A229 Pro, when?

As far as North American vendors, the prices seem to be pretty consistant between vendors and the company store. You will however, get the fastest shipping from
Amazon or the brick and mortar stores. I am in the U.S. and in the past, I have found Blackboxmycar to be stellar.

CaptureYourAction will provide you with the same 2 day shipping you get from Amazon. In fact, on one occasion a package from CYA arrived within one day.

On the other hand Amazon offers the SquareTrade/AllState extended warranty for 2 years at $31 (used A139 Pro 2 ch listing to estimate warranty cost/time https://a.co/d/9Z19ndg )

I pre-ordered from Viofo and received a shipping confirmation last night. While I'd honestly prefer BBMC, I doubt they get it in before I receive mine.

Cool! That is good to know. I pre-ordered as well, so I may well get a ship notice in a few days. As I recall, it is about 15 days from China to the East Coast,
for me at least.

As far as North American vendors, the prices seem to be pretty consistant between vendors and the company store.
US Vendor for pretty much anything now all charge the same price, a form of unofficial price fixing. Used to be you could rely on a 30%-or-so discount from mail-order/web stores. Not any more - they all charge whatever the market will bear and whatever won't force them into an undercutting war. This is what we've come to!

nice to hear pre-orders are starting to ship

Is it too early to be asking about what settings to use for the Pro? :D I have my list for my A119V3, so some of that might apply to the A229 Pro front cam, but no idea of what settings one would use for the rear cam, so advice if anyone has any would be great.

If you order now, you'll receive the new model a little before it appears on Amazon.
You will also receive a branded 256GB memory card from Viofo as a gift.
When purchasing on Amazon, you will not receive a branded 256GB memory card from Viofo as a gift.
The choice is yours. No one can make a decision for you.
I didn't know what their history is when it comes to getting their inventory, but yeah the extra sd is nice which adds to the value and definitely worth pre ordering.

Dave Ramsey is not the kind of person you want to be taking financial advice from lol
Extended warranties work for some, not for others. I personally have gone through a few claims with SquareTrade and feel like it has paid for itself. I also don't like the idea of relying on a manufacturer to provide goodwill service past warranty.
Consumer Reports has been heading downwards for at least five years now.

Dave Ramsey is not the kind of person you want to be taking financial advice from lol
Extended warranties work for some, not for others. I personally have gone through a few claims with SquareTrade and feel like it has paid for itself. I also don't like the idea of relying on a manufacturer to provide goodwill service past warranty.
Consumer Reports has been heading downwards for at least five years now.

I'm not especially a fan of David Ramsey either but since Motely Fool seemed to think his advice on this particular topic was valid I figured, what the hell. Interesting that you ignore the same advice from Consumer Reports.

Do what makes you happy, it's your money.

I'm not especially a fan of David Ramsey either but since Motely Fool seemed to think his advice on this particular topic was valid I figured, what the hell. Interesting that you ignore the same advice from Consumer Reports.

Do what makes you happy, it's your money.
Ok I'm glad we were able to have a civil talk.

Ok I'm glad we were able to have a civil talk.

I've never had any good experiences with extended warranties. Most of the time I've never needed them after paying for them and so it's been a complete waste of money. This is exactly why the Extended Warranty Industry is so lucrative and why many companies try so hard to sell them to consumers.

About 8 years ago, I purchased a new Maytag refrigerator from Whirlpool who now owns them. They spent several years engaging in a high pressure campaign to sell me an extended warranty and since I had now discovered that Maytag products are no longer as reliable as they were before Whirlpool bought them out I finally relented and purchased a multi-year plan. About 7 months later the refrigerator developed a significant problem so I called them for a repair. The lady on the phone stalled at first and then after putting me on hold for awhile came back and sheepishly admitted that they do no have anyone in my area who could perform the repair. Of course, they likely knew that when they sold me the warranty but they count on most people never needing to use them after buying them. After some back and forth they finally offered to refund 3/4 of the money I originally paid for the fridge if I agreed to dispose of it and remove the serial number knowing they could have been sued for fraud and had no defense. This is basically a cheap way for major corporations like Whirlpool to keep the scam going, apparently. This was and is the last time I will ever buy an extended warranty.

The amazing thing is that I still get mailings from Maytag/Whirlpool with the same high pressure tactics trying to sell me an extended warranty for the refrigerator I agreed to dispose of years ago. The only change is that the price keeps going up with each mailing. They must earn millions of dollars on these bogus and questionable warranties they never have to service.

Last edited:
Viofo uk prices are roughly £40 more than viofo.com prices for the actual cameras

I pre-ordered from Viofo and received a shipping confirmation last night. While I'd honestly prefer BBMC, I doubt they get it in before I receive mine.
Do you know the date and time you ordered it? Trying to gauge how far back in the line I am. I thought I ordered mine close to when they opened pre-orders.

Do you know the date and time you ordered it? Trying to gauge how far back in the line I am. I thought I ordered mine close to when they opened pre-orders.

Ordered mine on 17 Sep, 2023, no ship notice yet. I don't really expect the dashcam until the second week of October anyway, so, am patiently waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't usually get excited but the release of the A229 Pro I believe will be a game changer in the Dashcam stakes.
As I don't have the A229 Pro it is the technical specifications that I'm basing this opinion on.

Starvis 2 sensors 4K IMX678 8MP for the front and IMX675 5MP for the rear and an interior camera another Sony Sensor the IMX307 2MP with Infrared lighting cleanly disguised in the facia.

Large Aperture of F1.8 front F1.9 on the rear will allow a good amount of light in benefitting night driving.

Using 5GHz Wifi has proven on other models and brands that this really does improve in the speed video can be streamed to you phone and downloaded to your phone.

Having the 2.4GHz allows backward compatibility for older mobile phones.

The incredibly improved GPS capabilities is fantastic. Viofo has been listening to its customers and this is one of the results.
High accuracy GPS is a personal favorite of mine as it will be able to record car crashes that spin or go off road much better giving a clear understanding of what really happened. ( I hope to test that :) )

I love the design of the A series wedge shape and have purchased their very first model A119 with the left right camera motion as well as up down motion.

Here are the specs I found on Viofo A229 Pro Website page Trimmed to the A229 Pro features.

1695769400213.png

They would probably still be on 2K resolution due to heat issues in hot places like Oz! Hopefully we will see 4K heat issues being resolved with the A229 Pro, but it might need some improvements from the memory cards too, they still seem to be getting hot and slowing down too much.

Agree. I'm hoping a heat sink has been placed on the card slot or some form of heat dissipation.
Having the larger shape and more vent holes is what gives me some hope this might be the solution.

Last time El Nino happened in Australia I watch some of my Green leaf plants that are always green year round actually burn. I'd never seen heat/sun that strong before or at least in the 14 years I have lived in this house.

I'm hoping a heat sink has been placed on the card slot or some form of heat dissipation.
The original A229 feels much lighter, and hollow compared to the A229 Pro & A229 Plus.
RCG530 put them on the scale and the original was 5oz. and the Pro was 6oz.
Maybe I will pop the hood to take a peek. lol
Would that make you happy?

The original A229 feels much lighter, and hollow compared to the A229 Pro & A229 Plus.
RCG530 put them on the scale and the original was 5oz. and the Pro was 6oz.
Maybe I will pop the hood to take a peek. lol
Would that make you happy?
We would cream ourselves if you did that, so yes please do :D

From now on I will be moving all my testing of the A229 Pro & A229 Plus to my new Only Fans Dash Cam channel.
I'll get the hand lotion and paper towels ready ;)

Back