A229 Pro/Plus New Firmware

One of the challengesI have seen throughout what is this firmware #20 now. When your headlights are shining at the license plate the dash camera A229 Pro will not pick up license plate.

Anyone else seeing this? The A229 Pro does make an effort to pick up license plates when driving towards them in oncoming traffic but still does not really pick up license plates at night well in my opinion.

One of the challengesI have seen throughout what is this firmware #20 now. When your headlights are shining at the license plate the dash camera A229 Pro will not pick up license plate.

Anyone else seeing this? The A229 Pro does make an effort to pick up license plates when driving towards them in oncoming traffic but still does not really pick up license plates at night well in my opinion.
I think this is still an already discussed problem with US license plates.
Because, as we can clearly see with the help of our collegue @Karagandinez , in Europe the visibility of the license plates it's quite very good.
So, I think the Starvis 2 maybe still isn't enough for the US license plates? Regardless of the future firmwares...

Attachments

• A229 Pro_5.jpg
    A229 Pro_5.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 34
  • A229 Pro_4.jpg
    A229 Pro_4.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 33
  • A229 Pro_3.jpg
    A229 Pro_3.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 30
  • A229 Pro_2.jpg
    A229 Pro_2.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 29
  • A229 Pro_1.jpg
    A229 Pro_1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

The only example I can find from my 24-Nov-2023 nighttime footage is when my car is behind a car at a stoplight. As I approach the car, my car's headlights are mostly below the license plate area. When the light changes, my car headlights end up fully shining on the license plate of that car.

The A229 Pro, A229 Plus and A139 Pro all capture the plate "well" when my car's headlights are just below the license plate. The A229 Pro and A139 Pro still continue to capture the plate with my car's headlights fully shining on the license plate, but the A229 Plus does not do as well as the others in that situation. In the A229 Plus plate capture, you can still make out the license plate letters/numbers, but it's not a good as the other two.

1701075800026.png 1701075849633.png

I think something might be wrong with the new 1116 firmware for the rear camera.
Also, because of the angle of the rear window on my car the rear camera REALLY needs a CPL Filter.
Check out that J.J. Abrams lens flare.

I think something might be wrong with the new 1116 firmware for the rear camera.
Also, because of the angle of the rear window on my car the rear camera REALLY needs a CPL Filter.
Check out that J.J. Abrams lens flare.

Here's what my A229 Pro rear camera captured while driving on a local freeway along with what an A119 Mini 2 with a CPL on the rear window captured.

viofo_a229_pro_3ch_2023_1124_181017_R.MP4_snapshot_00.21.png viofo_a119_mini2_20231124181017_000658.MP4_snapshot_00.21.png

Here's what my A229 Pro rear camera captured while driving on a local freeway along with what an A119 Mini 2 with a CPL on the rear window captured.
Did you see any crazy headlight flicker like my video?

Did you see any crazy headlight flicker like my video?
No, I did not see car headlights flickering. I did have a business sign "flickering" that all three dash cameras picked up (front and rear) A229 Pro, A139 Pro and A229 Plus. You can see that flickering "Massage" sign at 3:44 in my comparison video (front camera).

I “assumed” the camera’s resolving capability was evenly distributed throughout the entire frame.

from what i understand, center low is the area used for measuring the light, and therefore setting the exposure time (and HDR). resolution is the same all over the view.

Aftermarket LED headlights perhaps? I think we have probably all seen dashcam footage (what's that? :D ) where traffic lights and rear tail lights typically LED ones seem to flicker, so could be same thing. I might check my footage from last night, though driving conditions were not exactly great.

One other question as this is a firmware thread. Do settings get reset after a firmware upgrade or a format of the card (through the app on iOS) Specifically, do the mirroring and rotation options get reset? I noticed before my drive home the rear cam image was upside down, and it was fine before the upgrade, and think I did check it post upgrade too, maybe some quirk? I'll keep an eye on it too.

...I think we have probably all seen dashcam footage (what's that? :D ) where traffic lights and rear tail lights typically LED ones seem to flicker, so could be same thing...
Yep, I can usually see at least one example in just about every clip I check if I bother to look for it. LED and fluorescent lights can both cause the effect.

Aftermarket LED headlights perhaps?
I have aftermarket LED bulbs in my car that is used to gather all my test footage.
Some LED’s headlights flicker, some don’t.
I also have an LED Light Bar installed behind my grill.
The LED Light Bar only illuminates when I activate my high beams.
Here are the bulbs;

Here is the LED Light Bar;

Low Beams, then High Beams
Low Beam .png
High Beam .png

Here’s the video showing the high beams in action;

I have aftermarket LED bulbs in my car that is used to gather all my test footage.
Some LED’s headlights flicker, some don’t.
I also have an LED Light Bar installed behind my grill.
The LED Light Bar only illuminates when I activate my high beams.
Here are the bulbs;

Here is the LED Light Bar;

Low Beams, then High Beams
View attachment 69440
View attachment 69441

Here’s the video showing the high beams in action;
Yeah had same issue with flickering on my headlights, needed resistors to be fitted to fix

Option 3: to make parking mode work on usb power. I already have the hardwire kit but the parking mode on usb works better for me.
Anyway it would be nice for others to confirm if they have this issue with the new firmware.
I have the issue with the new firmware update, but then again I had the same issue with previous firmwares. When I had the A139 Pro, it would go into parking mode at about 5 minutes. I have a Cellink battery B that I had them powered from. Apparently a decision was made by Viofo to require the A229 Pro HK kit for parking mode ☹️ I just received a replacement for the A229 Pro from the dealer, but unfortunately is exhibiting the same issue. I was baseing this warranty replacement due to my experience with the A139 Pro, why would it be any different! It was great when parking mode worked off of the GPS! I have a new Cellink power 8 battery pack and the apparently required HK kit coming, so that parking mode will work. We shall see

Addendum: Today I tried a setting “enter parking mode timer”, It was set to off, I changed it to 90 seconds. I figured nothing to lose, I was surprised that the parking mode worked as it should! I set out for a drive to confirm, it indeed works. I’m not sure why because as I read in the instructions that it will not work if using an external battery which I am. I am using a Cellink battery B that was originally wired for a blackview cam with the power being plugged into a cigarette lighter female plug that I have under the dash. I have it wrapped with electrical tape that keeps it from coming out of the plug. You know come to think of it, this could have been hardwired to the fuse panel, can’t remember, I will check in the morning…..Looking further, I probably should have moved this to a different place, I don’t want to hijack the thread! Sorry.

Hello, I am new to the forums and trying to find instructions on updating firmware.
I recently purchased the A229 Pro 2ch, with the hardwire kit and micro SD card.
I assume there should not be a difference between the A229 Pro 3ch.

I am trying to find information on how to DIY the hardwire kit, but I may go to a professional installer.

I wondered if I should use the VIOFO SD card or Samsung Pro Endurance.
I recently also found the Samsung Pro Ultimate and was trying to determine if it was better than the Samsung Pro Endurance.

Thanks for any recommendations/suggestions/info you may give.

Hello, I am new to the forums and trying to find instructions on updating firmware.
I recently purchased the A229 Pro 2ch, with the hardwire kit and micro SD card.
I assume there should not be a difference between the A229 Pro 3ch.

I am trying to find information on how to DIY the hardwire kit, but I may go to a professional installer.

I wondered if I should use the VIOFO SD card or Samsung Pro Endurance.
I recently also found the Samsung Pro Ultimate and was trying to determine if it was better than the Samsung Pro Endurance.

Thanks for any recommendations/suggestions/info you may give.

Instructions for updating the firmware in the provided video in the link mate

Back