A229 Pro, when?

Interesting that the A229 Plus gets a mention, as far as I can see there is no category for it in this forum, should this one be called A229 plus / pro?

When I learned about the plus I cancelled my pro preorder and I'm now unsure which one to get. Thinking the plus gets 90% of the pro for 2/3 of the price... which might end up costing me more as I already have a functional dashcam in my fun car but nice to get plus for that one too so they share the experience...

Any thoughts on plus vs pro? Or maybe I'll just wait... 44 hours or so perhaps to make a call :D

At the moment my A229 Pro does not display the speed or GPS co-ordinates.
Mine works.
But I discovered by accident it does not work with the original A229 Duo GPS mount.

A229 Pro GPS Module .png
A229 Duo GPS Module .png
I am sure VIOFO will get the GPS fixed soon enough.
Mine works.
It's possible Paul has a defective module.

Interesting that the A229 Plus gets a mention, as far as I can see there is no category for it in this forum, should this one be called A229 plus / pro?

When I learned about the plus I cancelled my pro preorder and I'm now unsure which one to get. Thinking the plus gets 90% of the pro for 2/3 of the price... which might end up costing me more as I already have a functional dashcam in my fun car but nice to get plus for that one too so they share the experience...

Any thoughts on plus vs pro? Or maybe I'll just wait... 44 hours or so perhaps to make a call :D
If you want 4K then you need the A229 Pro.
If you only need 2K, then you just need to buy the A229 Plus. ;)

While waiting... Musing on my "needs" (dashcam user since 16yrs but never gone "fancy" before):

Already have a mirror dashcam in car no2 with so-so front footage and good rear, now thinking of perhaps adding the plus 3 ch to do front, left and right. I.e. using the interior cam as an outside cam. Does this work? Since the cable is only 1m, does a longer one exists, alt. does an USB-C extension cable work? (quick google didn't show anything useful on this subject)

While waiting... Musing on my "needs" (dashcam user since 16yrs but never gone "fancy" before):

Already have a mirror dashcam in car no2 with so-so front footage and good rear, now thinking of perhaps adding the plus 3 ch to do front, left and right. I.e. using the interior cam as an outside cam. Does this work? Since the cable is only 1m, does a longer one exists, alt. does an USB-C extension cable work? (quick google didn't show anything useful on this subject)
If the interior cam has the 3.5mm ending then it would be rather finicky getting it to work as an outside cam, plus the current levels would drop the longer the cable is. Might be placed in the too hard basket unfortunately..

That's almost what I plan to do with it.
It will look like this;
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a229-pro-when.48388/post-602014
Would the plus be affected likewise with dropped bitrates if running all three channels? Any other compromises when running all three channels, does HDR work on all 3 simultaneously? Etc? Questions to be answered in the coming week ;)
If the interior cam has the 3.5mm ending then it would be rather finicky getting it to work as an outside cam, plus the current levels would drop the longer the cable is. Might be placed in the too hard basket unfortunately..
Small sportscar so 1m (not 5m) extension will probably suffice, still an issue then?

Would the plus be affected likewise with dropped bitrates if running all three channels? Any other compromises when running all three channels, does HDR work on all 3 simultaneously? Etc? Questions to be answered in the coming week ;)

Small sportscar so 1m (not 5m) extension will probably suffice, still an issue then?
If it's a tiny car then sounds like you could get away with it

Is it best to wait till Amazon gets their inventory or buy now? When does Amazon usually get their inventory?

Is it best to wait till Amazon gets their inventory or buy now? When does Amazon usually get their inventory?
Not sure when Amazon specifically receives their inventory, but whether you buy from Amazon or Viofo directly you should be good.

As an alternative, consider purchasing from CaptureYourAction. You couldn't ask for a better, more conscientious authorized Viofo seller who offers excellent support you won't get from Amazon. He's here on the forum every day. I'm sure he'll have the camera in stock very soon.

Last edited:
Is it best to wait till Amazon gets their inventory or buy now?
If you order now, you'll receive the new model a little before it appears on Amazon.
You will also receive a branded 256GB memory card from Viofo as a gift.
When purchasing on Amazon, you will not receive a branded 256GB memory card from Viofo as a gift.
The choice is yours. No one can make a decision for you.

If you order now, you'll receive the new model a little before it appears on Amazon.
You will also receive a branded 256GB memory card from Viofo as a gift.
When purchasing on Amazon, you will not receive a branded 256GB memory card from Viofo as a gift.
The choice is yours. No one can make a decision for you.
On the other hand Amazon offers the SquareTrade/AllState extended warranty for 2 years at $31 (used A139 Pro 2 ch listing to estimate warranty cost/time https://a.co/d/9Z19ndg )

On the other hand Amazon offers the SquareTrade/AllState extended warranty for 2 years at $31 (used A139 Pro 2 ch listing to estimate warranty cost/time https://a.co/d/9Z19ndg )
The website https://viofo.com/ has an 18-month warranty at no additional charge.
Even after the warranty period has expired, the manufacturer does not abandon users and always helps.
There are plenty of examples of this on the forum.

Regarding Amazon....as far as I know all new VIOFO dashcams are sold on Amazon via the VIOFO store front, or an authorised VIOFO vendor such as Blackboxmycar.
In the past, the VIOFO dashcams show up on Amazon and at the brick amd mortar stores about the same time. I think there is about a months lag between the release
from VIOFO/China and the Amazon, or other vendors. In other words, I have pre-ordered the A290 Pro from VIOFO/China. I will probably get the camera the middle of
October. Unless something has changed, I would think the dashcams will show up on Amazon around the first to mid November.

As far as North American vendors, the prices seem to be pretty consistant between vendors and the company store. You will however, get the fastest shipping from
Amazon or the brick and mortar stores. I am in the U.S. and in the past, I have found Blackboxmycar to be stellar.

I pre-ordered from Viofo and received a shipping confirmation last night. While I'd honestly prefer BBMC, I doubt they get it in before I receive mine.

Back