A229 Pro, when?

Illuminate me please. I have wondered what the pro and cons were between the two. I have never really been a fan of coax.

Mini coax cables used for dash cams have a narrow diameter and are highly flexible, so they are easier to install than most USB cables. Coax offers higher bandwidth signal transmission compared to twisted pair type USB cables and are less susceptible to noise or interference (EMI or RFI) due to better shielding and their inherent design.

Both cameras are are MSRP at $329 and currently on sale on the Viofo site for $300 which is confusing me why is the newer dash cam not more expensive.
I remember reading a few days ago one of the reasons the A229 Pro is not as expensive as the A139 Pro is the Rear & IR camera Coax Cables & connections are more expensive than USB Type-C.
@Nigel can you confirm?
Either way, you may want to wait on the A229 Pro & Plus until we get to see some hands on testing here.
Oh yeah, the original A229 Duo has been around for over a year, so maybe the initial investment in the new chassis case is helping to keep the cost down of the Pro & Plus.
But, that's just a guess.

Mini coax cables used for dash cams have a narrow diameter and are highly flexible, so they are easier to install than most USB cables. Coax offers higher bandwidth signal transmission compared to twisted pair type USB cables and are less susceptible to noise or interference (EMI or RFI) due to better shielding.

Thanks! I can't dislike coax for dashcam usage as I have no experience with this arrangement but I can see where coax can be beneficial. I am presently looking for shielded or
twisted pair for power from the rear camera to the fuse box. If I go twisted pair then that affects, I would suspect, the gauge and length requirement. At present lt looks to be a max
of 18 feet one direction for wiring.

I've just put my camera in (all 3) and tbh, the coax went in place really easily. No issues with it for me.

I remember reading a few days ago one of the reasons the A229 Pro is not as expensive as the A139 Pro is the Rear & IR camera Coax Cables & connections are more expensive than USB Type-C.
@Nigel can you confirm?
That is a reasonable assumption, since USB-C connections, cables, connectors, etc. are used in vastly more equipment than coax cables are, mass production brings costs down. I think the coax cables should be a fair bit cheaper to manufacture than USB if it wasn't for the huge number of USB cables produced, the electronics should probably be a little more expensive since you have to put all the signals and power down the same wire, and then separate them at the other end, made more complex by the power going in the opposite direction to most of the data on the same wire!

It appears to me that the coax is the more reliable connection, it doesn't seem to be affected by low voltage, it is easier to install, and it has the greater transmission distance, so if 2K rear resolution is not too important, then the A139 Pro may still be considered the better dashcam and worth a little more. It could do with an HDR update to rear and cabin cameras though, and it is missing the voice control. As a negative to the coax, I believe it uses significantly more power, although that may be masked by other components of the cameras, so it can be hard to tell.

Incorrect.
Both Coax, and Type-C have their Pros & Cons.
How can it be incorrect? i made a statement "its a shame they did not use" they could of capitalised on this camera and made it nice and neat with LD cables instead the use bulky ugly ones. And while i am on a roll i myself really see nothing to get over excited about in this camera, they improved the rear cam and thought hey lets call this the pro version, they even failed to put all the connection's on one side only to make things neater.

It appears to me that the coax is the more reliable connection
The Coax connectors on my A139 Pro Rear & Interior cameras drive me crazy sometimes.
If I barley touch the rear or interior camera, or connector to adjust it the camera will say "2-Channel Recording" indicating it just lost connection, and after a few seconds it will say "3-Channel Recording".
However, the Coax connector on my original A229 Duo is much more robust, and takes great effort to disconnect.
So I like the Coax connectors on the original A229 Duo, but I do not like the ones on the A139 Pro.

Do you what size, or name of the Coax connector is called on the A139 Pro?
Is it referred to as "Mini Coax" and the A229 as "Standard Coax"?

Do you what size, or name of the Coax connector is called on the A139 Pro?
Is it referred to as "Mini Coax" and the A229 as "Standard Coax"?
I think the A139 ones are MMCX and the A229 MCX connectors. If you are going to buy a replacement then you might want to check that...

All they compare with​

Built with super slim coaxial cable and miniature connectors, A139 Pro enables more user-friendly, hidden installation and better electromagnetic interference reduction.​

1695401956734.png

I am presently looking for shielded or twisted pair for power from the rear camera to the fuse box. If I go twisted pair then that affects, I would suspect, the gauge and length requirement. At present lt looks to be a max
of 18 feet one direction for wiring.

You can buy shielded twisted pair cables in various AWG sizes. It is usually used for such things as CCTV cameras, burglar alarms, fire alarms, etc. The shielding needs to be grounded to cancel the effect of EMI on the conductors.

This article will explain.

If you do a Google search you can learn more and find many examples of what is available for purchase.

Here is one example in 18 AWG:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0BXFNWX6T

Can't wait to see some reviews and sample videos :)

In the description on the manufacturer’s website, the A229 Pro and A229 Plus have the same characteristics for the rear and interior cameras.
Does this mean they are interchangeable? Can the rear and interior cameras from the A229 Pro be used with the A229 Plus? :unsure:

In the description on the manufacturer’s website, the A229 Pro and A229 Plus have the same characteristics for the rear and interior cameras.
Does this mean they are interchangeable? Can the rear and interior cameras from the A229 Pro be used with the A229 Plus? :unsure:
You would think so....unless they want to lock users out. Perhaps makes production costs cheaper too...

Can the rear and interior cameras from the A229 Pro be used with the A229 Plus?
This is an excellent question since the A229 Pro & A229 Plus have different processors.
Ask again in 48 hours for a hands on confirmed & verified answer.
I’m tapping my foot for the Postman. lol
Oh yeah the GPS Module from the original A229 Duo is NOT compatible with the new upgraded unit from the A229 Pro & A229 Plus.
The module will provide power to the cam, but the GPS in non-functional.
I’m bursting at the seems to tell you more, but we’ve been instructed to wait.

Attachments

• 1 .png
    1 .png
    91.4 KB · Views: 12
At the moment my A229 Pro does not display the speed or GPS co-ordinates.

Paul.

Not a game changer for me, initially, but this is something they should have squared away before the cameras were offered for pre-order. I will gladly take my two
A229 Pro and put them to good use, no doubt, I am sure VIOFO will get the GPS fixed soon enough.

I am sure VIOFO will get the GPS fixed soon enough.

I reckon so m8, I've emailed Alex so hopefully the FW update might address this, or else it's the module that's not working 100%.

but this is something they should have squared away before the cameras were offered for pre-order.
Pre-order means that it is not ready for shipping yet, the issues have not all been fixed.
Since there is no indication of a date at which they will be shipped, I don't see any problem!
The current units are all pre-production and some issues should be expected.
Patience is needed... especially with all the new stuff in these new cameras, they are not just a small upgrade!

Pre-order means that it is not ready for shipping yet, the issues have not all been fixed.
Since there is no indication of a date at which they will be shipped, I don't see any problem!
Website indicates it will be before September 30.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230924_095616_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230924_095616_Chrome.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 12
Back