A229 Pro New Firmware v1.1_231208

Shadowtrax

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro, Viofo A129 Plus Duo
Viofo came out with a highly anticipated/wanted new firmware last week for the a229 Pro - it's v1.1_231208. Has anyone installed and tried the latest firmware?
(I didn't see any forum talk on this new firmware?? I'm new here so maybe I just don't know how to properly search the forums.... I'm sure there is talk of it somewhere so I apologize ahead of time for not finding it.)

It was kinda hidden in a random post here

Then posted to the firmware thread:

Ahh, it looks like it was announced as available in the a229 PLUS thread, thank you M83 for the input. It appears that nobody has commented on installing/using/testing it yet - see if it fixes some of the issues that people are pointing out here. If anyone has installed/tested this latest firmware (v1.1_231208) on their a229 PRO let us know on this thread. I expect to do my install within the next week or so if it warms up enough, so I might be the first :)

Good Morning, for whatever reason, I'm unable to update the front camera to the latest firmware. Any suggestions?
Side note: When I received the 2 CH kit, I was able to update both the front and back. Now, I cannot do the front.

Good Morning, for whatever reason, I'm unable to update the front camera to the latest firmware. Any suggestions?
Side note: When I received the 2 CH kit, I was able to update both the front and back. Now, I cannot do the front.
Make sure the card is formatted to Fat32.

i did. The rear cam updated to the latest but the front is not working. It just start recording and does not launch the update
Is the file still on the card after trying?

i did. The rear cam updated to the latest but the front is not working. It just start recording and does not launch the update
My rear cam also updated but the front didn't, had to format to fat32. Also copy the file again since it gets deleted.

got it to work. Had to use a smaller card (32gb).
I had the exact same problem, and same solution. A new Viofo 32gb card from Amazon. Also took SDS's advice, and unplugged the rear camera before updating. Also unchecked the Quick Format box.

I always use a smaller memory card to update with, though these days so many years later my smallest card for something like that is a 16 GB one, and i also still have a couple of 32 GB cards.

If you have DL firmware make sure windows have not attached some suffix to it, so it might look like firmwarename.bin(1) where it should just be firmwarename.bin i have done that error a few tiles as my DL folder in windows contain many firmware files and in some cases they do not change name so a new DL will get (1) or whatever attached to it, and in that case the camera will just ignore the file.

Yeah, having this issue as well. Just got the A229 Pro and when I throw the firmware on the card the camera basically goes 'lol what's this?' and not only ignores but seems to ouright delete it, although it's formatted to exFat and not FAT32.

Update: Yeah, forcing it to FAT32 made it work, so I'll be doing the "I always use a smaller memory card to update with" route.

To update the firmware, you need to format the card to FAT32 using this program first. (do not tick quick format)
Yeah, having this issue as well. Just got the A229 Pro and when I throw the firmware on the card the camera basically goes 'lol what's this?' and not only ignores but seems to ouright delete it, although it's formatted to exFat and not FAT32.

To update the firmware, you need to format the card to FAT32 using this program first. (do not tick quick format)
You do realize that formatting to FAT32 isn't listed anywhere in the instructions? Simply says to format the card, not what file system to use. Use a large enough card and Windows is going to default to exFat or NTFS and you'll need to fiddle around with tools such as the one you posted, using diskpart, etc.

Although afterward this shouldn't be much of an issue as the notes for 231208 lists support for exFat, lol.

"Added: Support exFat file format."

The FAQ you referenced is probably a Work-In-Progress.
In this post, a link is posted to two videos on how to upgrade the firmware.
It shows how you can check whether or not the filesystem is FAT32 and advises, if it's not, to format the card with the dashcam.

I ended up using DiskGenius yesterday.

Welp, at least it wasn't just plain FAT.

Viofo came out with a highly anticipated/wanted new firmware last week for the a229 Pro - it's v1.1_231208. Has anyone installed and tried the latest firmware?
(I didn't see any forum talk on this new firmware?? I'm new here so maybe I just don't know how to properly search the forums.... I'm sure there is talk of it somewhere so I apologize ahead of time for not finding it.)
Regarding the latest firmware update for A229 pro (231208) I am not able to share any changes from the old firmware having just recently purchased the A229 pro. However, I did experience some issues updating as others (below) have stated. After following the viofo directions 1. formatted SD card (on MacBook) using 512g card. the only option was exFAT not FAT32. Tried this twice and (when starting up) the unit alerted me that there was a "card error" and I needed to reformat. 2. I could not find a card that was 32g or less so I gave (step 3) a shot. 3. I did not format the SC card before copying the firmware .bin file (only had a few videos saved and by not formatting the card it retained its FAT32 from the previous unit format) to the 512g card. 4. I confirmed the video files were in its own folder and the firmware .bin zip file was listed (outside the video folder). 5. Turned on the car and the unit started...and then screen showed the firmware was being updated. Took about 1m to complete. All was good (at least so far). Hope this helps.

Regarding the latest firmware update for A229 pro (231208) I am not able to share any changes from the old firmware having just recently purchased the A229 pro. However, I did experience some issues updating as others (below) have stated. After following the viofo directions 1. formatted SD card (on MacBook) using 512g card. the only option was exFAT not FAT32. Tried this twice and (when starting up) the unit alerted me that there was a "card error" and I needed to reformat. 2. I could not find a card that was 32g or less so I gave (step 3) a shot. 3. I did not format the SC card before copying the firmware .bin file (only had a few videos saved and by not formatting the card it retained its FAT32 from the previous unit format) to the 512g card. 4. I confirmed the video files were in its own folder and the firmware .bin zip file was listed (outside the video folder). 5. Turned on the car and the unit started...and then screen showed the firmware was being updated. Took about 1m to complete. All was good (at least so far). Hope this helps.
The next time you update the firmware, you can use a memory card in exFat format.
Change Log for V1.1_231208
2. Added: Support exFat file format.

Back