A229 Pro Test & Review PP

Audio is 50% of recorded evidence.
Video is the other 50%.
Situations on the road are different.
A recorded conversation is not always intended for prying ears.
There are no strict rules for setting settings. Everything is individual.
Resolution, bitrate, audio recording on/off....

Audio is 50% of recorded evidence.
Video is the other 50%.

Situations on the road are different.
A recorded conversation is not always intended for prying ears.
There are no strict rules for setting settings. Everything is individual.

It depends on the situation. It's also a personal preference.

I prefer recording audio but I don't necessarily agree that "Audio is 50% of recorded evidence". CCTV cameras for example rarely record audio yet they are extremely effective in providing security and recording evidence.

It depends on the situation. It's also a personal preference.

I prefer recording audio but I don't necessarily agree that "Audio is 50% of recorded evidence". CCTV cameras for example rarely record audio yet they are extremely effective in providing security and recording evidence.
Laws for audio recording also vary from state to state, country to country.
Some states here, it is illegal to record audio unless there is explicit consent from both parties.
Covert recording can count as a felony in some places.
"expectation of privacy" is a legal thing whos definition and application varies widely. Cases/lawsuit go on for years battling it out to determine if audio evidence is to be included or if it violates some law or the other person being recorded rights.

Here’s why I keep saying the A229 Pro & A229 Plus Rear HDR is unacceptable, (Front is just as bad).
@viofo @VIOFO-Support @safedrivesolutions @rcg530 @Vortex Radar

A229 Pro Firmware: 1009 + 0928
A119 Mini 2 Firmware: 0912
HDR: On (both)
Bitrate: Maximum (both)
CPL Filter: Off
Image Sensor: (IMX675) both

Vehicle headlights, lamp posts, and illuminated road sign are overexposed.
Even the Moon, (53% Waxing Gibbous).

A229 Pro Rear  .png
A119 Mini 2 .png

Here’s the videos;

Attachments

• Waxing Gibbous 53% .jpg
    Waxing Gibbous 53% .jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 11
Laws for audio recording also vary from state to state, country to country.
Some states here, it is illegal to record audio unless there is explicit consent from both parties.
Covert recording can count as a felony in some places.
"expectation of privacy" is a legal thing whos definition and application varies widely. Cases/lawsuit go on for years battling it out to determine if audio evidence is to be included or if it violates some law or the other person being recorded rights.

Yes, expectation of privacy laws need to be considered. Some dash cams even come with stickers you can apply to your dashboard that warn that audio recording is taking place. Personally, when I have passengers I inform them that the cameras are recording. Most people don't seem to have a problem with it but if they do I accommodate them.

caution.jpg

warning.jpeg

Here’s why I keep saying the A229 Pro & A229 Plus Rear HDR is unacceptable, (Front is just as bad).

View attachment 68677
View attachment 68678

Here’s the videos;

You don't wanna know what I'm waxing ;)

View attachment 68677
View attachment 68678

Here’s the videos;

Yeaaaa... The A119 Mini 2 just can't be beat!
It has been out longer though, so more time for them to refine it.
Glad i chose it for front and rear, instead of these new higher models with 2/3 channels.

I hope VIOFO refines the A229 Pro and other high models. They seem to have the potential to be just as good, or better than the A119 Mini2.
But seeing the samples testers here been posting, not all impressed with these "Pro" model.
They have quite abit of work to do.

A229 Pro Rear vs. A119 Mini 2 - HDR Comparison @viofo @VIOFO-Support
Edited with iMovie on iPhone SE 2020
It only gives the option of 1080P, or 4K render, (no 2K option).

Split Screen Edit .png

Everyday I’ve been checking the Viofo website to see if they have released their “optional accessory” 1M short cable for the A229 Pro & A229 Plus REAR camera, and the “optional accessory” 6M long cable for the IR Interior camera.
Because I want to mount the rear camera on the same window as the front / main unit, and I’m dreading coiling up 6M of cable in my headliner.
Also that can’t be good for EMI / RFI video interference, (not sure what it’s called).
I was informed they are currently making it, and they will release it when available.

Anyways, I noticed they now offer the Rear & IR Interior cameras as optional, or replacements.
After seeing the prices, it might be a good idea to just buy the 3-CH version of the camera in the first place because it’s only $30 more.
But, if you purchased the 2-CH Rear, and then decided you want the IR Interior it’s going to cost you an additional $40 to buy it ala cart.
Keep in mind when operating the A229 Pro with the IR Interior camera the Bitrate drops from approximately 57 Mbps to 35 Mbps.
The Rear camera does not drop the Bitrate of the front camera in 2-CH configuration because it has it’s own processor just like the A129 Plus Duo.

1 .png
2 .png

Interesting. I've actually got a couple of usb-c to usb-c cables recently, due to the new iPhone's being usb-c. I might try one of them when my the new cam arrives. obviously I'll try the official cable first, but I agree it would be handy to have a spare on hand if it were needed
Just following up on my own comment above.
I tired the UGREEN 100W USB C to USB C Cable PD Type C Cable Fast Charge (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B08D6NCQ1Z) didn't work as a rear cable for the A229Pro. It does work for data transfer and power when I have my iPhone hooked up to my mac.

I also tried the cable from my external drive, same issue, did not work with the A229 Pro to rear cam.

I recall VIOFO mentioning there was something special about their rear cable, maybe they changed pin-outs on it?

Last edited:
I recall VIOFO mentioning there was something special about their rear cable
I’ve been tempted to buy these for $13.
They would be perfect, (1 Meter, right angle, Qty. 2 one for Pro, one for Plus)
But, I just can’t pull the trigger.
I wish I had $13 to waste.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B09496MP7D
Just between me, you, and the fence post I tried the rear camera cable from my Vantrue S1 Pro, and it worked, (also Type-C to Type-C).
But, don’t tell anyone. Lol

1 .png

Just following up on my own comment above.
I tired the UGREEN 100W USB C to USB C Cable PD Type C Cable Fast Charge (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B08D6NCQ1Z) didn't work as a rear cable for the A229Pro. It does work for data transfer and power when I have my iPhone hooked up to my mac.

I also tried the cable from my external drive, same issue, did not work with the A229 Pro to rear cam.

I recall VIOFO mentioning there was something special about their rear cable, maybe they changed pin-outs on it?
Seems like they have locked down the data portion of the cable. Bummer but I guess they have to make money somehow so I totally get that.

In this post I would like to compare the Horizontal FOV of the Front, Rear, and Interior camera.
The A229 Pro 3-CH has a specification of 140° + 160° + 150° + FOV.

View attachment 68409
View attachment 68452
I updated my work bench with more wallpaper, and a ruler.
I’m hoping the additional wallpaper will help identify focus issues.
I’m hoping the ruler will make it easier taking measurements.
I adjusted the distance of my platform jig so the camera lens is 50 centimeters from the wall.
Shoutout to @Karagandinez and @gse for helping me with that.
I made a new platform jig because @Nigel suggested the camera lens should be the same height as the ruler.
The jig is now 11 inches tall, the same height as the bottom of the ruler.
The center of the lens is the same hight as the center of the ruler.
I made sure the jig was “square” with a level, if the image looks "tilted" it’s possible the lens in not “aligned”.

View attachment 68410

Here are the Horizontal measurements in the center of the recorded footage;
Front: 148.5cm
Rear: 143.5cm
Interior: 180cm
Interior LED’s On: 80cm
Shoutout to @DT MI for telling me about Right Triangle Calculator, and @rcg530 for helping me understand it.
Now that we know the Horizontal measurement, and the distance from the lens to the wall we can calculate each camera’s Horizontal AOV.

Here are the “true” Horizontal AOV’s;
Front: 112°
Rear: 110°
Interior: 122°
Interior LED’s On: 84°

Looking at the screenshots three things stand out to me;
1.) The Front camera is “wider” than the Rear camera despite their specifications.
2.) It looks like the Front camera might be out of focus on the far right side.
3.) When I turn off my garage lights, and the Interior IR LED emitters illuminate the AOV is reduced, and a lot of information is lost on the sides of the image.
I wonder how the A139 Pro IR Interior camera will compare since it has 6 IR LED emitters, instead of the 4 on the A229 Pro.
I guess I will test the A139 Pro 3-CH next.

View attachment 68411
View attachment 68412
View attachment 68413
View attachment 68414
Ok i have looked through 12 pages in this thread and haven't found you driving during the day with the A229 Pro.

Of course it could be in one of the next 5 pages but i figured I'd ask.
I had a look at both your channels and couldn't find one there either.

Did i miss it?

Cheers

Ok i have looked through 12 pages in this thread and haven't found you driving during the day with the A229 Pro.

Screenshot 2023-10-24 2.11.45 AM.png
I've delayed getting "driving" test footage for the A229 Pro & A229 Plus because their firmware is unacceptable for a camera that's been released to the public.
It's "almost" a waste of gasoline driving around gathering test footage when the firmware & image quality is going to change drastically in the coming weeks.
If I had money to waste of gasoline I might, but I won't.
Sorry for the delay.

View attachment 68714
I've delayed getting "driving" test footage for the A229 Pro & A229 Plus because their firmware is unacceptable for a camera that's been released to the public.
It's "almost" a waste of gasoline driving around gathering test footage when the firmware & image quality is going to change drastically in the coming weeks.
Sorry for the delay.

All good not a problem.

Damn, that's what I thought might have been the reason.

Cheers

View attachment 68714
Sorry for the delay.
GoFundMe for Chuck's medical/gasoline costs coming soon.

Viofo has released the long versions of the Rear & IR Interior cables for the A229 Pro & A229 Plus.
The Rear camera cable is now available in 8M & 10M lengths to accommodate larger vehicles.
The IR Interior cable is now available in 6M length to accommodate installing the IR Interior camera in the rear of the vehicle, or mounting the front / main unit on the back window, and mounting the IR Interior camera on the front window.
I know that sounds strange, but people have asked me about this configuration in my Viofo Review Videos.
This is much welcome addition to the available accessories.
The only thing missing now is the short 1M cable for the Rear camera.

Rear .png
IR Interior .png

Back