Plus is available on Amazon US, (est. 11/6/23) I’m hoping the firmware update will be available.
I would just wait for 2 weeks until Viofo has their Black Friday deals on Amazon US.
-Chuck

If I was going to shell out ~$200 for the A129, does it make sense to pay a few $ more for the A139 or just go straight to the A229 plus?
It is sensible to go for one of the cameras with the new Starvis 2 sensors, so currently you have the A139 Pro, which has been out for a year and so is reasonably well proven with issues resolved, or the A229 Plus or Pro which are new and still have a few issues. A229 Plus would probably be a good choice, but you should update the firmware after a few months, same goes for the A229 Pro. The Pro has twice the front resolution, so is more likely to catch number plates, especially in places that have hard to read plates, apart from that there is not much difference between Plus and Pro.

With the sales coming up, and the A139 Pro being the older camera, you may find some very good discounts on that, in which case that might be the better choice, if it became the cheaper of the three then I would choose it. Panzer says he only recommends a 1 channel A139 Pro, but I'm sure most people use the 2 channel version and they are not complaining about anything.

I check my a129's card maybe 1x every few months just to make sure it's working. I never do a live view. I've never really messed with any of the video settings other than changing resolution/bitrate. I just want a set it and forget install that will protect me in cased of an accident...
So is the A229 plus ok for me?
Note that you might need to get a better card with these newer cameras, choosing from Viofo's recommended cards list. Viofo's own cards are very good.

First off: Thank you so much for the feedback! Very appreciated.
Good point re: waiting for the sale(s). Perhaps the a229 pro would come down in price and might be worth the extra $?

If I didn't want to shell out the money, it looks like the A119 MINI 2 has the same specs as the a229 plus? Would 2 minis be > A229 Plus + rear camera?

The last weeks there were a couple of lightning deals for the mini 2 at $99, the 2 channel plus is $199 after a coupon, don't know if that's only because I'm a prime member though. They also have bundles with the cpl filter, hardwire kit and/ or memory card, make sure to check those out as well before you order

If I didn't want to shell out the money, it looks like the A119 MINI 2 has the same specs as the a229 plus? Would 2 minis be > A229 Plus + rear camera?
That's a tough comparison.
I do like the idea of running two separate A119 Mini 2's for system redundancy.
But the A229 Plus has the capability to run the IR Interior camera for only $30 more.
And the night time image quality from the IR Interior camera is good, and it does not lower the Bitrate of the front camera like the A229 Pro.
Decisions, Decisions. lol

Well even if i just want the traditional F & R cameras i would go for something like the A 229 RPO or plus, CUZ i have tried to go to several single cameras for footage, and i am just too old for that poop.

Also i have run dual cameras since they came about, and i have never needed the redundancy of 2 separate systems.

Panzer says he only recommends a 1 channel A139 Pro, but I'm sure most people use the 2 channel version and they are not complaining about anything.
They're not complaining because they don't know their Front channel bitrate is being "stolen" by connecting the rear camera.
It's like being short changed at a cash register, and never finding out. lol

I have no need for interior camera and I like the idea of getting full 2k + starvis2 + hdr + cfl for both cameras if I do dual a119 mini2's.
So it would be A229 Plus vs dual minis? Which would you do? Rear camera on the A229 vs a A119 mini 2.

I have no need for interior camera
The interior camera will be invaluable for providing evidence showing what's going on on either side of the car.
Especially in parking mode.
I've seen a few posts from users here complaining the front & rear camera completely missed an incident that happen on the side of their car, and now they want help adding side cameras.
Here is an example of all the extra info you get out of the side windows that is missed by the front & rear cameras.
Viofo makes an optional 6 meter cable for the IR Interior camera for this purpose.

A229 Pro Screenshot .png

I like the idea of getting full 2k + starvis2 + hdr + cfl for both cameras
Both the A229 Pro & A229 Plus have STARVIS 2 & HDR & 2K on the rear camera.
However, the CPL is a good point.

Last edited:
I mentioned this in another thread and folks graciously ignored it. My two channel A229 Pro has the 2 second delay between the activity and the actual display in live view. That is with the IR camera attached and without the IR camera attached. Happens in both A229 Pro with base FW, not a power issue.

That's what I mean, some bugs are there and image quality refinements that they're gonna have to go thru. Will investigate more as just got done thru plowing thru the latest Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro firmware and app updates

I just updated the firmware from v-1.0_230928 to v-1.0_231009 and that resolved the two second delay between movement and live view display. In another thread(?)/post someone mentioned their new A229 Pro came with the 231009 FW, so if you have the older FW ask VIOFO for the latest. Presently the oldest FW is still listed on the VIOFO support page for the A229 Pro.

I realise this is the A229 Plus thread but since folks are cruising between the Pro and Plus, and I mentioned the 2 second delay here, I thought I would update on the fix.

I asked Viofo for a Promo Code now that the A229 Plus is available on Amazon US.
They were kind enough to offer a 5% off Promo Code (Exp. 1/7/24): PANZERPLUS
Btw, I am NOT an Amazon Associate.
I am NOT an affiliate of Viofo, BlackBoxMyCar, or any other retailer.
I earn zero dollars testing dash cams.
Maybe we’ll see a lower price in two weeks for Viofo’s Black Friday sale.
Currently the 5% off brings the price down from $230 to $216.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0CKX9NX3D
A229 Plus 3-CH .png

I just updated the firmware from v-1.0_230928 to v-1.0_231009 and that resolved the two second delay between movement and live view display. In another thread(?)/post someone mentioned their new A229 Pro came with the 231009 FW, so if you have the older FW ask VIOFO for the latest. Presently the oldest FW is still listed on the VIOFO support page for the A229 Pro.

I realise this is the A229 Plus thread but since folks are cruising between the Pro and Plus, and I mentioned the 2 second delay here, I thought I would update on the fix.
Cheers for the updates, yeah I was going to ask but I saw over the last few weeks there were some show stopper bugs & issues with IQ still in testing. So just gonna hold off now til official release by Viofo on their support pages. Think there's late October firmware now too

Cheers for the updates, yeah I was going to ask but I saw over the last few weeks there were some show stopper bugs & issues with IQ still in testing. So just gonna hold off now til official release by Viofo on their support pages. Think there's late October firmware now too

There is great wisdom in holding off on applying non-official FW updates. I had this one and tossed it into one of my A229 just to see if it made a difference and, it did. As you mentioned, there are still bugs, some noted by rcg530 in his thread. I questioned VIOFO about the longer boot times, they replied that being 4K with a screen, the power consumption is larger and will need longer time to boot.

I experienced something on my A229 Pro that puzzled me for a bit until I thought it through. Being retired, and slightly bored, I sat in the parking lot of a 7-11 convenience store, drinking coffee and watching some carpenters put a roof on a building next to the 7-11. I have done the same work before as a young man and always enjoyed carpentry so I watched these guys for about 45 minutes. With the ignition key in to the last notch before starting the car, the dash cam was powered and running. When I started the car, the camera did a quick chime, shut itself off and that was that.

What happened I figured, is the the move from accessory to start killed the power briefly and the super cap took over and shut down the running camera. I had to restart the car to get the camera to power up and function. This is not really a flaw but the way the dashcam power routine is designed. Lose power and super cap takes over and shuts down. I can think of a way or two that VIOFO could attempt to remedy this issue but frankly, I don't think it would be worth the cost to us or the effort for them.

Btw, I am NOT an Amazon Associate.
I am NOT an affiliate of Viofo, BlackBoxMyCar, or any other retailer.
I earn zero dollars testing dash cams.

But you do solicit and receive thousands of dollars worth of "free" dash cams, CPLs, high end memory cards, hard wire kits, advanced battery packs and other merch from retailers and manufacturers as payment-in-kind for promoting their products including other automotive products for your "sponsored videos" on YouTube all of which is considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service, so this narrative that you keep putting forth where you claim that you earn zero dollars testing dash cams is completely false and disingenuous. I mean, here you are literally being issued an eponymous "Promo Code" from a manufacturer in your name at your request for promoting the sale of a specific camera and accessories which has been provided to you at no cost. There could not be a more explicit example of the nature of your enterprise.

Sorry if you or anyone else here doesn't want to hear any of this but it is the plain and simple truth of the matter.

Last edited:
There is great wisdom in holding off on applying non-official FW updates. I had this one and tossed it into one of my A229 just to see if it made a difference and, it did. As you mentioned, there are still bugs, some noted by rcg530 in his thread. I questioned VIOFO about the longer boot times, they replied that being 4K with a screen, the power consumption is larger and will need longer time to boot.

I experienced something on my A229 Pro that puzzled me for a bit until I thought it through. Being retired, and slightly bored, I sat in the parking lot of a 7-11 convenience store, drinking coffee and watching some carpenters put a roof on a building next to the 7-11. I have done the same work before as a young man and always enjoyed carpentry so I watched these guys for about 45 minutes. With the ignition key in to the last notch before starting the car, the dash cam was powered and running. When I started the car, the camera did a quick chime, shut itself off and that was that.

What happened I figured, is the the move from accessory to start killed the power briefly and the super cap took over and shut down the running camera. I had to restart the car to get the camera to power up and function. This is not really a flaw but the way the dashcam power routine is designed. Lose power and super cap takes over and shuts down. I can think of a way or two that VIOFO could attempt to remedy this issue but frankly, I don't think it would be worth the cost to us or the effort for them.
If the yellow wire from НK4 is connected to the ACC fuse on which the voltage does not disappear when the engine starts,
then no spontaneous shutdowns will occur.
Tested on different Viofo and Vantrue models. And also on different cars.

If the yellow wire from НK4 is connected to the ACC fuse on which the voltage does not disappear when the engine starts,
then no spontaneous shutdowns will occur.
Tested on different Viofo and Vantrue models. And also on different cars.

I am wired from the dash cam to the mirror power source, so the HK4 is not in use. What happened is not a VIOFO issue for certain, it is simply due to method of supplying power, I honestly would not expect VIOFO to have the hardware or software to determine the difference between HKR wiring and custom wiring. I mentioned the above event so others would recognise the event as not a VIOFO issue and would understand the event should it occur to them. Keeps people from calling out a fault when there is not one, hopefully.

Back