A229 Pro Overheating

My A229 Pro 2CH has been suffering from overheating ever since the outside weather has started getting hotter (above 85F or 30C) whenever I leave my car parked in direct sunlight. I do not use parking mode, so when I turn on my car the dashcam will power on for a few seconds and then shut itself down. I have noticed that this problem usually only happens when the dashcam itself was in direct sunlight. Also of significance is that that this issue does NOT occur if I unplug the rear camera under the exact same circumstances. I contacted VIOFO support and after some discussion they told me me this:

I very much like the camera aside from this issue, so I'm very hopeful that one of these new firmware that I've seen talked about here might help to alleviate the issue somewhat.
what firmware are you running?

experienced two thermal shutdowns with the 1.3_240702 [test] firmware installed during today’s drive
Do you have a changelog for this version? Could you send it to me and I`ll tell you temperature shutdown values for this FW? On previous FW it was 112 degrees on chip in 60 seconds period.

Do you have a changelog for this version? Could you send it to me and I`ll tell you temperature shutdown values for this FW? On previous FW it was 112 degrees on chip in 60 seconds period.
I don't have a changelog for that version. I've not been given permission to distribute the test versions I've received for the thermal shutdown issue.

My experience is if you are in a hot + sunny environment you should unmount the dash cam and put up windshield reflectors. A 1080p camera may be able to deal with 45+C temps but a passive device dissipating 5-10W is always going to be thermally challenged.

The main camera has never overheated when I use it by-itself. Its only when I connect the rear camera for 2CH mode that it has problems. If that additional processing heat is enough to push it over the edge, I'm thinking VIOFO might have pushed the margins a bit too much when designing it.

Correct, 1-channel parking mode still works (outdoor temp ~ 33-40°C) but it very hot and the dashcam will die soon (or lost focus).
2/3-channel parking mode last 1-1.5 hours only for hot enviroments.
Solution: modding a fan+heatsink. My modded A229 Pro still works in 3-channel parking mode (after 3 hours, outdoor temp ~33-36°C, on-chip temp ~78-82°C at max).

My A139 2CH is the same, it only runs for 1-1.5 hours when the outdoor temp hits 30°C

I suspect in 1CH mode it might last better,

I will be experimenting with some static cling tint but I reckon this will only help a bit, it might stop sun shining on the body, but won't help if the interior temperature is too high

Correct, 1-channel parking mode still works (outdoor temp ~ 33-40°C) but it very hot and the dashcam will die soon (or lost focus).
2/3-channel parking mode last 1-1.5 hours only for hot enviroments.
Solution: modding a fan+heatsink. My modded A229 Pro still works in 3-channel parking mode (after 3 hours, outdoor temp ~33-36°C, on-chip temp ~78-82°C at max).
The images you posted of your cooling mod are actually one of the things that drew my interest to this thread. I have started considering something like that myself but have been too busy with life/work to give it a try. For the moment I'm gonna try dropping the camera's resolutions and see if that has any affect on this problem.

It seems that parking mode has the fixed resolutions for cameras. Hope that Viofo will release the firmware that can turn off rear camera (same as interior camera) in this mode.

Back