A229 Pro Test & Review PP

It's "almost" a waste of gasoline driving around gathering test footage when the firmware & image quality is going to change drastically in the coming weeks.
If I had money to waste of gasoline I might, but I won't.
Sorry for the delay.
Don't have to waste gasoline in my electric car
But I may change to Hybrid

I just got done installing / rewiring my current setup for the next “driving” test footage session.
On the front windshield left to right, (sitting in car) is the;
A229 Pro
A139 Pro
A119 Mini 2
A229 Plus
I tried to mount the A229 Plus next to the A229 Pro but, it was blocking my view of the road too much.
On the rear window is the;
A229 Pro Rear
A119 Mini 1, (I’ll swap to Mini 2 as needed)

1.) Outside  .jpg
2.) Inside .jpg

At the top of Driver & Passenger A-Pillars are both remote cameras from the A139 Pro.
I have them situated so I can easily swap them out for the IR Interior cameras from both the A229 Pro & A229 Plus.
I’ve come to absolutely love the dual “diagonal rearward” POV that works well to show highway merging, changing lanes, etc.

3.) Driver Side POV .png
4.) Passenger Side POV .png

Now’s the time I start getting a little stressed about matching the alignment of all the cameras so they have identical 50/50 road/sky.
@Mtz has drilled it into me this is imperative for comparing camera vs. camera.
Hopefully when @viofo releases their new smartphone APP it will have the superimposed 50/50 line on the live view to make it easier to gather test footage like this.
It’s also difficult getting the cameras back where they were when installing / removing the CPL Filter for day / night footage.

Now I just need to re-clean all 8 windows inside, and out and I’ll be ready to go.
Oh wait, I still need firmware for the A229 Pro & A229 Plus.
I guess I will hurry up, and wait. Lol

Attachments

• 5.) Trim Pieces  .jpg
    5.) Trim Pieces .jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 6.) Five 20AWG USB Type-C Cable .jpg
    6.) Five 20AWG USB Type-C Cable .jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 19
I have always used audio recording, and i of course want it to be as good as possible, but really i dont use it much i have to admit.
In case of a event, i would of course leave power on and door window down or door open, probably window open if i can CUZ door open + power = annoying bing bong - beep - beep alarm from the car.
I would then hope to capture incriminating audio, maybe even threats, and any talking i would of course want to do near my car for this reason.
I will also try to put my phone in audio recorder mode just to be safe.

When I was faffing with the USB Type-C Power Cables for the;
A229 Duo
A229 Plus
A229 Pro
I discovered not only are they all 20AWG, but they all have the same “part number / manufacturing code”
E495995 - 2464
This means if an existing A229 Duo user upgrades to the A229 Pro / A229 Plus they might be able to reuse the “old” power cable that is already installed in the headliner.
But do this at your own risk of power starvation / recording malfunctions.
I learned this the hard way last year when I tried to reuse the existing power cable I already had installed from the A119 Mini for the A229 Duo.
The A119 Mini, (and Mini 2) power cable is only 22AWG, so I was having intermittent boot up cycles, and power starvation issues even though I was using the included Viofo Dual USB CLA charger.

I really wish @viofo would make all USB power cables the same, (20AWG).
It’s usually the case a new user buys a budget A119 series, and after a year they like it so much they upgrade to a 2-Channel Viofo model.
And they reuse the power cable already installed in the car.
Using the smaller 22AWG power cable with a power hungry 2-Channel will almost always result in power starvation issues / recording malfunctions.
The user will most likely blame the camera, saying this thing is junk, and return the 2-Channel camera.

2.) A229 Duo .jpg
3.) A229 Plus .jpg
4.) A229 Pro .jpg

Attachments

• 1.) Three 229's .jpg
    1.) Three 229's .jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 1
20AWG all around would be nice, but i think this is one parameter to make money on at least the more budget oriented models.

But as seen so often with many products, not least electronics, you can actually destroy a product, or put a severe dent in your brand name, with a single too cheap component, who dont remember the Samsung TV debacle years ago where 1 cheap CAP was to blame for their TVs dying faster than anyone would like, and the whole planned obsolescence debate really picked up speed.

On the flip side you can also make too good a product, there is a story here at least that in the old days Mercedes made their cars too well, so they pretty much lasted forever, which of course mean that people did not replace their car CUZ the old one just work.

Last edited:
Any idea about the AED parking recording resolution for this new A229 Pro? Apologies if I missed out. Would be great if @viofo @VIOFO-Support could let us choose our own resolution (they did once change the AED parking resolution for A129 pro to 1080P then ended at 2k if I recall it correctly.) That lower the heat tremendously and I do not face any shut down due to heat thereafter. I foresee more heat from this A229 pro since its in 3ch (and yes I would like to get the 3ch). The official distributor (at least he claimed so) at my area claimed they do not bring in A139 pro due to heat issue.

Anyway, looking forward to get it from the official distributor to enjoy some localise after sale service.

Compared to all other heat testing I’ve done on Viofo dash cams these temps are “normal”.
We’ll have to wait till next year to see if parking mode in a hot car makes the LCD screen go all whackadoo like the original A229 Duo.

Last edited:
Any idea about the AED parking recording resolution for this new A229 Pro?
My testing found that the AED, Time-Lapse and Low Bitrate parking modes all reduce the front camera resolution to 2560x1440 when in parking mode. In include that info in my power consumption charts in my review thread.

A229 Pro Rear vs. A119 Mini 2 - HDR Comparison @viofo @VIOFO-Support
Edited with iMovie on iPhone SE 2020
It only gives the option of 1080P, or 4K render, (no 2K option).
A229 Pro Firmware: 1009 + 0928
A119 Mini 2 Firmware: 0912
HDR: On (both)
Bitrate: Maximum (both)
CPL Filter: Off
Image Sensor: (IMX675) both

View attachment 68683

Ok, Where do I send the Guns'n'Roses CD too...lol

Any idea about the AED parking recording resolution for this new A229 Pro?

Now’s the time I start getting a little stressed about matching the alignment of all the cameras so they have identical 50/50 road/sky.
@Mtz has drilled it into me this is imperative for comparing camera vs. camera.
Hopefully when @viofo releases their new smartphone APP it will have the superimposed 50/50 line on the live view to make it easier to gather test footage like this.
It’s also difficult getting the cameras back where they were when installing / removing the CPL Filter for day / night footage.
@Panzer Platform

I also think that the application should have the correct visual guide.

For now, to center my screenshots, when watching live images with 2 and 3 cameras from the application, I select the rear camera small and the front camera large, and the lower right corner of the small image coincides with the middle of the front camera image. On a flat road, I adjusted the farthest point of the road to be in the lower right corner of the rear camera image, that is, in the middle of the front camera. I hope it is understood.

I hope it is understood.
Yes, I think so.
But this won't work for 1-CH camera.
For now I aim for the "horizon line" to be in the middle of the Live View APP.
My definition of the "horizon line" is where the earth meets outer space. lol

Last edited:
Yes, I think so.
But this won't work for 1-CH camera.
For now I aim for the "horizon line" to be in the midle of the Live View APP.
My definition of the "horizon line" is where the earth meets outer space. lol
As I mentioned above, I also vote for it to be implemented.
If you just need to find an alternative solution, as I mentioned above, it is a useful solution for those with 2 and 3 cameras.

If you were living in a mountainous area, it could be quite difficult to compare it with the sky.
You can still try the situation I mentioned. There's no harm in trying.

Keep in mind when operating the A229 Pro with the IR Interior camera the Bitrate drops from approximately 57 Mbps to 35 Mbps.
How big of a difference is this, wondering if i should get the 2ch or 3ch, not sure if i need an interior camera but if the drop in video quality is large then i'll just get the 2ch.

How big of a difference is this, wondering if i should get the 2ch or 3ch
Whatever you decide, protect yourself by purchasing from a retailer with 30-Day return policy & free return shipping.
Viofo.com return policy is 3-Days, and the customer pays return shipping cost to Hong Kong.

1 .png

The difference in Bitrate will make the difference between capturing legible evidence, and not.
@rcg530 demonstrated this with the A139 Pro in 1-CH / 2-CH / 3-CH configurations.
See the demonstration at 16:54 in this video;

A139 Pro 1-CH vs. 3-CH .png

If it were my money I would buy the 3-CH because it’s only $30 more when purchased as a 3-CH, (purchasing the IR Interior camera separately is $70).
But, I would only use the IR Interior camera during parking mode because the front camera will automatically drop to 2K resolution & Low Bitrate when in parking mode.
During normal “driving” recording mode I would disconnect the IR Interior camera by pulling the 3.5mm jack connector from the front / main unit just enough to disconnect it to fully restore the front camera’s 57 Mbps Bitrate.

Keep in mind the A229 Pro’s night time HDR performance on the Front & Rear cameras is currently substandard to the A139 Pro & A119 Mini 2, and not acceptable in my opinion.
Viofo is currently working on a firmware update to fix the night time HDR performance.
By the time the A229 Pro is available on Amazon US, (est. 11/6/23) I’m hoping the firmware update will be available.
-Chuck

How big of a difference is this, wondering if i should get the 2ch or 3ch, not sure if i need an interior camera but if the drop in video quality is large then i'll just get the 2ch.

I have two of the A229 Pro, two channel with the IR camera being the second channel, and my take at the moment, is to wait. VIOFO have hobbled the Starvis 2 quite a bit, possibly due to heat, I am not sure. However, with the current firmware version and the reduced video rates at 2 channel, the camera is not a good value at present. Perhaps if VIOFO makes FW and future hardware changes in the camera, then possibly I could suggest the camera.

Understandably VIOFO is attempting to get the best value from their product by using existing moulds for the wedge design, ( I prefer the wedge ), but quite frankly, the wedge design is poorly suited for this Starvis 2 sensor due to heating and convective cooling.

reduced video rates at 2 channel,
The front camera’s reduced Bitrate is ONLY with the IR Interior camera.
The front camera maintains is full 57 Mbps Bitrate with the REAR camera.
This is because the REAR camera has it’s own processor.

Whatever you decide, protect yourself by purchasing from a retailer with 30-Day return policy & free return shipping.
Viofo.com return policy is 3-Days, and the customer pays return shipping cost to Hong Kong.
THIS!

3 days is not enough time to use and test anything to my liking, imo. (especially since for me, a package may sit in my buildings locked package room for a day or 2 before i can get it.)
Not sure why it is so short time period direct from the manufacture, but, it is.

The difference in Bitrate will make the difference between capturing legible evidence, and not.
@rcg530 demonstrated this with the A139 Pro in 1-CH / 2-CH / 3-CH configurations.
See the demonstration at 16:54 in this video;

View attachment 68828
That's a pretty big difference, unplugging the interior camera for driving is a good idea (y)

The front camera’s reduced Bitrate is ONLY with the IR Interior camera.
The front camera maintains is full 57 Mbps Bitrate with the REAR camera.
This is because the REAR camera has it’s own processor.

Compared to available rates for other VIOFO dash cams, the A229 Pro is hobbled. People will argue if the additional bit-rates are necessary, experts on this site are a dime a dozen. Different windshields, environments, time of use, and probably more issues will drive what will work better for one user and perhaps not another. The bit-rates are likely hobbled due to heat and due to the fact that every bit-rate will generate additional keyboard time with the FW to 'fix' the wants and needs of the user base. Using only 3 bit-rates reduces that keyboard time and helps the designer to chassis build for a known heat value produced by the sensor. At present, the heat sink butts up against the back of the GPS module, it will be interesting to see how many of these units go teats up when facing a Texas summer.

By using the 3,5mm jack for the IR camera they have built obsolescence into the A229 and its IR camera. This was done I suspect to reuse the existing chassis base. The world has gone to USB-C and VIOFO goes to 3,5mm jacks. The firmware at the moment is lacking, but, I knew that when I ordered the two dash cams, so no personal complaints on that aspect. However, there are at present, enough negatives about the dash cam that I would not suggest it to anyone at all. Better to wait a year, or less, and see what new Starvis 2 chassis comes up from VIOFO or a competitor. VIOFO is at a stage where they need to up their game or go home. Invest or get out. If they are going to use new technology then the chassis and FW needs to support that technology fully.

I just finished “super cleaning” all my window glass, (front, rear, all sides) inside & out.
I might gather daytime test footage tomorrow.
I’ve got ‘em clean as possible, with no streaks or smudges.
All those little white specs are rock chips.
My car is a 2004 model year with 163K Miles, and it still has the original windshield.
During the daytime the rock chips are almost invisible in the recorded footage.
But at night whenever I pass under street lamps they become visible on recorded footage.

1.) Windshield .jpg
2.) Windshield .jpg

I thought I would take a stab at matching all 4 camera lenses with the same 50/50 road & sky “horizon line”.
I think I failed miserably. @Mtz
I usually do this outside during the daytime using the actual horizon.
I sure wish @viofo would release the new smartphone APP with superimposed alignment lines on the Live View to make this job easier.

3a.) Alignment Lines .jpg
3.) A229 Pro .png
4.) A139 Pro .png
5.) A119 Mini 2 .png
6.) A229 Plus .png

Last edited:
Back