V1.3 240514 Telephoto
CPL Filter: On
HDR: ON
(8) total clips
(2) Front Unit City
(2) Front Unit Highway
(2) Rear Unit City
(2) Rear Unit Highway
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16aJqOEx-WwtUrspGI5xmxDNxCABm-opr?usp=sharing (deleted for space)
After reviewing the footage I can read most all license plates on vehicles that come within 3 Meters to 20 Meters of the telephotos.
Here’s all 8 clips uploaded to YouTube for easy viewing.

Front Unit;

Rear Unit;

Last edited:
will A229 plus work with tele photo cam ?
The rear cameras of the A229 Pro and A229 Plus are identical.
The camera with a telephoto lens replaces the rear camera of the A229 Pro, which means it should work with the A229 Plus too.

Maybe @Panzer Platform will test it for us soon, but Karagandinez is correct, and the Front camera will not know if it has a telephoto or not.

Of course the telephoto will be more effective paired with an A229 Plus, there will be twice the improvement in detail compared to the front camera that you get when paired with the A229 Pro.

HDR on the telephoto seems to be working well at night, how about during the day?

The camera with a telephoto lens replaces the rear camera of the A229 Pro, which means it should work with the A229 Plus too.
that would be good !!

i have A229 pro 3 channel in the box ready to go but im thinking using A229 plus for parking mode since rear cam and interior cam is the same i can just get A229 plus to pair up with the rear cam and interior cam out of A229 pro and pair A229 pro with tele photo cam for capturing the plates ......

that would be good !!

i have A229 pro 3 channel in the box ready to go but im thinking using A229 plus for parking mode since rear cam and interior cam is the same i can just get A229 plus to pair up with the rear cam and interior cam out of A229 pro and pair A229 pro with tele photo cam for capturing the plates ......
reason for using A229 plus in parking mode because the test result here status that it is cooler than pro and should be a better fit for longer parking mode !!

Reactions: Mtz
reason for using A229 plus in parking mode because the test result here status that it is cooler than pro and should be a better fit for longer parking mode !!
I haven’t felt the heat yet and I haven’t noticed any problems with the A229 Pro 2CH in the parking lot yet.
Perhaps there won't be any. A229 Pro reduces the bitrate and resolution while parking, and also turns off the diodes, Wi-Fi and GPS.
I think this will help him not overheat.

I haven’t felt the heat yet and I haven’t noticed any problems with the A229 Pro 2CH in the parking lot yet.
Perhaps there won't be any. A229 Pro reduces the bitrate and resolution while parking, and also turns off the diodes, Wi-Fi and GPS.
I think this will help him not overheat.
i can't wait to test it out hahhaha but its winter in australia soon probably i won't experience any over heat !!

Correct.
Maybe @Panzer Platform will test it for us
Until night time HDR performance on the A229 Plus is fixed, and performs at the same level or better than the A119 Mini 2, the A229 Plus is "dead to me".
This should have been fixed almost 9 months ago.

I tested this with a thermal imaging camera, the difference in Low Bitrate Parking mode is only 8℉ (5℃).

5.) Low Bitrate Pro .jpg6.) Low Bitrate Plus .jpg

Reactions: z24
Telephoto Pixel Peeping

Come tiptoe through the pixels with me, (Tiny Tim).
Here’s a nice example of the strengths of the Telephoto camera with a single vehicle plate capture with the black night sky in the background.
The only two vehicles on the overpass is my car, and the other motorist.
The only light source is my low beam headlights, and the headlights of the other car.
This 28 second clip just really stood out at me.
The other car is a 2016 INFINITI QX60.
Hear are the (2) original raw files to take a look, and make your own screenshots / frame grabs;
Here is the best I can do on my iPhone SE 2020;

1.) Telephoto Zoom .png
2.) Front Zoom .png

Here's the full size screenshots I used for the zoom screenshots.

3.) Telephoto .png
4.) Front .png

Here are the clips on YouTube for easy viewing;

Nice to see american cars in Romanian roads! o_O
Regarding the last two samples there was not so needed for a telephoto camera, the front camera did the job, but I consider it was a little lucky.
Screenshots from MPC-BE player with its maximum zoom of 5X.
This capture was good also because of white plate, California can be lucky if the majority of their registration plates are white.

If the incoming car has the same speed in this situation the capture was at about total speed of 90KM/H. So if the legat speed in cities is about 50km/h we can assume that if the two cars are close one to each other such Californian license plate can be legible.

After reviewing the footage I can read most all license plates on vehicles that come within 3 Meters to 20 Meters of the telephotos.
When thinking about license plates legibility there are always 3 factors, ranked by the importance:
1. LIGHT (sun or headlights. Cloudy day, sunrise, sunset are worst compared to night, don't expect legibility but only at small distance and low speed!)
2. Distance (at night the HDR is mandatory. 0 lanes between cars should bring license plates at legal speeds. 1 lane for USA is too much, for EU is still OK. 2 lanes are impossible for USA and lucky capture for EU)
3. Speed (because of HDR the speed is not so important at night. Just be sure the opposite car is close to your car and use a telephoto lens.
4. Where is the telephoto lens mounted. Look at the last screenshot and here you will see that the capture from the left car is much better than on the right car because the telephoto lens was mounted on the left part of the windshield. Based on this my advice is to mount the telephoto camera more to the left or maybe if you still want central, to use some small wedge to point the lens to the left. Of course you will lose some action from the right part, but chose what is more important for you. On the right are just very few situations when you need better legibility compared to the left (sorry UK, again!)

Attachments

• ezgif.com-animated-gif-maker (2).gif
    ezgif.com-animated-gif-maker (2).gif
    978.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2024-05-30 101320.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-30 101320.png
    1,010.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2024-05-30 101310.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-30 101310.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2024-05-30 104612.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-30 104612.png
    945.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
4. Where is the telephoto lens mounted. Look at the last screenshot and here you will see that the capture from the left car is much better than on the right car because the telephoto lens was mounted on the left part of the windshield. Based on this my advice is to mount the telephoto camera more to the left or maybe if you still want central, to use some small wedge to point the lens to the left.

Attachments

• 7 .jpg
    7 .jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 4 .jpg
    4 .jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 3 .jpg
    3 .jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2 .jpg
    2 .jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 9  .jpg
    9 .jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 8 .jpg
    8 .jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 6 .jpg
    6 .jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 5 .jpg
    5 .jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 1 .jpg
    1 .jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 15
Until night time HDR performance on the A229 Plus is fixed, and performs at the same level or better than the A119 Mini 2, the A229 Plus is "dead to me".
Even more reason to plug the telephoto into the Plus!

I think the A229 Plus HDR must be better tuned for EU plates than California plates, but that is OK, because with the California plates having text that is half the size, California requires twice the resolution, so 4K, not 2K.

Correct.

This should have been fixed almost 9 months ago.
My Man i been reading ur review on A229 pro and A229 plus im aware that the plus HDR at night is substandard
compare even to the cheapo mini2 they need to get that tune to the same standard as A229 pro.

but in my plan im gonna keep ur advice in mind and keep A229 pro with telephoto cam when ever it release in only dual channel mode so i can keep it at max bit rate while driving ..

and A229 plus will be connect up with Rear Cam and interior cam for longer parking recording !!

but in my plan im gonna keep ur advice in mind and keep A229 pro with telephoto cam when ever it release in only dual channel mode so i can keep it at max bit rate while driving ..
Screenshot 2024-05-30 4.11.30 AM.png

If there is tint on the rear window or if your vehicle's rear window is tinted from the factory, Starvis 2 will not give good results in low-light night driving.
Standard glass is better, of course. Nowadays, the number of people using standard glass is decreasing day by day. For this, water-resistant rear cameras may be useful so that the rear cameras are outside.
In addition, the rear camera performance of sedan and hatchback vehicles may differ. Reflection from the rear of the sedan can create a grainy effect on the camera. In a hatchback vehicle, it may be darker since it looks directly outwards.

When it comes to the front of the vehicle, more specific results can be obtained by testing with vehicles with halogen and LED lighting.
The halogen design also enables illumination of high areas. If it is an LED with projector, contrast occurs because the cutting line is clear.
LED is used, although it is not compatible with some vehicles with halogen headlights. and this is not suitable as a design. It will not give accurate results because the lumen value will be too high and there will be too many reflections.
There is a lot of blue light in white LED lights. A warmer image is created in halogen headlights. and this can give clearer results.

Therefore, an iq should be developed by making more configurations.

If there is tint on the rear window or if your vehicle's rear window is tinted from the factory,
I do not have aftermarket window tint, or factory window tint.
No tint.

LED is used, although it is not compatible with some vehicles with halogen headlights. and this is not suitable as a design.
Correct.
In the US aftermarket LED bulbs in traditional reflector type halogen assembly housings are not DOT Approved, and are illegal.

Back