A229 Pro Test & Review PP

I think that's the distance across the street.
Ahh, maybe the street plus the garage, to where the test rig is located?

What was the reason for choosing 27m?
I think that's the distance across the street.
Correct.
Photo 1 shows the location of the test rig.
Photo 2 shows the garage door partially open.
Photo 3 shows downrange.
The test rig is directly in line with the Blue BMW 3 Series.
The license plate of the BMW is 28 Meters from the test rig according to my laser rangefinder, (CIGMAN CT-1000).
I’ll be going over the recorded test footage as spoon as I have my morning bran flakes. lol

Attachments

• 2.) Open Sesame .png
    2.) Open Sesame .png
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • 3.) Downrange .png
    3.) Downrange .png
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • 1.) Test Rig Location .png
    1.) Test Rig Location .png
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Oops.
I was so excited to get testing I forgot to take photos of the telephoto cameras.
The cameras arrived in “bulk” packaging with no identifying box, user manual, part number, nothing, nada, zip.
I’m not sure if these are pre-production, or the final retail versions.
But I’m 99% sure these are the retail units that will be sold to customers.
We now have an LED light that reminds me of the premium units I’ve tested from Thinkware, and GNET.
Of course you will most likely want to disable the LED in the settings to conserve power in parking mode, and not attract unwanted attention.
Or not.
We get a new 60cm USB Type-C cable with 90° on both ends, (the previous rear camera had one 90° and one straight.
As far as size goes they are basically the same size as the previous rear camera, (only slightly larger by a few millimeters).
I reviewed some file sizes an they are identical to the previous rear camera.
I don’t have any proof but these appear to be the same regular rear camera with a slightly enlarged case, and of course the longer telephoto lens.
Oh yeah, each telephoto had a different firmware, good thing I checked, and updated the older one.
Keep in mind the A229 Pro & A229 Plus rear cameras have their own processor chipset built in the case.
The newest firmware in the telephoto is V1.0 240419
Can’t wait to see if the night time HDR has been improved.
We have yet another new “one off’ CPL Filter.
From 2016-2021 we had just two, (CPL-100 & CPL-200).
In the past 2 months Viofo has released 3 different CPL Filters, (CPL-300, CPL-400, and now this one CPL-500)?
It feels like they’re making Super Bowl XIV commemorative tumblers from McDonald's, gotta collect ‘em all. lol
Does this help with night videos at all? I have a slight tint and I can tell with my camera it's hard to read anything.

Does this help with night videos at all? I have a slight tint and I can tell with my camera it's hard to read anything.
What dash cam do you have?
Do you have tint on your windshield?
This video will tell you what this Telephoto camera will do;

24.6° is what I measured the Horizontal FOV to be for the new Telephoto Remote cameras for the A229 Pro & A229 Plus.
For reference I measured the Horizontal FOV of the Front camera to be 112° FOV.

View attachment 72402
View attachment 72403
View attachment 72404

Shooutout to @DAP for suggesting test patterns to check focus.
It looks like I’ll need to modify my testing jig to back off the camera a bit.

@Vortex Radar
@Nigel
@Mtz
@ogzogz
@Agie
@TonyM
@Karagandinez
@DT MI
@rcg530
@safedrivesolutions
Such a measurement is completely wrong and erroneous. The scale of the angles must be circular

Attachments

• Bez názvu.png
    Bez názvu.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 5
Such a measurement is completely wrong and erroneous. The scale of the angles must be circular
The measurement is wrong, but he corrects it using a calculator, see post #611.

Such a measurement is completely wrong and erroneous.
Incorrect.

Last edited:
A229 Pro 2-CH Telephoto - Stationary Focus Check

V1.3 240516 Front
V1.3 240514 Telephoto
https://viofo.com/blog/firmware-updates-viofo-a229-pro-a229-plus-version-v13-beta-b119.html
HDR: Off (front & telephoto)
54 Minutes After Sunrise (not ideal)

1.) Front .png
2.) Telephoto .png

Original Raw Video Files; https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13TmphUHxIUc-cBw4is72MluKLK2nq2uO?usp=sharing
So far initial focus looks OK.
Photo 3 shows the location of the test rig.
Photo 4 shows the garage door partially open.
Photo 5 shows downrange.
The test rig is directly in line with the Blue BMW 3 .
The license plate of the BMW is 28 Meters from the test rig according, measured with laser rangefinder, (CIGMAN CT-1000).

Attachments

• 5.) Downrange .png
    5.) Downrange .png
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 4.) Open Sesame .png
    4.) Open Sesame .png
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 3.) Test Rig Location .png
    3.) Test Rig Location .png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 6.) Firmware .png
    6.) Firmware .png
    96 KB · Views: 7
A229 Pro 2-CH Telephoto - Stationary Focus Check (NIGHT)

V1.3 240516 Front
V1.3 240514 Telephoto
HDR: On (front & telephoto)

1.) Front .png
2.) Telephoto .png

Original Raw Video Files (2) 12 seconds long;

So far initial focus looks OK.
Photo 3 shows the location of the test rig.
Photo 4 shows the garage door partially open.
Photo 5 shows downrange.
The test rig is directly in line with the Blue BMW.
The license plate of the BMW is 28 Meters from the test rig according, measured with laser rangefinder, (CIGMAN CT-1000).

Side Note:
1.) The only source of lighting I’m providing is two porch lights on either side of my garage door.
2.) Check out the HDR on my home security camera on the license plates.

Attachments

• 5.) Down Range .png
    5.) Down Range .png
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 4.) Open Sesame .png
    4.) Open Sesame .png
    942.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.) Test Rig Location .png
    3.) Test Rig Location .png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 6.) Firmware .png
    6.) Firmware .png
    96.2 KB · Views: 9
Yes, you're right, thank you for pointing that out.

However, for wide-angle lenses, the distance to the scale should be more than 50 cm, when there is a strong optical distortion of the scale and a possible error in the reading of the detected value
The measurement is wrong, but he corrects it using a calculator, see post #611.

Yes, you're right, thank you for pointing that out. However, for wide-angle lenses, the distance to the scale should be more than 50 cm, when there is a strong optical distortion of the scale and a possible error in the reading of the detected value

However, for wide-angle lenses, the distance to the scale should be more than 50 cm, when there is a strong optical distortion of the scale and a possible error in the reading of the detected value
Ideally, the distance should be enough for the lens to be in focus, but with a straight scale, more than 50cm is going to be somewhat impractical. Building an accurate circular scale is going to be rather time and space consuming.

I think Panzers's setup is accurate enough for comparing dashcams. Some of the dashcams have quite a lot of fisheye distortion, which means the figures are only useful for comparison of the maximum angle of view anyway, you can't sensibly calculate a "zoom factor" or anything else useful from this figure.

I think Panzer should also measure and publish the "Maximum Plate Reading Distance", for a standard EU license plate in the centre of the image, for each camera. His test rig can do that with a bit of extra maths.

standard EU license plate
Is there such a thing as “Standard EU license plate”?
If someone sent me one I would gladly add it to all my testing.
I have no idea where I could obtain a genuine “real” EU license plate.
eBay maybe?

Is there such a thing as “Standard EU license plate”?
If someone sent me one I would gladly add it to all my testing.
eBay maybe?
Most of them are the same size, with the same size characters, and the country letters or flag.

wikipedia said:
The vast majority of European countries issue registration plates that are:

• 520 by 110 mm (20.5 by 4.3 inches)
  • 520 by 120 mm (20.5 by 4.7 inches)
This is one of the basic standard sizes worldwide.

There are a few differences, it would be boring if all countries were identical!

You could choose one and print it out:

Don't choose the UK one, ours are bigger, so I won't send you mine!

Reactions: Mtz
You could choose one and print it out:
Printing it out will not be the same. A lot depends on the cover of the license plate.
In Germany this is not paint, but a special film.

eBay maybe?
Delivery of a license plate from Germany to California when purchased on eBay = 37.50€ :unsure:

Last edited:
Delivery of a license plate from Germany to California when purchased on eBay = 37.50€ :unsure:
Might be cheaper than getting the EU Panzer Plate made locally in California:

Excellent.
I'm fresh out of Euros though.
I'm very poor.
I'll wait for someone to send me one. lol

Excellent.
I'm fresh out of Euros though.
I'm very poor.
I'll wait for someone to send me one. lol
I looked how much it would cost to send a license plate from me to you...
I have a German license plate, but I’m not yet ready to pay 30€ to send it to California.

I don't think any European governments are going to be as generous to you as Viofo has been. ;)
I looked how much it would cost to send a license plate from me to you...
I have a German license plate, but I’m not yet ready to pay 30€ to send it to California.
What if we split it 4 ways to lower the cost?
10€ Karagandinez
10€ Nigel
10€ Viofo
0€ Chuck

I don't think is needed any european license plate for american tests. People already know from youtube videos that european license plates are legible in many situations. During day the total speed is not a problem, can be over 250 km/h, at night with IMX678 total speed can be about 140km/h if the cars are close and with 2K IMX675 total speed can be over 200km/h if both cars are running on the last lane. Of course at night the HDR must be enabled.

I am waiting for USA tests to see:
1. HDR - night - opposite cars on the last lane: what is the max. speed for the dashcam car to obtain legibility of registration plates. IMX678 and 2K IMX675
2. HDR - night - opposite cars with one empty lane between them: what is the max. speed for the dashcam car to obtain legibility of registration plates. IMX678 and 2K IMX675
3. HDR - night - opposite cars with two empty lanes between them: what is the max. speed for the dashcam car to obtain legibility of registration plates. IMX678 and 2K IMX675

At day can be the same questions with or without HDR.

Back