A229 Pro/Plus New Firmware

For DIY of the hardwire kit, have a search on Youtube for your make and model of car and how to hardwire. I can only comment on my own experience with my 2014 Kia Forte5. I'm not the most handy type of person, but after watching a video or two I was able to run the cable and find the right fuse to use for an add-a-fuse, plus the correct way to install that add-a-fuse. Personally I found the key thing - as with most things - is to take your time and re-read the info. To be honest, running the cable to the rear cam was more of a challenge (mainly getting it through the rubber tube between the car and the hatch, it was a very tight squeeze) than the hardwire, but then I did already have the hardware for my A119 v3 in place so had a reference point,

Oh, I totally forgot, check out this section on the forum dedicated to hardwiring: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/hardwiring-and-batteries.288/

I'm currently on the latest firmware; front: V1.0_231123 and rear V1.0_231116
This'll sound odd, but CAN you downgrade the firmware to; front: V1.0_230928 and rear V1.0_230928?

If so, how? I thought it was a case of putting the firmware file for the front cam at the root of the "untitled" SD card that you would mount on a computer, then simply boot up the cam and it'd detect and upgrade. Then I'd so the same thing with the rear cam firmware. I've tried this, but for some reason the cam seems to just delete the old firmware file and does not try to install it. Am I doing something wrong? Is it anything to do with the format of the card being changed with the new firmware - going from, I think, FAT32 to exFAT - or am I missing something.

I want to downgrade to validate an issue I'm seeing with the rotate image option for the rear cam in the latest firmware. I have footage from the prior firmware, but I'd like to properly validate things to make sure I'm not missing something

thanks!

This'll sound odd, but CAN you downgrade the firmware to; front: V1.0_230928 and rear V1.0_230928?

If so, how? I thought it was a case of putting the firmware file for the front cam at the root of the "untitled" SD card that you would mount on a computer, then simply boot up the cam and it'd detect and upgrade. Then I'd so the same thing with the rear cam firmware. I've tried this, but for some reason the cam seems to just delete the old firmware file and does not try to install it. Am I doing something wrong? Is it anything to do with the format of the card being changed with the new firmware - going from, I think, FAT32 to exFAT - or am I missing something.

I want to downgrade to validate an issue I'm seeing with the rotate image option for the rear cam in the latest firmware. I have footage from the prior firmware, but I'd like to properly validate things to make sure I'm not missing something

thanks!
I haven't tried downgrading the firmware on the A229 Pro. But if I have a problem with the firmware of any model,
a memory card up to 32GB formatted in FAT32 helps.

I haven't tried downgrading the firmware on the A229 Pro. But if I have a problem with the firmware of any model,
a memory card up to 32GB formatted in FAT32 helps.

Thank you, I'll give that a try and see what happens.

thanks!
Are you sure you’re not just reloading the same firmware?
Does it appear to load the firmware (flashing leds) or does it simply boot normally?

I'm pretty certain I put the older firmware on there. I did not see flashing LED's just the power (far left LED) as it turned on and booted normally.

I've got the new card set up and confirmed I've copied the older firmware on there, so we'll give it a try and see what happens,

Nigel said it might be the car's headlights are the problem.
I think he's right.
Hello,
I think these are LED's with PWM function to adjust their brightness, ( as some cars use the same LED's for tail light as for brake lights) we do not see it with the naked eye but the dashcams do capture this because of their "bitrate".
i ordered mine at Viofo NL two weeks ago, still nothing .... :-(

Regarding light flicker. There are sensors out there that are designed to mitigate this problem.
2 years ago the IMX490 has LFM and more recently IMX424.

Perhaps the processor running everything doesn't support these features?

It looks like the IMX4nn range is designed for cars and the IMX6nn more suitable to CCTV?

Flicking lights are usually associated with LEDs as it does two things 1. Increases brightness 2. Reduces power consumption for the given light output.
It may also extend the life of the LED but this really depends on how hard it is pushed at / or above its specifications.

In regards to road signs.
Updated this post for clarity.
I do want to read them and it is important.
Reading number plates requires a lot of processing power and camera technology that just isn't cheap at the current time.

Next time you are near a cop car with number plate reading capabilities have a look at the size of the unit and that's only the bit that's on the outside of the car.
1705132803042.png
For some reason it seems everyone is keen to have HDR.
Gamers can't help themselves they have to have it. But that's on the monitor as they aren't using a camera as part of the game so it is different however it looks like that mind set has come to the Dashcam world.

@Vortex Radar recently did an interview with blackvue and they said in that interview they intend to bring out a Dashcam without HDR ... I can hear the screams of horror lol.
Edit update:
Here is the video segment I am referring to. It starts at the point of interest.

With the road signs if I can't prove the road sign said 180 for example then how will I beat the fine? Rhetorical question.

Or the person who got run over/pushed but we'll never know because it's all just a blur.
When you attempt to describe to the police what you witnessed, how would you convey the details with just this still shot? Good luck
A229  Pro person on road blurred.png
Number plates are only a small part of the whole deal.

Last edited:
I'd rather have 15fps with very sharp snapshots

Is this a software limitation? AFAIK older models have 60 fps mode when HDR is off.

I already updated to the v1.2_240227 firmware. But I found this version makes GPS very hard to coneect than brfore any version.

Back